Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73

Thread: Losing fat, gaining muscle, at the same time

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322

    Losing fat, gaining muscle, at the same time

    Basically, is this possible, and if so what do I have to do? I really want to get bigger more defined muscles, but not have to go through a process of bulking first. If I carry on lifting weights, but focus mainly on losing fat, will my muscles disappear, or will they just stay the same, but not get bigger? Just to clarify, I'm not looking to get massive, just nicely defined.
    Last edited by Nickthebassist; 03-21-2006 at 02:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Big, Strong, Fast Machine MJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    602
    It is possible but very difficult. Every member of this board (I think) bulks then cuts. Bulking is where you get your mass, obviously and cutting is where you get your definition. These boards are called Wanna Be Big so bulk up buddy. Don't worry about looking fantastic til summer .. you can cut easily in 2 months. If you are planning on cutting though, read Built's cutting guide in her sig and use it like a bible. Low reps high weight is key as well as your diet to train your body to burn fat not LBM. Good luck.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

    6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

    Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    it is very possible (even without lifting weights) to lose fat while gaining muscle.

    the key is macronutrient partitioning. lowering carbs while increasing protein and fats burns fat while preserving or increasing muscle.

    the only problem with this is that you dont have energy when you workout, so you need to incorporate nutrient timing and eat carbs before and after a workout that way you have enough energy to really attack the weights.

    Its called carb cycling. it really works. built can tell you more on this than probably anyone on here.

  4. #4
    shot a man in reno Mik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Neil's Garage
    Posts
    6,665
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    it is very possible (even without lifting weights) to lose fat while gaining muscle.

    the key is macronutrient partitioning. lowering carbs while increasing protein and fats burns fat while preserving or increasing muscle.

    the only problem with this is that you dont have energy when you workout, so you need to incorporate nutrient timing and eat carbs before and after a workout that way you have enough energy to really attack the weights.

    Its called carb cycling. it really works. built can tell you more on this than probably anyone on here.

    I may have missed something but how/why would your body build muscle if not being overloaded in some fashion ie lifting weights?

  5. #5
    Big, Strong, Fast Machine MJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    602
    Agreed. To gain muscle you have to cause tension to stimulate protein syntesis. I agree that you need protein and fats to stimulate muscle growth but without the tension you are SOL.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

    6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

    Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

  6. #6
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    One of the tricks involved is moving from lower carb (which, if I'm getting this right, induces whole body insulin resistance, good on lower calories and insulin levels) to higher carb right after you lift (when your muscles are preferentially insulin sensitive, time to feed 'em the carb and stimulate the insulin response).

    If you're fairly new to lifting, you will typically enjoy the newbie honeymoon where you'll gain LBM while dropping bodyfat - I've done this, so I absolutely know it is possible. Once you're fairly muscular and your training is progressing well, you'll typically have to choose between a cut and a bulk.

    - Signed, the (currently) fatassed bulking chick.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    I may have missed something but how/why would your body build muscle if not being overloaded in some fashion ie lifting weights?
    I have absolutely no idea, but the study I read said that people who were put on a high protein, lower carb diet gained 2 lbs of muscle and lost 7 lbs of fat on average over a 6 week period.

    maybe the body recognizes that it is losing fat fast and not restoring it so since it is in positive nitrogen balance decides to convert some of the protein into muscle. I dont know

  8. #8
    Sculpted by Science brickt.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    - Signed, the (currently) fatassed bulking chick.
    Oh, honey! Don't be sad; I'll be around your place in a sec.. so, Chunky Munky or Phish Phood?
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12,251
    ive done it but it has almost came to a complete halt for about 2 months now along with strength gains the horrors of cutting.
    2000 or bust

  11. #11
    Sculpted by Science brickt.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,015
    Go for recomposition if your ideal physique is to be lean and muscular.

    Go for bulking and cutting if your ideal physique is to be a freak of nature.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

  12. #12
    Sculpted by Science brickt.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Never even HEARD of Phish Food!

    Sounds WONDERFUL!
    Haha, MarieAnne, I don't even live anywhere near the states and I know B&J's

    I so have to try some B&J's before I die; someone put some on ice and send it over, STAT!
    Last edited by brickt.; 03-21-2006 at 09:06 PM.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    Go for recomposition if your ideal physique is to be lean and muscular.

    Go for bulking and cutting if your ideal physique is to be a freak of nature.
    My aim is to be lean and muscular, I don't wanna be HUGE, I have no need to be massive. A few more questions I have are: What is recompisition? If you lose body mass, does that mean you lose muscle aswell as fat?, and if so, why does your body lose muscle?

