The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

deads every week...not working out

am i the only one who can barely do deads every week? due to circumstances i cant control i had to take a week off on 2 occasions over the alst 6 weeks, and the week i got back i set PR on deads. if i go every week i dont even come close

is it ok to do deads every other week instead of every week? and by ok i mean will it not be enough after awhile

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I wouldn't recommend using max effort on deads every week.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

i do them at least once a week, sometimes twice
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I do them twice a week(Conventional/SLDL). I think you could continue doing them every week, just stay a rep or two short of failure most of the time.
    Last edited by Stackattack; 03-06-2006 at 07:33 AM.

If you can't do them every week, DON'T.

Try every other week. Try using something else. Rack pulls or RDLs instead.

Deads are extremely hard on your body, so don't do them too often.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I do deads once a week, without problems. If you can't then don't, once every couple of weeks is fine.

I could probably do them twice a week if I wanted to.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

As your weights climb, you won't be able to do them more than once a week without chemical assistance. Like Drew said, they beat your body down. You work more muscles in synergism with deads than any other exercise. They truly are a full body movement. So, if you aint progressing with every week, then every other week is fine.

DJ

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    As your weights climb, you won't be able to do them more than once a week without chemical assistance. Like Drew said, they beat your body down. You work more muscles in synergism with deads than any other exercise. They truly are a full body movement. So, if you aint progressing with every week, then every other week is fine.

DJ
    Everyones recovery is different. I know several people (natural) who do them at least twice a week. However, they do not go up to their max, except once every 6 weeks or so.

Say, one did 650 at a meet, but reps down at 500 for 3 - 5 reps etc... But going until failure every week IS possible, but you may not get stronger that way.

Banned
    im doing sets of 4 and 5 with nearly as much weight as i can, so maybe ill do rack pulls every other week

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    If you can't do them every week, DON'T.

Try every other week. Try using something else. Rack pulls or RDLs instead.

Deads are extremely hard on your body, so don't do them too often.
    I agree... You have to do what is best for you.

You have already been able to determine that once every other week for you enables you to be stronger, so stick with that.

Other alternatives are perhaps cycling between high and low intensity?

You could also look to focus on recovery a little more. Make sure you are eating well enough to fully recover and you training around deadlifts is sensible as to allow for optimal recovery.

You could also try ETS also.. Many of our customers experience a significant increase in the ability to be able to recover from workouts. This may well give you the edge to be able to train weekly with deads and make better progress.

Theres only 1 way to find out, try it...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

As far as ETS goes, it is tremendous for recovery, especially from deads. But it still isn't going to keep them from killing you. lol

Would alternating power cleans and deads be an option, or will cleans being extremly taxing as your body as well, which will defeat the purpose of not doing deads that week?
    Last edited by gator; 03-06-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Cleans are not the same thing as deads. But I guess it really depends on your goals. You should never max out on cleans (unless you're an Oly lifter).

Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    As your weights climb, you won't be able to do them more than once a week without chemical assistance.
    I don't know about that. A lot of this will depend on the individual. There are a lot of people who can handle deadlifting heavy every week (and a lot who can't).

Like Drew said, they beat your body down. You work more muscles in synergism with deads than any other exercise. They truly are a full body movement. So, if you aint progressing with every week, then every other week is fine
    DJ
    I think DLs are just like anything else - if you want to get better at them, you have to practice them FREQUENTLY. Not necessarily heavy, but perfect practice does make perfect.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

^^^ Yes!

I set PRs by dropping back from my max weight a little and doing a few more reps. Next time I come back my max has gone up. Working on the max itself just makes me really tired and I always get stuck and rarely improve the next time.

Rack Pulls....Every Week

it sounds like your lower back or grip can't keep up when you do them every week. Figure out your the weakpoint and fix it or do deads every other week.

If you want to do them every week, then alternate a heavy week with a moderate to light week. Scale it back and go for the PR's only so often.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Thoughts on the 'No-Deadlift Deadlift Routine': http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=66251
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Once I got past a certain point, training the deadlift with any type of weight became pretty pointless on a weekly basis.

The reason is the nature of the lift. It's very CNS demanding to pull a weight from a dead stop; it requires not only maximal strength but a measure of strength-speed as well in order to generate that kind of force. Considering that the deadlift is typically the lift that generates the most voluntary force output (ie, a squat may be heavier if equipped, but it's the equipment providing the extra boost, not the CNS), it's also going to generate the most fatigue.

Before I became a mid/high 500 puller, it wasn't too difficult to pull weekly and make gains for 3-4 weeks at a time. Now, the approach that's working for me is to switch towards a concentrated loading schedule, devoting an entire month towards deadlift development.

Basically, focus the cycle on hard squatting, with some speed pulls left in to maintain technique. Then drop the squats and volume, and peak the deadlift.

I don't think the deadlift should ever be dropped, but in order to get the best gains out of it beyond a certain point, heavy training of the movement should be restricted.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

"We didn't deadlift for months and when meet time came I said to Louie 'What the hell do I open with?'" - Dave Tate

Deadlifts are fine every week.

I do conventional deadlift every Tuesday and SLDL every Friday. Initially it was taking a lot out of me, but I have the most important variables dialed in: pre- and post-workout nutrition, rest, and the often overlooked ab training. Most of the time, injury and excessive soreness stems from a strength imbalance... ie. hams vs. quads, abs vs. lower back, etc.

Deadlifts are fine every week.
    Agreed.

And even 2x a week if you're doing them heavier and to/closer to failure in one of the sessions and lighter and nowhere near failure in the other. Such as a program like Westside where deadlifts twice a week are very beneficial.