Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Lifting, Quite Weak...

New to Lifting, Quite Weak...

Hi all, i am quite new to weight lifting, well, only done 2 sessions so far, decide i want to be a lot bigger than what i am so i thought it was time to get serious. At the moment i am -

Age - 19
    Weight - 150lbs
    Bodyfat - 12%
    Height - 6ft 1"

At the moment i am taking in around 3500 per day from CLEAN foods, and i have got a 4 day split

Backs & Traps
    Chest & Arms
    Legs
    Shoulders & Arms.

The only thing is i am finding that i am very weak, i know you guys wont flame me or anything for being weak but its a very touchy area with me at the moment, is there anything i can do to increase my strength really, if that doesn't sound like a silly question? ? ?

Thanks guys.

Gaz.

Keep at it. You'll get stronger, and fairly quickly too.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Uhhhh, keep lifting and eating? It takes time, that's all.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Keep lifting, sleeping, and eating.

Btw, you don't need two arm days if you plan on working the rest of your muscles only once per week.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Thanks guys, how long do you think it takes to notice a difference in size and strength? ? ?

Strength is just a byproduct of a good diet and workout regime. Like mixmasternash said, "Keep at it". I'm sure after a month you'll notice some gains. It just takes time and commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO
    Thanks guys, how long do you think it takes to notice a difference in size and strength? ? ?
    You'll probably see n00bie gains at first, then it will become a bit tougher, but that's how the game is played. Keep at it, there is really no other advice. Dedication wins this race.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 03-23-2006 at 08:31 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Cool thanks guys, what's best, to lift heavy, or to lift light enough so that i can nearly complete all reps and sets? ? ?

Lift heavy, but make sure you to keep proper form and complete your routine. What exactly is your routine? Post it up for inspection.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 03-23-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Back & Traps -

Barbell Rows
    Pullups
    Deadlifts
    Shrugs
    Abs

Chest & Arms

Incline Bench Press
    Flat Dumbell Press
    Dips
    Lying EZ Bar Tri Extentions
    Hammer Curls

Legs -

Squats
    Lying Leg Curls
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Calf Raises

Shoulders & Arms

Lateral Side Raises
    Lateral Rear Raises
    Shoulder Press
    Barbell Bicep Curls
    Overhead tricep dumbell extentions.

This is what I would do with your split- I am going to shift things around and add/delete things:

Back & Traps -

Deadlifts
    Barbell Rows
    Pullups
    Shrugs
    Abs

Chest & Tris

Incline Bench Press
    Flat Dumbell Press
    Dips
    Close grip benchpress
    Skullcrushers

Legs -

Squats
    Lunges
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Standing Calf Raises

Shoulders & Bis

Military Press (seated or standing)
    Arnold Presses
    Lateral Side Raises
    Barbell Bicep Curls
    Hammer Curls

If you are only going to hit your legs once- make sure to hit them hard. Go heavy.
    Last edited by TechMetalMan; 03-23-2006 at 09:08 AM.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

Wannabebig Member
    If you're eating what you say your eating then i think within a month you will of gained 10lb/s at least. Take some protein shakes to if your not already. As one already pointed out you will see strength increase quite quickly which in turn leads to gains quickly. Good luck!

From the sounds of it, you want to add strength more than anything. Get the calories up. WAY up. Don't worry about how clean you are eating right now. The name of the game is eat anything and everything. Try to get those cals up to at least 4000 (assuming 3500 is not doing much for you). Eating a lot of food will have a MASSIVE impact on the rate you gain strength/size when you are just starting out. As far as workouts go, it is important that you do not over do it right now. You are just starting out; you need to learn to walk before you can run. Work on getting comfortable with your form for the next couple weeks on all your lifts. Don't expect to lift much yet. If you have to use only the bar for your bench press, then who really gives a ****, use the bar. Once you are ready, start uping the weight. If you are eating a LOT and working out consistantly (3-5 days/week), I would say you'll begin seeing strength and size gains within 4 weeks.

Also, don't focus so much on arms. Focus on your legs chest and back with compound movements. You'll enjoy th results much more.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

That's cool Kiaran mate thanks a lot, yeh, at the moment i am not too strong, for example, incline bench without the weight of the bar added (as i don't know how much it weighs) is 22.2 kilos which is about 44 pounds i think.

