Thread: Failure obsessed

Hybrid View

Body Under Construction thalakos84's Avatar

Failure obsessed

I already used the search function and couldn't find an exact answer to my question. I'm kind of stubborn, and I love going all out on lifts, but is it bad to go to failure every time? Am I putting too much strain on my muscles? I just can't help myself. Once I start a set, I can't stop until there is nothing left. Should I deny this urge?
    Growth
    5'10"
    150lbs
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 247x5
    Deadlift - 315

Yes, it is bad to go to muscular failure every time.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

What is 'til failure', anyways? I do six reps on weights because there's no way I can hit a seventh. Is that working until failure (it's all I've ever done)? I can do another six after a few minutes of rest so I didn't think it was.

I see some guys at the gym who will do a set, rest, do set, do a set with less reps, do a set... repeat until they can only get one rep of the weight they've been using and can then barely pour themselves off the bench, for instance. That's what I've been associating with 'until failure'.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    What is 'til failure', anyways? I do six reps on weights because there's no way I can hit a seventh. Is that working until failure (it's all I've ever done)? I can do another six after a few minutes of rest so I didn't think it was.

I see some guys at the gym who will do a set, rest, do set, do a set with less reps, do a set... repeat until they can only get one rep of the weight they've been using and can then barely pour themselves off the bench, for instance. That's what I've been associating with 'until failure'.
    In my understanding, if you could complete 6 reps, attempted a 7th, but coudn't get it to lockout, then you hit failure.

However, if you had stopped at 6 reps, that would be 1 shy of failure.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

I don't want to misdiagnose myself, but could it be I have CNS fatigue? My numbers haven't gone up in about 7 months. I've done until failure workouts since I started 2 years ago. I go to failure....every time. My fingers and arms tingle sometimes. They go numb and the blood rushes out of them when I sleep. I just feel like I've hit a brick wall at the gym. No progress. I don't seem to have days where I just feel spectacular at the gym. Just kinda dragging through it. Anyone had any experience with it?
    Growth
    5'10"
    150lbs
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 247x5
    Deadlift - 315

Failure training is okay from time to time, but as I understand it, you risk CNS fatigue if you do this type of training exclusively.

:withstupi...and CNS fatigue is NOT something you want to deal with

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

That's never happened to me, but I can tell you that it's not a good sign. Take a week or two off and when you come back try stopping a rep or two before failure.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Here's a tard question...what is CNS fatigue (as in what does CNS stand for)?
    I can resist everything except temptation.

"...by training to failure each time you train you are going set your nerve cells into a constant state of inhibition leading you to tax the CNS far to much through the increased out put of electrical impulses. This will lead to rapid overtraining. That leads to time off and bodily and mental states lacking motivation, appetite, etc. It also means that it is not always muscular failure which is occurring; more CNS failure, which means that your muscles are not being worked anyway so stimuli for growth is not being achieved every time you train.
    Couple muscular and neuro failure together and what do you get? Poor form and therefore poor training. Poor form leads to injuries and injuries lead to more time off.
    So, in conclusion to all this, muscular failure, be it concentric, eccentric or isometric, is not necessary to provide a growth stimulus. What is necessary are good form, continuous training, the build up of fatigue products and good diet and resting patterns. Fibres need sufficient training for microtrauma to be incurred causing the release of regenerative hormones to be released in the cells which leaches into the surrounding area as well as intracellular calcium levels to rise to trigger both growth and destructive processes (destructive to remove such substrates as lactic acid) without over taxation of the nervous system.
    I hope this demonstrates that the CNS is a vital part of your training and that by training to failure time and time again you will offset the positive effects of it with the negative effects. Once again I will iterate that I do believe that training to failure is a useful tool for growth stimuli, only not the only tool. "

Not sure who I just quoted. Sorry.
    Growth
    5'10"
    150lbs
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 247x5
    Deadlift - 315

Quote Originally Posted by Spence
    Here's a tard question...what is CNS fatigue (as in what does CNS stand for)?
    Central nervous system components of fatigue (CNS fatigue)
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    Central nervous system components of fatigue (CNS fatigue)
    Chers
    I can resist everything except temptation.

Wannabebig Member
    I have always thought if I can do another rep, I am not really pushing myself enough. I just cannot imagine NOT going to failure every set. Not going to failure might be something I will have to force myself to get used to cus my weight has stayed the same for a while now.

Wannabebig Member
    Seek Performance Not Fatigue