The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Does this explain why big compound movements are best?

Check out this artical; http://www.naturalstrength.com/resea...ArticleID=1155

So in reading all that what I got is that when one looks at individual motor units it is impossible to increase the force they out-put by increasing the force placed upon them. So what that means is that if I have 20lbs on the bar or 200lbs on the bar there is no difference in the stress a given motor unit which is active is feeling. There is a difference in the amount of stress a given muscle is feeling though as the muscle is made up of a ton of motor units. But the stress that the individual MU's feel is identical, the only difference is the number of MU's recruited to move the weight.

What this transfers out to, as far as I can tell, is that the higher the weight the more MU's are recruited. Now 'big, compound' movements [squat, DL, bench-press?, CJ and the like] are great because they stress a ton of different muscles, which inturn activates the max # of MU's. Since every MU is activated maximaly it is ideal to activate the largest number of them possible in accordance with your training goal.

This then makes me think that the reason CF is so great for stuff like fatloss and GPP is that the movements it stresses focus on full-body type stuff. CJ, Snatch, DL, Squat all activate almost the entire skeletal muscular system, thereby activating the most MU's possible. Since at base it is the activation of MU's that require energy. ie calories, doing stuff like this should burn more calories then just the repeated activation of some smaller number of MU's, as in running and what not.

I guess what all this boils down to is that the 'big, compound' movements are best suited for the achievment of either of two fitness/health goals; strenght or weightloss. Strenght is basic to see I think, actually activating more MU's teaches your CNS how to activate more at one time therefore increasing ones strenght. This then accounts for the strenght gains people see from CNS adaptation rather then muscle gain. Fatloss or conditioning is a little harder. What that comes from is that since you are activating more MU's you are requiring more energy, since each MU activates maximally the only way to burn more energy is to activate more MU's or achieve more MU activations over time.

So does that rambling, bumbling account seem to make sense to everyone/anyone? What do you guys think?
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah it made quite a bit of sense. Yes compound movements are good for strength and weight loss but what do you think about hypertrophy?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

The way I understood it was that bigger compound movements results in more growth hormone release too. That would equal hypertrophy. I *think* it would also stand that compounds are better for hypertrophy because by recruiting more "MU's" you are encouraging more of them to grow.

Very good read. I agree also with the strength/fat loss comment. That is what you call hitting the nail on the head.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

wouldn't reps play a big role in all of this? If your doing squats for 4reps your going to be working the the strength range. Now if you up that to 8reps your still doing the compound lift but your working in the hypertrophy range. Doing compound lifts allow one to have very heavy loads recruiting more MU in more than one muscle. So compound lifts help you grow more than just one body part. yes you burn more energy doing compound lifts, you just counteract that by eating more food.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Yeah that's what my first post was aiming at. Compound movements I'm sure are great for hypertrophy for the same reasons they're good for strength. I just didn't see why the OP omitted the use of compounds for hypertrophy.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

yeah you ended your post with a question, since no one answered it I did. (not sure if it was for the op or not)
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle