Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Losing fat, gaining muscle, at the same time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    You need to put that effort in. If it takes you 2-3 hours, then do it for 2-3 hours - Or you just don't want it enough.
    It isn't a lack of effort, it's simply I don't have time to do school work, band work, workout, AND track my diet so carefully. What I could do is keep a running track of everything I eat, and only eat stuff from packs that have the calories written on. Also, am I too much of a beginner to do a carb cycle, or can anyone do it?

Dude, I do fitday every night, and it takes me like 5 minutes, max.

Get a food scale and measure 100g (3.5oz) of oats/chicken/whatever and chuck that into fitday, it'll have it there.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    It isn't a lack of effort, it's simply I don't have time to do school work, band work, workout, AND track my diet so carefully. What I could do is keep a running track of everything I eat, and only eat stuff from packs that have the calories written on. Also, am I too much of a beginner to do a carb cycle, or can anyone do it?
    Lack of time is an excuse. I used to have school, workouts, had to eat 6000 calories a day, and go to wrestling 4x a week (1.5 hours there, 3 hours wrestling, 1.5 hours back home). Yet I found the time to track everything.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 03-25-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

It isn't a lack of effort, it's simply I don't have time to do school work, band work, workout, AND track my diet so carefully.
    Nickthebassist, First thing you need to do is take a step back and think about what your goals are... The second thing you need to do is take the information on this thread, that so many people have taken time to respond to, and utilize it. They aren't making this stuff up and they wouldn't lead you astray. The lifestyle it seems you want is extremely different than the lifestyle you've lived from day one till now. You need to realize this and decide if it's a change you want to make. Those guys and girls with the big muscles and lean physiques didn't poof from thin air... They were made with dilligent effort of counting calories, meal preparation, consistent progressive resistence with weights, and a will and drive to become what they had set out on the very first day when they established their goals... It can be done. There is time, and yes you can do it...

good luck my man on reaching your goals.
    "If I die tonight, did I live today..."

"Every passing moment is another chance to turn it all around."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Dont post things you know very little about. People on these boards are very impressionable and may actually take what you have to say as true. I'm willing to bet that study was done on sedentary overweight individuals. Thus your comparing apples to oranges.

If you are very small, weak and fat then gaining muscle while losing fat is possible although still very very slow and hard to do.
    how much are you willing to bet? maybe YOU should stop posting what you know very little about ( the study)

and please, stop hounding my posts. 90% of the threads you started are about steroids, a topic which I am not interested in, so let me do it the hard, slow way and you go about making your gains the easy, instant gratification way. understood? thanks
    Last edited by WildCard; 03-25-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    Dude, I do fitday every night, and it takes me like 5 minutes, max.

Get a food scale and measure 100g (3.5oz) of oats/chicken/whatever and chuck that into fitday, it'll have it there.
    I suppose I will have to start taking packed lunches to college then, as I can;t measure the stuff I eat there. Also, is the diet on http://www.skippypodar.net/Fitness/carbcycling.html a good diet?

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    how much are you willing to bet? maybe YOU should stop posting what you know very little about ( the study)

and please, stop hounding my posts. 90% of the threads you started are about steroids, a topic which I am not interested in, so let me do it the hard, slow way and you go about making your gains the easy, instant gratification way. understood? thanks

If it doesnt have to do with the topic then take it to PM bro. I've made more progress natty then most ever do so lets keep to the topic at hand. I dont hound your posts and until late last night I didnt even realize I was ripping into the same guy. I very rarely even read the username. I post where I see ignorance, coincidence?

And post the entire study, not just your interpretation of it. Or at least post the authors and journal. I have full access to almost every journal in publication through my University and I'll find it for you.
    Last edited by smalls; 03-26-2006 at 10:54 AM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    I suppose I will have to start taking packed lunches to college then, as I can;t measure the stuff I eat there. Also, is the diet on http://www.skippypodar.net/Fitness/carbcycling.html a good diet?
    Is this a good diet? Will it have any side effects?

