Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Atkins diet - Possible Health Risk - Is really this diet safe?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    Carbohydrates are a non-essential macronutrient. It is only since our ancestors made the transition from hunter-gatherers to farmers that they became a significant part of our diets.
    As much as I love carbs and enjoy my abilty to handle them well, this statement is correct.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    No, that statement isn't correct. It's a theory that can't be proven, so let's move on to something concrete and factual and can be tested since we live here and now.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-17-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

They're nonessential. Our body does not require them to operate.

Every nutrient is essential in some amount. That statement defies all scientific data.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Every nutrient is essential in some amount. That statement defies all scientific data.
    Ummm, explain how carbohydrate ingestion is essential
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-17-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Do you realize that fiber is a form of carbohydrates?

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    They're nonessential. Our body does not require them to operate.
    I don't know if this can be proven anymore than saying fat isn't required or protein.

Has anyone been on a 0 carb diet for years? I guess I'd like to see the information on it. I'd like to see if they are healthy, can run, swim, bike, lift weights like the best of us. I'd like to see if they have endurance and everything else.

So, does anyone have evidence that 0 carbs is the ultimate way to be? Because until there is a study, it is nothing but a theory that is unproven.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    I don't know if this can be proven anymore than saying fat isn't required or protein.
    Ok, ...guys, ...do you all really know about this stuff or are you speculating like alot of people do on this forum?

Ok, ...guys, ...do you all really know about this stuff or are you speculating like alot of people do on this forum?
    Why are you dodging the question? You could live quite a long time without any fat in your diet, or without any protein. Eventually you will die, but you can live without it (for a while). Which is just as credable as your statement that says "You don't need them operate".
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 03-17-2006 at 06:52 PM.

It's my major.

If carbs weren't essential, your body wouldn't have to convert protein and the glycerol portions of fats into glucose via gluconeogenesis to be used by the body. That's pretty much your body's reaction to not ingesting carbs.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-17-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Why are you dodging the question?
    Which question did I dodge?
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-17-2006 at 06:54 PM.

It's my major.

If carbs weren't essential, your body wouldn't have to convert protein and the glycerol portions of fats into glucose via gluconeogenesis to be used by the body. That's pretty much your body's reaction to not ingesting carbs.
    The fact that they can be synthesised is the very definition of non-essential, no?

Since I believe we were created
    And on that note my participation in this discussion is ended.

It's my major.

Right. Carbohydrate ingestion is not completely necessary. So you agree?

Which question did I dodge?
    Has there been a study done on this? Has anyone lived on 0 carbs for an extended period of time (years) and then checked out medically whether they are healthy or not. Until you provide information on a study like that, your theory isn't grounded.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 03-17-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Has there been a study done on this? Has anyone lived on 0 carbs for an extended period of time (years) and then checked out medically whether they are healthy or not.
    I didn't orginally address anything directly related to that so it's really not my question to answer.

That doesn't really have any direct relation to the queston if carbs are essential or not, which is what I did address.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-17-2006 at 06:58 PM.

The fact that they can be synthesised is the very definition of non-essential, no?
    That is not the context for which I am referring to.

That is not the context for which I am referring to.

So you have no evidence to back it up. No, real world evidence.

Your statement of "The body can operate without them" can apply to any of the macronutrients for a given amount of time. So, logically i'd have to presume that you meant the body could live without them for its entire duration... Then, with that, I just want proof that you can. I want proof that if it isn't "essential" then they are not required for health or longevity.

All I'm saying is glucose itself is essential to the body. Obviously the body can produce glucose by itself, but you must be taking in a lot of protein so you don't sacrifice your body tissues...since the glucose will be formed from amino acids after the nitrogren part is stripped and converted to glucose.

All I'm saying is glucose itself is essential to the body.
    Agreed. Good deal

So you have no evidence to back it up. No, real world evidence.

Your statement of "The body can operate without them" can apply to any of the macronutrients for a given amount of time. So, logically i'd have to presume that you meant the body could live without them for its entire duration... Then, with that, I just want proof that you can. I want proof that if it isn't "essential" then they are not required for health or longevity.
    I don't to slap a study on here to know what I am talking about. If you want a study, you can look one up.

You really don't even need a study. A good textbook will have plenty of info to keep you busy.

I don't to slap a study on here to know what I am talking about. If you want a study, you can look one up.

You really don't even need a study. A good textbook will have plenty of info to keep you busy.
    A lot of things look great on paper, but when taken into reality, fall flat on their face. I looked and found no studies of a 0 carbohydrate diet and I believe strongly because it isn't ideal and that carbs are therefore essential to our well-being.

Case closed for me, I guess, unless someone wants to show me a study that I am unable to find.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 03-17-2006 at 07:09 PM.

People always talk about ketone bodies forming in the blood when low carbs are ingested (ketone bodies are not a good replacement for glucose in providing energy for the nervous system and brain). This actually isn't the case. Ketone bodies form after the glucose in the body runs out. Meaning, there are no more amino acids to convert to glucose, thus drawing upon fat for the main source of energy. If the protein intake is high enough, the body can continue converting amine groups to glucose via gluconeogenesis. You want this process to keep up so you'll have glucose for your brain/nervous system/etc.. Ketone bodies are nowhere near as efficient as glucose for supplying energy to the brain. Glucose is essentially "brain food". So if you are going to skimp on carbs, keeping the fat and especially protein higher, you can keep this process from happening. You also want the protein intake higher so the protein won't be sacrified to the body over your muscles.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-17-2006 at 07:13 PM.

A lot of things look great on paper, but when taken into reality, fall flat on their face. I looked and found no studies of a 0 carbohydrate diet and I believe strongly because it isn't ideal and that carbs are therefore essential to our well-being.

Case closed for me, I guess, unless someone wants to show me a study that I am unable to find.
    Ideal and essential are two different things.