The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Help - Novice who wants to compete

I am new to this forum and am looking for advice on how to begin a competition-bound training program. I have been weight training for many years, with the last year being the most focused. I would like to compete in a novice catergory in November (AZ show) and have 7 months! I am including below the routine I have today, as well as the supplements I am taking. Please let me know if I am on the right track and what else I can do.

Weight Routine: - I typically do 3-4 different exercises per body part with 45sec. rest between "ALL" sets. I am strict in this regard.
    Mon/Fri: Chest, Shoulders, Tris
    Tue: Abs
    Wed: Back, Bis

Cardio Routine:
    Mon/Wed/Fri: 20-30min (early evening) (typically elliptical due to bad knee)

Supplements:
    Protien: Whey protien, taking roughly 100grams/day
    Creatine: XPand (by Dymatize Nutrition- Taking 1/day or 2/day before/after workout
    Glutamine: by VPX-http://www.vpxsports.com/newweb/products/products.asp Taking 20-25grams/day
    Amino: Xtend (by SCIvation-http://www.scivation.com/product_3.html Taking 11grams per weight training workout

Diet: Diet today is mediocre and would require improvement, but what meals to move to are where I need help? I need a meal plan.

I am highly motivated to change my lifestyle and sacrifice what I need to in order to get my body more lean, muscular and defined. I just need thelp in what to change? I already know I need to put more work into my routines and push my muscles further.

Thanks for your time and help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well it's nice to see someone who is motivated. First off exactly what kind of competition are we talking about? I'm assuming a powerlifting or bodybuilding competition in which case you ARE GOING TO HAVE TO START LIFTING LEGS (I didn't see it in your routine there).
    What foods to move to? We have a link/thread here that is the gold standard for that:
    What a Bodybuilder Eats
    In general make sure you're eating a lot of protein and healthy fats. Though I do not have your stats (would be helpful if you want some better advice), 100grams of protein is probably not enough for you. Of course I'm not sure whether 100grams is your total for the day or the total that you get just from the protein supplement/shake.

When it comes to strength, 45 seconds is probably not enough rest between sets. You want to be able to put up as much weight as possible for each set and giving yourself a longer rest period (2+ minutes) is probably what you should aim for. Also take note that for strength gains, the optimal repetition range per set is usually anywhere from 1-4 reps.

If you are training for size then understand that to gain muscle you will also probably need to gain some fat. To gain muscle you need to eat more food. The more you eat above your maintenance level of calories, the more weight you'll put on but the higher the percentage of that extra weight that will be fat. Hopefully this makes sense to you, let me know if it doesn't.
    For bodybuilding the usual repetition range per set is around 8-12 (this is a sort of average, find what's best for you though it should be around this range) and while rests don't need to be too long, they should probably be at least 1.5 minutes between sets.

Cardio may or may not be necessary based on what kind of competition you're going for. In general one's physique can me altered just through weightlifting and diet.

Your supplements look fine. I'm not quite sure I buy into the Amino Xtend thing but hey if you feel like taking it go for it, it probably won't hurt you at all (though it may be a waste of money). The other supplements look fine.

Anyway give us your stats, maybe the specific exercises in your routine, and let us know if it's a bodybuilding or powerlifting competition you're going for. Oh yeah, and start lifting your legs...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me