The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Banned

Losing fat, gaining muscle, at the same time

Basically, is this possible, and if so what do I have to do? I really want to get bigger more defined muscles, but not have to go through a process of bulking first. If I carry on lifting weights, but focus mainly on losing fat, will my muscles disappear, or will they just stay the same, but not get bigger? Just to clarify, I'm not looking to get massive, just nicely defined.
    Last edited by Nickthebassist; 03-21-2006 at 02:34 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It is possible but very difficult. Every member of this board (I think) bulks then cuts. Bulking is where you get your mass, obviously and cutting is where you get your definition. These boards are called Wanna Be Big so bulk up buddy. Don't worry about looking fantastic til summer .. you can cut easily in 2 months. If you are planning on cutting though, read Built's cutting guide in her sig and use it like a bible. Low reps high weight is key as well as your diet to train your body to burn fat not LBM. Good luck.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Banned
    it is very possible (even without lifting weights) to lose fat while gaining muscle.

the key is macronutrient partitioning. lowering carbs while increasing protein and fats burns fat while preserving or increasing muscle.

the only problem with this is that you dont have energy when you workout, so you need to incorporate nutrient timing and eat carbs before and after a workout that way you have enough energy to really attack the weights.

Its called carb cycling. it really works. built can tell you more on this than probably anyone on here.

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    it is very possible (even without lifting weights) to lose fat while gaining muscle.

the key is macronutrient partitioning. lowering carbs while increasing protein and fats burns fat while preserving or increasing muscle.

the only problem with this is that you dont have energy when you workout, so you need to incorporate nutrient timing and eat carbs before and after a workout that way you have enough energy to really attack the weights.

Its called carb cycling. it really works. built can tell you more on this than probably anyone on here.

I may have missed something but how/why would your body build muscle if not being overloaded in some fashion ie lifting weights?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    I may have missed something but how/why would your body build muscle if not being overloaded in some fashion ie lifting weights?
    I have absolutely no idea, but the study I read said that people who were put on a high protein, lower carb diet gained 2 lbs of muscle and lost 7 lbs of fat on average over a 6 week period.

maybe the body recognizes that it is losing fat fast and not restoring it so since it is in positive nitrogen balance decides to convert some of the protein into muscle. I dont know

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    I have absolutely no idea, but the study I read said that people who were put on a high protein, lower carb diet gained 2 lbs of muscle and lost 7 lbs of fat on average over a 6 week period.

maybe the body recognizes that it is losing fat fast and not restoring it so since it is in positive nitrogen balance decides to convert some of the protein into muscle. I dont know

Dont post things you know very little about. People on these boards are very impressionable and may actually take what you have to say as true. I'm willing to bet that study was done on sedentary overweight individuals. Thus your comparing apples to oranges.

If you are very small, weak and fat then gaining muscle while losing fat is possible although still very very slow and hard to do.
    Last edited by smalls; 03-24-2006 at 11:57 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Dont post things you know very little about. People on these boards are very impressionable and may actually take what you have to say as true. I'm willing to bet that study was done on sedentary overweight individuals. Thus your comparing apples to oranges.

If you are very small, weak and fat then gaining muscle while losing fat is possible although still very very slow and hard to do.
    how much are you willing to bet? maybe YOU should stop posting what you know very little about ( the study)

and please, stop hounding my posts. 90% of the threads you started are about steroids, a topic which I am not interested in, so let me do it the hard, slow way and you go about making your gains the easy, instant gratification way. understood? thanks
    Last edited by WildCard; 03-25-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Agreed. To gain muscle you have to cause tension to stimulate protein syntesis. I agree that you need protein and fats to stimulate muscle growth but without the tension you are SOL.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

One of the tricks involved is moving from lower carb (which, if I'm getting this right, induces whole body insulin resistance, good on lower calories and insulin levels) to higher carb right after you lift (when your muscles are preferentially insulin sensitive, time to feed 'em the carb and stimulate the insulin response).

If you're fairly new to lifting, you will typically enjoy the newbie honeymoon where you'll gain LBM while dropping bodyfat - I've done this, so I absolutely know it is possible. Once you're fairly muscular and your training is progressing well, you'll typically have to choose between a cut and a bulk.