That diets looks okay in content and you can definately take ideas from it. However you can't follow it exactly as everyones maintenance calories are different. Your best solution now is to weigh yourself tomorrow morning and then track your diet for a week on fitday. Then post the week journal up on this site with your weight. We can take it from there.

You've been given some really good advice in this thread so I hope you enjoy putting it to good use!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    That diets looks okay in content and you can definately take ideas from it. However you can't follow it exactly as everyones maintenance calories are different. Your best solution now is to weigh yourself tomorrow morning and then track your diet for a week on fitday. Then post the week journal up on this site with your weight. We can take it from there.

You've been given some really good advice in this thread so I hope you enjoy putting it to good use!
    Ok will do. I will follow it for this week as close as I can, and type everything I eat into fitday. The advice I've had in this thread has been very useful, and I'm starting to build up ideas to try to see what works for me.

Banned
    After the first day I feel so tired. Would it be ok to add in a bannana or something at lunch on the first 3 days to help me get through the day, and to help me with my exercise later in the day?(I know Built said she eats carb before and after a work out, even on a cut).

Banned
    OK, yesterday I ate:
    1. Approx. 1 Cup Of Porridge Oats, with a soup spoonful of jam (breakfast, around 8AM)
    2. Half pint of milk + 2.5 soup spoonfuls of dried skimmed milk powder (breakfast)
    3. One medium sized Fuji type apple (meal 2, around 11AM)
    4. 400grams of tuna (lunch, around 12:40)
    5. Around 4 liquified medium tomatoes(Lunch)
    5. Half bunch of raw brocolli
    6. Around 3-4 slices of thickly chopped roast beef(lean)
    7. 2 serving spoonfuls of mashed potato
    8. Around 3/4 of one parsnip, roasted
    9. 1 Serving spoonful of boiled carrots
    10. Around 150ml of gravy(made from gravy powder and beef juices)
    11. Around 2-3 pints of water......would have liked more, as I know lots of water is good.
    I did about 45minutes of weights at about 4PM, that consisted of curls, incline chest flyes, upright rows, and 100 weighted crunches(with a 15lb weight).
    Last edited by Nickthebassist; 03-28-2006 at 11:15 AM.

did you get all of that into fitday? its hard to critique a diet when i can't see the macro's.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff
    did you get all of that into fitday? its hard to critique a diet when i can't see the macro's.
    I did, but personally I don't see Fitday as much use, as it over reads a lot of the foods I eat on the calorie side of things. I can't enter the info myself unfortunately because the packs dont have all the info it requires on. Today I've eaten:
    1. Porridge(same as yesterday).
    2. 1 pint of water
    3. 1 Apple (11AM)
    4. A sausage roll someone gave me (medium sized.....fitday seems to think there's 500 calories in a sausage......)(11AM)
    5. 1 beef sandwich with cold lean beef, in organic wholemeal bread.(lunch)
    6. 1 Mandarin
    7. Around 4 lettuce leaves, bean salad(various beans mixed in a vinegar sauce), raisins and carrots in a vinegar sauce.
    8. 1 casserole, consisting of 1 heaped serving spoonful of mashed potato, 3 Yorkshire sausages, 3 sprigs of cauliflower, 2 sprigs of brocolli, fried potato cake, half a carrot and half a parsnip in the casserole, and around 150 ml of gravy made from gravy powder, sausages juices, and some onion.

I did some bench presses at school(3 sets, first set of 12reps with 120lbs, 2nd sets of 9reps with 110lbs...pathetic, i know). I then did 3 sets of leg presses(a steel plate that you press your feet against when you're sat down, and it lifts a weight) at about 220lbs (15 reps). I'm also going to do some cycling on my cycling machine.

All that you're required to put into FitDay to make a custom food is calories, carbs, protein, and fat. You may think it's useless, but seriously...

