Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew's 6 food groups for weight gain

Drew's 6 food groups for weight gain

OK, first off, this isn't in the diet/nutrition section for one good reason, it's not much of a "healthy" diet. But it will make you pack on the lbs. And if you're a powerlifter, I know you want to pack on some quality poundage. So anyway, these are the basic foodgroups that got me from a measly 177 up to 212 in just 7 months:

#1 MEAT: I'm not talking chicken and fish. THose are great foods, and you should be eating them, but without a bunch of bloody red meat, you just won't be maximizing your poundage potential. Cow and bison and anything large and furry is key here. If you can get a hold of some bear meat, I would highly recommend it (make sure to marinate that sucker, it can be tough to chew otherwise).

#2 Milk: Forget skim milk, you might as well drink more water (you should be drinking at least a gallon or two a day anyway, especially with all the crap I want you to eat here). Whole milk is your best friend when you want to gain weight. I try to get at least a half gallon every day (and hey, if you need a box of cookies to get it all down, all the better).

#3 Nuts/seeds: Peanut butter baby. Lots of it. I like to put peanut butter on anything I can. PB cups are also a great snack (I do so love the Reese's PB eggs that they put out at Easter. I can eat a bag of those every day.) I also eat a ton of almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds. Natty PB is great, but I love Skippy. I keep both on hand, as Skippy tastes so good with Ritz crackers.

#4 Beer: I'm talking heavy beer. Guinness is best. I like to have on or two after a lifting session. Helps relax me and gets in some extra liquid cals that I could easily get with a protein shake (I still like to have 2 or 3, with whole milk every day) but it tastes so much better. If you don't drink, you're probably some kind of hippie, so you're most likely a vegetarian and I have no time for you. Unless you're a hot chick. Just don't try to make me stop eating furry animals. That just won't fly.

#5 Ice cream: Sure, lots of sugar, lots of fat. AND THAT'S WHY YOU'LL GAIN WEIGHT! I like to eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's every night. If there's peanutbutter in it, even better! (2 food groups in one meal!). I've been known to eat a gallon of ice cream in one sitting.

#6 Vegetables!: Yeah yeah yeah, I know. But come on, you need to try and be healthy here. I try to eat a pound of veggies every day. I just but 1lb bogs of frozen vegetables and try to eat one every day. I love Peas, broccoli and cauliflower. I try to mix it up as much as possible to keep from getting bored. This, along with about 10g of fish oil will (hopefully) keep me from having any kind of heart problems.

So there it is. These are the basics of what I eat every day. I don't count calories anymore. I just eat when I'm hungry and until I'm full (this doesn't happen easily). If I had to make an educated guess, I'm at about 6500 cals a day. Still not quite big enough, so I'll have to find a way to get more food in. I still eat a lot of chicken, turkey, fish, and beans (all the basics) but these 6 foods have really helped me bust through and gain some real weight. My fat% has increased about 2% through these last 35 lbs. Hopefully I can get close to 230 sometime this year. I may even go as high as 250, but I just won't know until I get there. Until then, keep eating and keep lifting heavy.

Balls out baby. Balls out.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Drew,

I can see the sense in the big beef, whole milk and pb munching to put weight.. but ice cream and beer? Granted I'm from a BB background, but was just wondering if you were 100% serious about those two?

If you were serious,
    Last edited by brickt.; 03-19-2006 at 02:42 AM.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

i enjoyed the ice-cream and beer
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I was absolutely serious about all of them. Like I said, it's not the healthiest diet ever, but it WILL pack lots of weight on you. How you handle that weight is up to you.

i eat ice cream and drink lots of beer. i am progressing pretty well if i do say so myself.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Excellent list!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

#4 Beer: I'm talking heavy beer. Guinness is best. I like to have on or two after a lifting session. Helps relax me and gets in some extra liquid cals that I could easily get with a protein shake (I still like to have 2 or 3, with whole milk every day) but it tastes so much better. If you don't drink, you're probably some kind of hippie, so you're most likely a vegetarian and I have no time for you. Unless you're a hot chick. Just don't try to make me stop eating furry animals. That just won't fly.
    I can fully back this up. I gained 10 lbs easy drinking a few guinness a night.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Well, it's ideal for the forum it's in
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

what did you start at in terms of bf %?

I was about 12% now 14% (caliper, 7-site).

The peanut butter, milk, and meat I'll agree with.

I'll concur with the beer item.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

mmm ice cream...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Hah, awesome drew.

I'm not much of a alcohol person, but icecream will suit me just fine

I'll be the first to admit I could care less about health benefits and I am certainly no powerlifter. But FOR ME, over eating ice cream and stuff like that makes me feel like absolute ****e. Which always leads to poor workouts. I eat like this on vacation to keep cals up and I always feel pretty crappy. Possibly I'm just not used to it.

Whatever works best for ya, go for it. Just giving another opinion.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Hey, if it makes you feel sick and is a detriment, then by all means avoid it. The worst I've ever gotten from this kind of diet is a little indigestion here and there. Which is why I keep a bottle of Tums handy.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Oh this must be the Powerlifting forum...Yup.
    Just bypass all this nancy **** and start spoonfeeding yourself Crisco.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Guiness vs. Crisco?? Guiness vs. Crisco?? I'll take Guiness any day of the week.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Would it be OK to drop 1-3, 5 & 6 and simply load up on #4? I suppose squatting would be tough though.

best diet ever...
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Drew for Presidante!

That was basically my bulking diet.

Went from 150 - 210, put on about 4% bf though .
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

60lbs and only 4% bf....I hate you and your genetics
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey66
    That was basically my bulking diet.

Went from 150 - 210, put on about 4% bf though .
    I'd be supremely happy if I went from say 150 @ 10 to 210 @ 14 eating a diet full of icecream and t-bones.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    The problem with the diet, that I see, is the torture you are going ton induce when you decide to cut. If you have no plans to cut, gorge away. But if you start eating ice cream on a daily basis along with a lot of other junk food, your are going to be in crazy withdrawal for a long time. I'd say your chances of failure increase when cutting after an uncontrolled bulk. Willpower is strong in people, even me, but I doubt it would be easy to go from eating 6,000 calories a day to 3,000. Even if you did it in stages, it would take a long time to get to the body fat you want...

Basically, (no offense to Drew here) I see nothing special in this list other than that it is calorie dense. You don't even have the pick the foods he mentioned. Just take in tons of meat and full proteins, tons of fat and however many carbs you want. Pig out... Lift hard... Rest... Grow.