- Signed, the (currently) fatassed bulking chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Oh, honey! Don't be sad; I'll be around your place in a sec.. so, Chunky Munky or Phish Phood?
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Banned
    One of the tricks involved is moving from lower carb (which, if I'm getting this right, induces whole body insulin resistance, good on lower calories and insulin levels) to higher carb right after you lift (when your muscles are preferentially insulin sensitive, time to feed 'em the carb and stimulate the insulin response).

If you're fairly new to lifting, you will typically enjoy the newbie honeymoon where you'll gain LBM while dropping bodyfat - I've done this, so I absolutely know it is possible. Once you're fairly muscular and your training is progressing well, you'll typically have to choose between a cut and a bulk.

I've been lifting 2 months, but I only reall do bicep exercises, abdominal exercises, tricep exercises, and pec exercises. Those are the main muscle groups I'm looking to build, and I'm not looking to get HUGE, just nicely defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    I've been lifting 2 months, but I only reall do bicep exercises, abdominal exercises, tricep exercises, and pec exercises. Those are the main muscle groups I'm looking to build, and I'm not looking to get HUGE, just nicely defined.
    Do you know the effort that you would have to expend to get huge? Guys try eating 5000 calories a day and lifting heavy five days a week for years to get huge - and a lot of huge people had to resort to chemical stimulation to get there. You. will. not. get. huge. if. you. work. your. entire. body.

You may believe you only want to develop your arms and chest, but once you get a little muscle in your back and shoulders, you'll realize how dumb it was not to work them all along.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    Do you know the effort that you would have to expend to get huge? Guys try eating 5000 calories a day and lifting heavy five days a week for years to get huge - and a lot of huge people had to resort to chemical stimulation to get there. You. will. not. get. huge. if. you. work. your. entire. body.

You may believe you only want to develop your arms and chest, but once you get a little muscle in your back and shoulders, you'll realize how dumb it was not to work them all along.
    I don't really have any way of working them. I don't have a gym membership because my dad won't let me get one because I'm in full time education. He also thinks my whole weight lifting thing is stupid, and won't help with any particular diets, so you have an idea of the odds I'm up against. Also, had a look at the body builder foods, and Built's diet, and I'm stuck on trying to make a diet for a non lifting day. Surely I need some slow release carbs first thing to get my body ticking over? Secondly, should I be doing any running to burn off fat, or should cycling/running/etc be out of my regime?

Skinny Fatass

Any current pics? I'd like to see this "fatassed bulking chick" you speak of, so I can understand your definition of such, in relation to your avatar.

Never even HEARD of Phish Food!

Sounds WONDERFUL!
    Haha, MarieAnne, I don't even live anywhere near the states and I know B&J's

I so have to try some B&J's before I die; someone put some on ice and send it over, STAT!
    Last edited by brickt.; 03-21-2006 at 09:06 PM.

ive done it but it has almost came to a complete halt for about 2 months now along with strength gains the horrors of cutting.
    2000 or bust

Go for recomposition if your ideal physique is to be lean and muscular.

Go for bulking and cutting if your ideal physique is to be a freak of nature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    Go for recomposition if your ideal physique is to be lean and muscular.

Go for bulking and cutting if your ideal physique is to be a freak of nature.
    My aim is to be lean and muscular, I don't wanna be HUGE, I have no need to be massive. A few more questions I have are: What is recompisition? If you lose body mass, does that mean you lose muscle aswell as fat?, and if so, why does your body lose muscle?

If you have a way of working your biceps, triceps, and pecs, unless this is because you have a curl machine, tricep extension machine, and fly machine in your garage, you have a way of working them.

One barbell? Bent over rows
    Dumbell(s)? Bent over rows (possibly one arm at a time)
    Anything horizontal that you can hang on? Pull-ups or chins.

If you have anything heavy, you can do bent rows. And squats. And deadlifts. You can deadlift with a couch, for crying out loud.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    If you have a way of working your biceps, triceps, and pecs, unless this is because you have a curl machine, tricep extension machine, and fly machine in your garage, you have a way of working them.

One barbell? Bent over rows
    Dumbell(s)? Bent over rows (possibly one arm at a time)
    Anything horizontal that you can hang on? Pull-ups or chins.

If you have anything heavy, you can do bent rows. And squats. And deadlifts. You can deadlift with a couch, for crying out loud.
    OK, will do some of them then.

I think its certainly possible with proper diet/supplementation, just my experience.

Banned
    Some people like starchy carbs first thing in the AM. I don't. YMMV.
    Will it affect the diet much?