The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    The monkeys are listening Monkeybrains's Avatar

Protein and calcium

I've been reading an article on a medical site that says high protein diets cause the calcium be sucked out of your bones (causing brittle bones and such..), what do you lot think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The world is flat!

3:16
    my diet is high in protein, but lots of it comes from milk so i get to much calcuim anyway.
    weight training is good for the bones and decrease calcuim leaching.
    most people supp with mineral tablets so are unlikely to be defficent in calcuim anyway.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

That's right monkeybrains.Your calcium intake should be up to 1500mg of calcium/day if you're on a high protein diet.(up to 30%)

I agree with Wizard, but you do know that studies indicating that protein sucked calcium out of bones was done with 500g protein.

Unless you're the size of Ronnie coleman you're not gonna need 500g protein. But still, best to be totally sure. You don't need to buy extra calcium supps btw, just eat more broccoli - you'll also get the added benefit of roughage and fibre. Now i know that broccoli only has about 50mg calcium for every 100g, but if you're munching down say 200g broccoli on top of your multivit [which will prolly have at least 800mg as according to the RDA] you'll prolly be getting enough considering the amount of protein you're ingesting. Also, if you're drinking milk for cals and protein you'll be getting even extra [something like 160mg for every pint - something like that anyway...]
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

excess calcuim can be bad, but this more often to do with excess vitmain D.
    if worried have some diary products.
    BTW - food high in fibre are often high in phytates that bind to caluim and decrease absorption as well. thats why even though white bread is fortified (the law in the UK) with calcuim due to lower calcuim levels its probably more prudent of the bread companies to fortify wholemeal bread with calcuim.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

the governments usually make the water companies fortify water with all sorts of minerals too.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    the governments usually make the water companies fortify water with all sorts of minerals too.
    usually florine, but this is up to the individual water company and not the government. though some adults complain as they do not want it, in there water.
    As for caluim this often depends where you are in the country. with some areas of the UK (do not know about the rest of the world) having more hard water than other.
    hard water - good for calcuim, bad for washing the dishes.
    soft water - bad for calcuim, good for washing the disehes.

BTW the hardness of the water is ment to be the reason why Guniness taste better in Dublin than it does in the UK!

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    like Prozac

I'm currently working for a government agency and i'm sure they're spiking the water with something. Making me stupid...er...

Doesn't stop me drinking it though haha...

So how much Calcium should an 18 year old supplement with? I don't eat broccoli cuz its just nasty but I get my roughage from romaine lettuce. Right now I supplement with 2 grams everyday. I believe I'm not done growing.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

that is more than enough Marcel.

I have 3 g per day.It's more than ok I think.

Chigs - Yea 2 grams sounds ace to me.

Estrella - 2-3 grams cool.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties