The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Ummm, Speed days ?

Few questions about speed days.

Question Number Zero: Does anyone here have "Speed days".... or "Dynamic blah blah...something" day ?

Question Number One: Doing regular deadlifts, or squats, or bench press at 50% of 1rm as fast as you can.. is that considered a speed day ?

Question Number Two: Do you have to be a professional powerlifter to get benefits from "speed days" ?

Q. 3: Can newbie/ or intermediate lifters benefit from speed days ?
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    As far as I know, speed days are good for anyone.
    Stats:
    17 yrs old
    180 lbs
    5'10"

Maxes :
    Squat:500
    Bench: 250
    Clean:245
    Dead Lift: 515

Running PRs (without wind):
    40m: 4.39
    100m: 10.86 FAT::::10.62 Handtime

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Question number mine: What are your goals?

Someone who is solely interested in mass really will be wasting time doing speed days. A lot of strong ass people never do speed days and never have. I really would only throw it in if you are interested mainly in strength or if you're an athlete.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 03-18-2006 at 05:23 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Question Number Zero: Does anyone here have "Speed days".... or "Dynamic blah blah...something" day ?

** Yes

Question Number One: Doing regular deadlifts, or squats, or bench press at 50% of 1rm as fast as you can.. is that considered a speed day ?

** Basically. The point is to move a submaximal weight as fast as possible.

Question Number Two: Do you have to be a professional powerlifter to get benefits from "speed days" ?

** No.

Q. 3: Can newbie/ or intermediate lifters benefit from speed days ?

** Depends on their goals
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    if you dont like having whole days devoted to just speed (i think its kind of a waste), try just adding 1-2 sets of explosive 'speed' sets to whatever lifts you're already doing. i like to do it quickly after my last normal set but with a much reduced weight so that my muscles are still tired. i find it very beneficial as it trains your muscles to be explosive even when fatigued.

Olympic lifts - meet many goals at once
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 03-20-2006 at 12:37 AM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Q4: how often do you do speed days?

0. yes

1. maybe. If the resistance is adequate to allow full transfer of power, then 50% is correct. However, it will be too light for most people. A better guideline: use the heaviest weight you can do for all reps without "straining". If you can do your last rep of your last set as quickly as the first, then the weight is too light. If you start grinding out your reps at set 5 then it's too heavy.

2. nope. A good exercise is a good exercise. If speed is one of your weaknesses, then train it. If you don't need to do it (yet), then don't.

3. see 2.

Quote Originally Posted by phreak
    1. maybe. If the resistance is adequate to allow full transfer of power, then 50% is correct. However, it will be too light for most people. A better guideline: use the heaviest weight you can do for all reps without "straining". If you can do your last rep of your last set as quickly as the first, then the weight is too light. If you start grinding out your reps at set 5 then it's too heavy.
    Adding to this - A beginner or intermediate lifter will use a higher % of his/her 1RM than an advanced lifter. A beginner might have no problem using 70% for DE work.

IMHO, just about anyone can benefit from speed work, but I wouldn't say it's critical for most novice and intermediate lifters.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Apart from the explosive benefits i've found a speed day is a nice break from going really heavy and actually helps me recover quicker.

A speed day isn't a break. DE Squat is the hardest workout of the week for me.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Its not easy but compared to my heavy days I consider it a break.

Goals? Just want to see the main lifts go up. Get bigger to (Let's not talk about getting bigger in this thread). Anyways the deadlift is all about speed (that faster you can pull the bar, the easier it is...uuh I think anyways.), so I'm training for speed in the deadlift, hopefully it'll help my poundages go up. I do SPeed pulls of deadlift/squat/and bench every other week. Not sure if that's enough. I don't do "heavy" deadlifts every week, so I replace that with speed days.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 03-23-2006 at 07:25 AM.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    (that faster you can pull the bar, the easier it is...uuh I think anyways.).
    - For me its form if i go to fast it kills my back for few weeks.

Everything that Paul Stagg posted is right on the money.
    Last edited by M.J.H.; 03-23-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Who is Paul Stagg?

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Who is Paul Stagg?
    bahaha. A mod. One of the longer standing members of the board. A good resource in regards to strength training.

Oh and he's in post number 4. Look up.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again