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    One of the tricks involved is moving from lower carb (which, if I'm getting this right, induces whole body insulin resistance, good on lower calories and insulin levels) to higher carb right after you lift (when your muscles are preferentially insulin sensitive, time to feed 'em the carb and stimulate the insulin response).

    If you're fairly new to lifting, you will typically enjoy the newbie honeymoon where you'll gain LBM while dropping bodyfat - I've done this, so I absolutely know it is possible. Once you're fairly muscular and your training is progressing well, you'll typically have to choose between a cut and a bulk.

    - Signed, the (currently) fatassed bulking chick.
    I've been lifting 2 months, but I only reall do bicep exercises, abdominal exercises, tricep exercises, and pec exercises. Those are the main muscle groups I'm looking to build, and I'm not looking to get HUGE, just nicely defined.

  15. #15
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    I've been lifting 2 months, but I only reall do bicep exercises, abdominal exercises, tricep exercises, and pec exercises. Those are the main muscle groups I'm looking to build, and I'm not looking to get HUGE, just nicely defined.
    Do you know the effort that you would have to expend to get huge? Guys try eating 5000 calories a day and lifting heavy five days a week for years to get huge - and a lot of huge people had to resort to chemical stimulation to get there. You. will. not. get. huge. if. you. work. your. entire. body.

    You may believe you only want to develop your arms and chest, but once you get a little muscle in your back and shoulders, you'll realize how dumb it was not to work them all along.

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    Do you know the effort that you would have to expend to get huge? Guys try eating 5000 calories a day and lifting heavy five days a week for years to get huge - and a lot of huge people had to resort to chemical stimulation to get there. You. will. not. get. huge. if. you. work. your. entire. body.

    You may believe you only want to develop your arms and chest, but once you get a little muscle in your back and shoulders, you'll realize how dumb it was not to work them all along.
    I don't really have any way of working them. I don't have a gym membership because my dad won't let me get one because I'm in full time education. He also thinks my whole weight lifting thing is stupid, and won't help with any particular diets, so you have an idea of the odds I'm up against. Also, had a look at the body builder foods, and Built's diet, and I'm stuck on trying to make a diet for a non lifting day. Surely I need some slow release carbs first thing to get my body ticking over? Secondly, should I be doing any running to burn off fat, or should cycling/running/etc be out of my regime?

  17. #17
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    If you have a way of working your biceps, triceps, and pecs, unless this is because you have a curl machine, tricep extension machine, and fly machine in your garage, you have a way of working them.

    One barbell? Bent over rows
    Dumbell(s)? Bent over rows (possibly one arm at a time)
    Anything horizontal that you can hang on? Pull-ups or chins.

    If you have anything heavy, you can do bent rows. And squats. And deadlifts. You can deadlift with a couch, for crying out loud.

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


  18. #18
    Banned M.J.H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    658
    I think its certainly possible with proper diet/supplementation, just my experience.

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    If you have a way of working your biceps, triceps, and pecs, unless this is because you have a curl machine, tricep extension machine, and fly machine in your garage, you have a way of working them.

    One barbell? Bent over rows
    Dumbell(s)? Bent over rows (possibly one arm at a time)
    Anything horizontal that you can hang on? Pull-ups or chins.

    If you have anything heavy, you can do bent rows. And squats. And deadlifts. You can deadlift with a couch, for crying out loud.
    OK, will do some of them then.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Some people like starchy carbs first thing in the AM. I don't. YMMV.
    Will it affect the diet much?

  22. #22

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    No. It might affect appetite.
    OK, thanks for your help. One more thing, will I need to continue doing running and other fat burning exercises, or will the diet mean my body burns fat on its own?

  24. #24
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    You reduce calories - you lose WEIGHT (fat and muscle).

    You lift freakishly heavy pieces of iron, your body grudgingly agrees to risk manage the muscle during the famine, since you insist upon continuing to use it, in spite of the "famine". Body doesn't have enough cals to run the whole shooting match, so it is forced to drop fat.

    Cardio can create a small caloric deficit, and has other health benefits in moderation, but it burns fat and muscle. Use it sparingly on a cut.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    You reduce calories - you lose WEIGHT (fat and muscle).

    You lift freakishly heavy pieces of iron, your body grudgingly agrees to risk manage the muscle during the famine, since you insist upon continuing to use it, in spite of the "famine". Body doesn't have enough cals to run the whole shooting match, so it is forced to drop fat.

    Cardio can create a small caloric deficit, and has other health benefits in moderation, but it burns fat and muscle. Use it sparingly on a cut.
    So no cardio for now? Also, why does your body want to eat muscle? What is in muscle that it can use to feed itself?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •