Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: old guy about to give up

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    74

    old guy about to give up

    I have been working at body building for over two years now and haven't grown even a half inch taller. I look at the pictures of the other guys and despair of ever becoming tan, tall, lean, young, and muscular. It just isn't working for me.

    However, I am becoming stronger. It is a slow process, but it is happening. Fortunately, I have more time to accomplish my goals than the younger guys have. They are expected in the next five to ten years to dramatically change their status with respect to some combination of education, residence, career, marriage, and parenthood. I am only expected to get a couple of senior discount cards.

    The slow progress this year has not been entirely due to my age. I have not been smart about my goals. There have been several weeks in which I seemed to be determined to bulk Thursday through Sunday, then switch to a cut Monday through Wednesday. Let me say here that such lack of realistic objectives will really slow a person's progress.

    I am giving up on the tall, tan, lean, young, and muscular thing. i have decided to become a short, pale, stocky, old, strong guy instead.

    To other non-young lifters out there:
    1. lift smart and safe
    2. do not give up
    3. do your deadlifts and squats if you possibly can

    I love lifting!
    age: 55
    began wt. trning Jan 2004
    Before I was 52 years old, I didn't know squat.

  2. #2
    teh skinny fat :-( eps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    14
    I'm not near your age but I still feel the need to say something. Resistance training isn't going to make you grow taller. That's mostly genetics from your teens and early twenties.

    You can be lean, but what you're doing is trying to add muscle and lose fat in the same time period -- it's not going to work. Devote 10-12 weeks for a clean bulk. Then assess your body composition and decide if you want to cut for a while after that.

    I was pretty frustrated when I first started out too, but take the time to use the wealth of knowledge from these forums and keep going.

    Gaining significant amounts of muscle (or on the other end of the spectrum, losing lots of fat) doesn't happen overnight. Slow and steady wins the race!

    Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    167
    I am kind of confused as to what you posted, but there is nothing wrong with being short, pale, stocky, old, and strong. Age is a number, your health is your life. I've seen people in their 90's that hardly require any assistance to perform daily activities, and people in their 60's totally dependent. Oh, and in regards to growing taller, we actually shrink as we get older, due to intervertebral disc shrinking mainly due to loss of water/fluid.

  5. #5
    Sculpted by Science brickt.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgrowin'
    I have been working at body building for over two years now and haven't grown even a half inch taller. I look at the pictures of the other guys and despair of ever becoming tan, tall, lean, young, and muscular. It just isn't working for me.

    However, I am becoming stronger. It is a slow process, but it is happening. Fortunately, I have more time to accomplish my goals than the younger guys have. They are expected in the next five to ten years to dramatically change their status with respect to some combination of education, residence, career, marriage, and parenthood. I am only expected to get a couple of senior discount cards.

    The slow progress this year has not been entirely due to my age. I have not been smart about my goals. There have been several weeks in which I seemed to be determined to bulk Thursday through Sunday, then switch to a cut Monday through Wednesday. Let me say here that such lack of realistic objectives will really slow a person's progress.

    I am giving up on the tall, tan, lean, young, and muscular thing. i have decided to become a short, pale, stocky, old, strong guy instead.

    To other non-young lifters out there:
    1. lift smart and safe
    2. do not give up
    3. do your deadlifts and squats if you possibly can

    I love lifting!
    Very intelligent post, sir, there's alot of good advice in there.

    PS: Read between the lines fellas!
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

  6. #6
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,775
    You expected to grow in height?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  7. #7
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    I'm not sure whether this post is asking or giving advice. But like others have said, strength training isn't going to add anything to your height. Any possibility for growth [height wise] stopped in your twenties. However, you can work out and gain muscle well into your 90's. So age isn't an excuse, unless you have something severely wrong with you.


    To other non-young lifters out there:
    1. lift smart and safe
    2. do not give up
    3. do your deadlifts and squats if you possibly can
    I think this applies to any age group.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-22-2006 at 04:14 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Hey, at least you started doing something about your health. I believe it's never too late to start. I'm trying to get my mum and dad to start lifting too.

    Good luck with your future goals.

  9. #9
    Eat, sleep, train DC style CdnLifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Toronto/St. Catharines
    Posts
    2
    Heh, well in age I'm not that far behind.
    I love bodybuilding .. it would take getting hit by a car to keep me from the gym .. oh wait that already happend and I'm back and bigger.

    I'm not really sure what angle goodgrowin is taking but obviously the height thing isn't gona happen...maybe shorter ... dam Deads. However with a plan of action, some defined goals, good food, lots or rest, decent lifting us old guys can push the limit.

    Lots of us are big on want's short on follow thru.

    Peace
    Cdn

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12
    Ummm......Built is right.
    It's toung in cheek guys!

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    74
    Built, a stickler for proper form, noticed my tongue was out of place. Thanks for all the respectful replies to an odd post. About once a year I try to really think back on what worked and what didn't for the last year.

    I am serious about my failures to continue a bulk or cut long enough to accomplish either. I am serious about gaining strength last year. I am also serious about recommending lifting to the "less young" among us. And I do not mean gentle, occasional lifting. But old guys should push themselves to grow (stronger, and bigger, but, sadly, not taller) because it works.

    Sorry about any confusion I may have caused. And, again, hats off to all you responders who remained respectful in reponse to my idiotic post.
    age: 55
    began wt. trning Jan 2004
    Before I was 52 years old, I didn't know squat.

  12. #12
    Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,000
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgrowin'
    Built, a stickler for proper form, noticed my tongue was out of place. Thanks for all the respectful replies to an odd post. About once a year I try to really think back on what worked and what didn't for the last year.

    I am serious about my failures to continue a bulk or cut long enough to accomplish either. I am serious about gaining strength last year. I am also serious about recommending lifting to the "less young" among us. And I do not mean gentle, occasional lifting. But old guys should push themselves to grow (stronger, and bigger, but, sadly, not taller) because it works.

    Sorry about any confusion I may have caused. And, again, hats off to all you responders who remained respectful in reponse to my idiotic post.
    I gotcha. Set high but attainable goals and don't stop until you've reached them. And DL and squat.

  13. #13
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgrowin'
    Built, a stickler for proper form, noticed my tongue was out of place. Thanks for all the respectful replies to an odd post. About once a year I try to really think back on what worked and what didn't for the last year.

    I am serious about my failures to continue a bulk or cut long enough to accomplish either. I am serious about gaining strength last year. I am also serious about recommending lifting to the "less young" among us. And I do not mean gentle, occasional lifting. But old guys should push themselves to grow (stronger, and bigger, but, sadly, not taller) because it works.

    Sorry about any confusion I may have caused. And, again, hats off to all you responders who remained respectful in reponse to my idiotic post.

    I hate to see you back down and call this post idiotic sir, rather you should have encouraged some of the other members to attempt to work out something else for a change.

  14. #14
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    Well..you can keep yourself from getting shorter by lifting weights.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  15. #15
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    Not entirely true, actually. I have shrunk since starting lifting. I'll have to update my height in my sig one of these days.



    But I don't wanna!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Well..you can keep yourself from getting shorter by lifting weights.
    Can you elaborate?

  17. #17
    Senior Member fat2fit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgrowin'
    I have been working at body building for over two years now and haven't grown even a half inch taller. I look at the pictures of the other guys and despair of ever becoming tan, tall, lean, young, and muscular. It just isn't working for me.
    The point is to get strong enough to rip the heads off all the taller younger more tanned guys. This is how you become the tallest youngest leanest most muscular guy in town, only then can you quit having achieved your goal :evillaugh

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •