The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

WBB1 for this type of profile!

Hey guys,

Ok, so as most of you read in my other thread 'WBB1 : upper body vs. Lower body', I have had mass gain in the last 2 months, most of the gain (15 pounds) has been in my legs (and ass it appears!), and I seem to be getting ‘out of proportion’, so my goal is to keep the legs at the size they are right now and gain mass on my upper body. How do I plan to do that? Well, here’s my ‘slightly’ modified (leg days) WBB1 :

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 3 x 12-15 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 10 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 12 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 3 x 12-15 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 3 x 10 reps
    Abs (crunches) : 4 x 10

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : Legs
    Squats : 3 x 12-15 reps
    Lunges : 2 x 10 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 12 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 3 x 12-15 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 3 x 10 reps

Day 7 : OFF

Basically, I am changing the routine on the leg day and I will be working out on Saturdays (day 6) as well. I really do not want to gain any more mass on the legs but gain alot on the upper body.

As for my diet, I was thinking of eating like a maniac (protein especially) on Day 1 and Day 5 (upper body workout days) but while still keeping a decent ‘mass oriented’ diet on the other days as well.

What do you guys think? Should I try this out with the goals I have in mind?

Thanks again!

Young_gun

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i get the feeling you will feel absolutely ruined by the end of day 6
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "F—k you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Banned
    wbb1,2&3 are fine as they are unless you cant actually do one of the exercises

the really big part of lifting you should be concerned with is diet and rest. you can do almost any routine you want and as long as that, diet and rest are consistent all together, you will see results. took me more than a year to figure that out

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    It's not that bad, although I would drop the shoulders and arms day. If you are working chest and back heavy, you really don't need a lot of specific arm work. Or put biceps with chest and triceps with back. That gives you an extra day of rest. Remember you do not grow in the gym but out of it. Rest and food are essential to growth. You will not achieve it without both.

if i were you i would stick with the routine that was used for the past 2 months... i mean you've gained 15lbs. Who cares where you are gaining weight at... i mean ride it out until you stall.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    wbb1,2&3 are fine as they are unless you cant actually do one of the exercises

the really big part of lifting you should be concerned with is diet and rest. you can do almost any routine you want and as long as that, diet and rest are consistent all together, you will see results. took me more than a year to figure that out
    I know what you mean. I do like WBB1 as it is, but I figure that if I do more legs (working on resistance rather than hypertrophy), while keeping the same diet, I will stabilize the size of my legs but still keep my upper bo dy groing.

i get the feeling you will feel absolutely ruined by the end of day 6
    Hehehe, well, you are probably right but I'll keep getting the rest I need. However, with summer coming up, I'll probably be riding my bike now and then during the week, so I guess that won't help my weight gain hehe.

if i were you i would stick with the routine that was used for the past 2 months... i mean you've gained 15lbs. Who cares where you are gaining weight at... i mean ride it out until you stall.
    Mmmm, but the routine isn't that much different. Well, I care where I am gaining the wieght at, obviously.

I am mainly wondering: how many of you think this type of program will keep my upper body groing while 'stabilizing' (but still working on strength) my lower body?

Thanks,

Young_gun

Its genetics Young Gun, im exactly the same, The thing is most people can never understand the struggle that someone with great leg genetics and poor upper body has.

Me personally i switched to whole upper body 2x per week and ceased leg training. In the past i tried everything very low reps (1rep sets of 3) or very high (50 reps per set) and my legs still responded.

Its now been 18 months since i trained my lower body and last week i went in and squatted 300lbs ATF no problem, my legs are still 28-29" (few pics in my journal)

Im not saying dont train legs, but it depends on what you want, Branch Warren for example (dont like using pro's as an example but this one is good) took a whole year off leg training and he didnt exactly dissapear to nothing...did he?!

Wannabebig Member
    Its genetics Young Gun, im exactly the same, The thing is most people can never understand the struggle that someone with great leg genetics and poor upper body has.
    Yeah, I know. It comes from my dad especially (being a crazy cyclist). I'm glad to hear from someone else who has this type of physique.

Me personally i switched to whole upper body 2x per week and ceased leg training. In the past i tried everything very low reps (1rep sets of 3) or very high (50 reps per set) and my legs still responded.
    Interesting...So you just went to the gym 2x per week? Did you do cardio during that period? What kind of diet did you have? Also, did it work in the end? I mean did your upper body grow after a certain number of weeks?

Im not saying dont train legs, but it depends on what you want, Branch Warren for example (dont like using pro's as an example but this one is good) took a whole year off leg training and he didnt exactly dissapear to nothing...did he?!
    Yeah, I see what you mean, however, I figure it would be better for me to add two leg days just to keep a decent strenght in my lower body. I guess I just don't like the fact of going to the gym only twice a week. Plus, I don't want it to turn to flab or grow much bigger which is why I will be doing 10-15 reps per exercise.

Banned
    youre dad being a cyclist has nothing to do with your genetics :P

Experiment, the idea of 2x legs sounds good only if you can handle it.

My upper body grew faster than its ever done i put it down to 2 things:

1. More frequency

2. More recovery ability because of the lack of stress on the legs

I was doing cardio 3-4x per week low intensity 30-45mins.

I was using AAS at the time, and was eating around maintenance, gained alot of strength and size in upper body, lower body pretty much maintained

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback
    Experiment, the idea of 2x legs sounds good only if you can handle it.

My upper body grew faster than its ever done i put it down to 2 things:

1. More frequency

2. More recovery ability because of the lack of stress on the legs

I was doing cardio 3-4x per week low intensity 30-45mins.

I was using AAS at the time, and was eating around maintenance, gained alot of strength and size in upper body, lower body pretty much maintained
    Sounds good.

Ok, I will try my program and I'll post here to give feedback on how it is going.

Thanks to all,

Young_gun