How TF am I supposed to know what 'some porridge' and '1 casserole' add up to in calories? Your diet means nothing to me without macros.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Banned
    It's just an idea of what I'm eating. There is no way to be 100% sure what I'm eating, even the nutrition info on the backs of products isn't always bang on. I will try to do this, but it takes an absolute age, and I have a ****load of work to do right now, so time is precious.

Banned
    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Nickthebassist
    Ok, here is my journal. I couldn't enter one thing I ate today(31st March) as it wasn't on there, and I don't have the carton. It was a Big J Orange and Mango smoothie, and there's about 200kcal a pack and it counts as two piece of fruit. So there we go, any ideas? Edit: I haven't put my weight in for the last week, I will start doing that today(didn't realise you could enter your weight each day!)
    Last edited by Nickthebassist; 03-31-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Ahh potato chips a staple in every BB's diet. :P

Protein and Fat are too low, cal's also. Well as far as I know, I don't know what time zone you are in and if this is a full day's record.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Nickthebassist
    Ok, here is my journal. I couldn't enter one thing I ate today(31st March) as it wasn't on there, and I don't have the carton. It was a Big J Orange and Mango smoothie, and there's about 200kcal a pack and it counts as two piece of fruit. So there we go, any ideas? Edit: I haven't put my weight in for the last week, I will start doing that today(didn't realise you could enter your weight each day!)
    Is that ALL you ate today? Even if you're cutting, that's waaaayyyy too low. My 100lb girlfriend eats more than that in a day.

Even including and overestimating the smoothie puts you at 1500kcal.

Nowhere near enough protein or fats or calories in total.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    Bugger.. I've made the same mistake as seK.
    We're in different time zones so the 31st March is almost over here!

Looked at 30th March instead:

Was that burger king your breakfast?

My largest critique would be that you're using the fitday serving sizes. I have found this to be horribly inaccurate. The best approach is to weigh your food and to use the figures on the back of the packet to make a custom item.

I'd be willing to bet that the tuna, curry and milkshake will be wrong. The tuna even says it could be oil or water... there's a HUGE calory and fat content difference there. As for the shake - the content varies so much I'd use your actual shake to enter the figures. And the curry... I never understood what a "cup" was exactly, and fitday has no idea how much meat/veg/sauce etc is in your curry. Besides, there are loads of different types of curry. A korma has a lot more calories than a jalfrezi etc.

Once you've made something a custom item it stays there. I have around 25 common foods that I eat and I make customs for each- saves a lot of time and improves accuracy.

Just a few tips to help you out!
    Last edited by Davidelmo; 03-31-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Banned
    OK, cool I will sort that out. I ate a Sandwich today so I took the wrapper with me so I can enter it all in.......sometimes I just don't eat a lot, but I still feel fat regardless.

OK, yesterday I ate:
    1. Approx. 1 Cup Of Porridge Oats, with a soup spoonful of jam (breakfast, around 8AM)
    2. Half pint of milk + 2.5 soup spoonfuls of dried skimmed milk powder (breakfast)
    3. One medium sized Fuji type apple (meal 2, around 11AM)
    4. 400grams of tuna (lunch, around 12:40)
    5. Around 4 liquified medium tomatoes(Lunch)
    5. Half bunch of raw brocolli
    6. Around 3-4 slices of thickly chopped roast beef(lean)
    7. 2 serving spoonfuls of mashed potato
    8. Around 3/4 of one parsnip, roasted
    9. 1 Serving spoonful of boiled carrots
    10. Around 150ml of gravy(made from gravy powder and beef juices)
    11. Around 2-3 pints of water......would have liked more, as I know lots of water is good.
    I did about 45minutes of weights at about 4PM, that consisted of curls, incline chest flyes, upright rows, and 100 weighted crunches(with a 15lb weight).
    This is one of the strangest diet's I've ever seen.

Liquified tomatoes?

Again, obviously a Brit..
    Last edited by Patz; 04-01-2006 at 02:49 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083