To be honest at the moment, i am struggling to get 3500 clean cals inside me, it's pretty hard eating this much, especially when i am used to eating ~2200 per day.

Are there any decent supplements that could aid the process, i dont mean gear or stuff like that, dont want to use that. especially at my age, i mean over the counter stuff.

Thanks again.

To be honest, the only thing that is going to make a huge difference is food. I hear you on struggling to eat a lot. What worked for me is drinking Whole Milk. You can easilly add 1000 calories with 7-8 glasses of milk/day. Just make sure you are getting plenty of water (3-5L per day). Also, get some Whey powder and mix that with milk and fruits, dried oats, peanut butter, ice cream, orange juice or anything you want. Have a couple shakes every day.

As far as the weight goes, don't worry about it. Remember, there's always going to be someone, somewhere that is warming up with the strongest guy in your gym's max. EVERYONE starts out without much weight on the bar. FYI, if the bar you are using is a standard gym bar, it most likely weighs ~20 Kg (~45 lbs).
    Last edited by Kiaran; 03-23-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Excellent advice from Kiaran above!

I sit and eat nuts and drink milk all day. My appetite is pathetic and so that's the easiest way to get cals without having to force feed myself huge meals.

Ah right, i think it's a little less than 20 KG's as its a 5ft bar and not an olympic bar, its one of those 5ft bars with the spin-lock collars on it. Probably between 10-12KG's.

Yeh i hadn't thought of milk actually, i do take shakes after my workout of course with dextrose and i get a few other shakes during the day with almonds and natty pb.

Thanks for this help, much appreciated.

Resident Lardass
    Hi all, i am quite new to weight lifting, well, only done 2 sessions so far, decide i want to be a lot bigger than what i am so i thought it was time to get serious. At the moment i am -

Age - 19
    Weight - 150lbs
    Bodyfat - 12%
    Height - 6ft 1"

At the moment i am taking in around 3500 per day from CLEAN foods, and i have got a 4 day split

Backs & Traps
    Chest & Arms
    Legs
    Shoulders & Arms.

The only thing is i am finding that i am very weak, i know you guys wont flame me or anything for being weak but its a very touchy area with me at the moment, is there anything i can do to increase my strength really, if that doesn't sound like a silly question? ? ?

Thanks guys.

Gaz.

I'm in much of the same boat, only i'm fatter and older. As others have said keep at it. It'll come.

Good on ya for starting at your age.
    Check out my amazing progress...or lack there of here:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76437 The Journal

"Beer....Is there anything it CAN'T do?" -- Homer Simpson :alcoholic

"Dad...Whats a whale's blowhole for?"
    "Well son, I'll tell you what its NOT for. And once i do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World" --Peter Griffin

Thanks mate, i think even at my age i am slightly older, i was reading some other boards the other day where lads of 15,16,17 are lifting more with their little fingers than i am at the moment.

Thanks mate, i think even at my age i am slightly older, i was reading some other boards the other day where lads of 15,16,17 are lifting more with their little fingers than i am at the moment.
    Keep in mind it's the internet.
    On a side note it always helps to concentrate on your own gains, there will always be someone stronger than you or built better the sooner you realize that the sooner you will see gains in yourself.
    Goodluck

Resident Lardass

I once had the stupid excuse for NOT going to the gym that I wasn't in shape enough. Others would be doing so much more than me. Was it true? Yes. Did anyone care? Not at all. And more importantly, would i ever be in shape enough (in my mind) to go to the gym, if i didn't go to the gym?

On a side note, if you're workout gets stale, you might want to give WBB1 a whirl.
    Check out my amazing progress...or lack there of here:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76437 The Journal

"Beer....Is there anything it CAN'T do?" -- Homer Simpson :alcoholic

"Dad...Whats a whale's blowhole for?"
    "Well son, I'll tell you what its NOT for. And once i do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World" --Peter Griffin

Sek is right.

Do not compare yourself to others. You have a personal goal to better yourself. You are not in competition with anyone but yourself--unless you enter contests.

Do this:

Keep a journal of your progress.
    Take a "before" picture
    Take a "before" weight measurement

DON'T look in the mirror

In 3 months, take another picture, compare it to the "before" pic
    In 6 months, take another picture, compare it to the "before" & 3 month pic

This way you can see how far you have progressed.

What's WBB1? ? ?

Ah cheers, sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for all the support and advice and help guys, much appreciated.