Thread: I don't have any muscles!

I don't have any muscles!

So far I've been training for 7 weeks and I've lost 15lbs. I'm now at 210. Here is what I look like:

My biggest concern is that I have no muscles. I bench under 100lbs and only db curl 20-25lbs.

Should I go on a bulk to get muscle mass and then do a cut? I fear that if I keep cutting down I'll eventually just look like loose skin hanging off of a skeleton.

If I were you, I'd keep a clean diet @ maintenance cals, lift heavy and aim for a body recomposition. Good luck.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj
    If I were you, I'd keep a clean diet @ maintenance cals, lift heavy and aim for a body recomposition. Good luck.
    What does body recomposition mean?

It means you'll be slowly dropping fat at a similar rate that you're putting on muscle. Your weight won't change much, but you'll slowly become less fat and more muscular.

In layman's terms, "turning the fat into muscle", which is technically impossible, but it's what it LOOKS like is going on.

Your bodyfat is a little too high still for a bulk. Get a little leaner first, take advantage of the newbie gains you're still enjoying.

Props on the first 15! I've been where you are, and I know how slow it seems. Keep going!

Did you photoshop your right arm in that first pic?

Congrats on losing the first 15lbs though.. keep doing what you're doing and keep lifting heavy objects.. since this is the first time you have dieted and lifted, you'll be able to gain strength (and even some muscle) and hopefully lose fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Did you photoshop your right arm in that first pic?
    No. Why? Is there something wrong with it?

Keep lifting, It'll come along. KEep the work up
    Call me, Johnny. Thanks
    Check out my JOURNAL!

STATS as of: March, 2006

Current/Goal
    Weight: 240 +/-
    Height: 6'3.5
    Bench: 330bs touch and go / 360lbs paused
    Squat: 385lbs / 405lbs
    Clean: 255lbs / 285lbs
    40: 5.3 / 5.0
    Vert: 23 / 28

At 210lbs what would my calorie maintenance level be?

Don't worry ST, I can barely bench 100 lbs. (I broke the 95 lb. barrier today) and I've been training for two years.

You'll get there in no time.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer
    At 210lbs what would my calorie maintenance level be?
    Caloric maintenance is dependant upon many factors and changes on an individual basis. However, in my personal opinion, I would suggest starting at 2500 calories per day. Although some one here think this may be too low, I don't. If you eat this many calories per day, you'll most likely lose weight, and if your eating correctly you will lose more fat than muscle. If you're losing weight too quickly (which could possibly mean a loss of muscle mass) then you have the option of increasing caloric intake by 300 calories per day.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Im in the same boat your in brotha, well sorta. I know I have the muscle.... I just have to unearth it. Sucks like hell to extra balatant fat around, espically if you know theirs good mass under it.

Keep working man, just dont set your goals too high or go at it too hard. You'll get burnt out or give up to easily. Set small, reachable goals like 10lbs per month or something like that. If you can cut on 2500, then be estatic.

Oh yea, just remember that everyones different. Track your calories for a week and see if you lose, maintain or gain weight. Then adjust accordingly
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 05-14-2006 at 09:05 PM.

let the working out lifestyle take over. keep doing it, and don't worry bout major changes in 7 weeks. Its not overnight magic, its going to take a little while longer.
    ps: hows your diet?
    Last edited by ederon; 05-14-2006 at 09:30 PM.
    STATS:
    Toronto
    6'0" 210lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ederon
    ps: hows your diet?
    Some samples of it here:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=79004

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=75656

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Grams protein, carb, fat, total calories?
    I'm not sure how to add that stuff up. Not everything I eat has the amounts listed. Have a good website I could look this stuff up on so I can keep track? I would forever be in your debt.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer
    I'm not sure how to add that stuff up. Not everything I eat has the amounts listed. Have a good website I could look this stuff up on so I can keep track? I would forever be in your debt.
    try www.fitday.com

it's a great tool to evaluate what macros you are consuming
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

Your maintenance calories are between 2800 and 3000, in my humble, well-tested opinion.

I agree with nosaj. I did basically this, eating at about maintenance while lifting hard and heavy, and saw a lot of improvement. I only lost 4lbs on the scale, but I really changed shape. It was just what I needed to keep me from losing my motivation. The strength gains are the true motivator when you're a fatty. It's really all you have. Once you've got some legit strength, and are addicted to the feel of that, only then do you do some hardcore cuts.

Search my two pic threads..lol. You'll see what I mean. The first pic thread was 4 months after I started lifting, and I was only down those 4lbs. But, my bench, and everything else had really been moving. It was at that point that I was ready to start some cuts, and see what I'd been working for. As of this post, I think I'm maybe 36lbs down from there. It's been a slow transition, but I'm sorta living displaced, and have been going through a divorce the whole time so I've done ok imho. Stress is a big derailer of dreams..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083