The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fashion

Fashion

I have a few misgivings about asking this kind of question (plus it has been asked before in different ways), but this is a subject that many people here seem to have experience with. I am a 26 year old grad student in astronomy. And my fashion sense sucks. It has never really bothered me before, but I am starting to really feel better about my appearance through lifting, and I would like to start looking a little better with clothes as well.

I usually just view clothes as being purely utilitarian, I just go buy some cheap clothes from the store whenever I need them. So, now I am a little confused about what to get. I don't need the latest fashion or anything, I just want to look decent. Expense is also an issue, there is no way I can spend $1000 on a wardrobe. What kind of shoes should I be looking at?

I guess my only style right now is "old fashioned," mostly because I want to distinguish myself from the undergraduates... this is particularly true when I am teaching. I have a old fashioned haircut, for example.

Another question I wanted to ask about is scent. I have noticed that a lot of guys are using scents all the time now (or at least more often than me). I looked at the cologne thread and there were some good suggestions, but is there anything specific you could recommend for someone like me? Here I am also old fashioned, I usually use Newport by Caswell-Massey (make fun of me but I like the smell)! I'm not trying to be metrosexual here, I just would like to look and smell a little better than I do now.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarendol
    And my fashion sense sucks. It has never really bothered me before, but I am starting to really feel better about my appearance through lifting, and I would like to start looking a little better with clothes as well.
    If I were you I wouldn't concentrate on fashion sense but on a personal style sense. What are you comfortable in? You mentioned later on in your post that you are dressing "old fashioned" and your haircut is "old fashioned" to distinguish you from others. What do you mean by "old fashioned"? Serious question. Is it a throwback to a certain era, say, 1940's? '50s?

I usually just view clothes as being purely utilitarian, I just go buy some cheap clothes from the store whenever I need them. So, now I am a little confused about what to get. I don't need the latest fashion or anything, I just want to look decent. Expense is also an issue, there is no way I can spend $1000 on a wardrobe.
    Clothes are far more than just heat trappers and fig-leaf replacements. Clothes say plenty about you- they are a choice you make. You don't have to spend a fortune to look nice, decent, good, or hot.

What kind of shoes should I be looking at?
    This is why I want you to define "old fashioned". Wing-tips? Platforms? Keds? Birkenstocks? We don't know what your style preference is so it's hard to say.

I guess my only style right now is "old fashioned," mostly because I want to distinguish myself from the undergraduates... this is particularly true when I am teaching. I have a old fashioned haircut, for example.
    What does that mean? Do you mean Beatles old fashioned? ABBA old fashioned? Victorian?

I looked at the cologne thread and there were some good suggestions, but is there anything specific you could recommend for someone like me? Here I am also old fashioned, I usually use Newport by Caswell-Massey (make fun of me but I like the smell)! I'm not trying to be metrosexual here, I just would like to look and smell a little better than I do now.
    Colognes work differently for different people. Depending on your body chemistry the scent will differ- you'll have to do your own research- walk into a store and start smelling things, try them on your skin, etc. I have no idea what the cologne you listed, but as a general type do you prefer citrus derived scents, woodsy scents? Floral? I'm glad you're not trying to be metrosexual. Try to be yourself.

Also, how old are you? Where in the world are you?
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 03-23-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I am a 26 year old grad student
    I think he`s a 26 year old grad student.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    I think he`s a 26 year old grad student.
    I think I should learn to read. Ugh. The rest of the questions still apply.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Tarendol, have you thought about doing this show: http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/

Hehehe somehow he doesn't seem ready for the Fab 5. Then again, none of their victims ever do.

Good post, Tarendol. Good to see you're still around.
    I just go buy some cheap clothes from the store whenever I need them. So, now I am a little confused about what to get. I don't need the latest fashion or anything, I just want to look decent. Expense is also an issue, there is no way I can spend $1000 on a wardrobe.
    You can still get something nice without dropping a load of cash. Check out something like Marshall's. They have good name brand stuff very cheap. Sometimes you have to search a bit, but there's potential there.

From what I recall, you're not in a large city. Find your nearest good-sized city and see if there's a Sketchers outlet in the area. Great shoes, very reasonable prices.

I looked at the cologne thread and there were some good suggestions, but is there anything specific you could recommend for someone like me?
    There will be multiple opinions on this as you saw in the other thread. My personal favorite: Banana Republic http://banana-republic-perfumes.astvnow.com/.
    Very subtle smell, but does the trick.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Lol about the Fab 5, my sister once said she wanted to try to set me up with them. I think you have to live in New York, though...

When I said "old fashioned" I think I was overstating the case a little, I just mean that I feel that I am not dressing in the "trendy" clothes I see my students wearing. I call my hairstyle old fashioned because I have a part, which is something I haven't seen on someone my own age in a long time. It is just pretty short hair parted on one side... the best description I can give is it is the kind of haircut someone going bald might use to "comb over.' Except I am not losing my hair yet so it doesn't look bad. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    What do you mean by "old fashioned"? Serious question. Is it a throwback to a certain era, say, 1940's? '50s?
    I don't have any particular style in mind, I am really just trying to distinguish myself from the undergraduates I am surrounded by. Like... what a well dressed professor would wear when he wasn't at work. Or any professional. I am still wearing the same style of clothes I had when I was in college, and they are starting to seem a little stale.

Clothes are far more than just heat trappers and fig-leaf replacements. Clothes say plenty about you- they are a choice you make. You don't have to spend a fortune to look nice, decent, good, or hot.
    The older I get the more I agree with this statement. I feel that my current clothing choices don't give off the feel I want... the problem I have is deciding exactly what feel I want and what clothes will give it to me!

Colognes work differently for different people. Depending on your body chemistry the scent will differ- you'll have to do your own research- walk into a store and start smelling things, try them on your skin, etc. I have no idea what the cologne you listed, but as a general type do you prefer citrus derived scents, woodsy scents? Floral? I'm glad you're not trying to be metrosexual. Try to be yourself.
    I am getting a ride to the mall today (my car self-destructed, which is one reason I can't spend too much money) and I am going to check out all the colognes available. I can't really say what I like... this is a totally new area for me. The major thing I am worried about is getting something too overpowering; I would like just a hint of something that smells good. For me, this process is about getting a fashion/smell that I like and that makes me feel good about myself. I generally feel that metrosexuals are trying to show off (not that there is necessarily something wrong with that), but it is not what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorcut
    From what I recall, you're not in a large city. Find your nearest good-sized city and see if there's a Sketchers outlet in the area. Great shoes, very reasonable prices.
    I live in the middle of Missouri. I don't recall any store called Sketchers, but I will check it out; we get new stores all the time so one may have popped up. Right now I am wearing shoes from Target, so anything will help. My previous set of shoes were $9 shoes from Target! I have one pair of sneakers.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I know this is a difficult thing to do over the internet, and it is also mostly a matter of personal choice. But I am in need of a lot of help before I get started!

I like wearing workboots, but thats just me

I looked at the cologne thread and there were some good suggestions, but is there anything specific you could recommend for someone like me?
    as for this I like to wear Givancy(sp?) Paris it smells like vanilla and chicks dig it

One of the major differences, ime, between college wear and professional wear is how clothes fit. I'm guessing that you will feel more comfortable in your clothes if they fit you correctly- proper length/width pants, shirts, etc. A decent pair of shoes helps a lot.

I'm fairly certain that you have a Banana Republic someplace nearby, so I'll use that for reference. Since you asked specifically about shoes, here's a stab at what looks modern, not too trendy, and very sensible for the office:
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=374737012

Here's a pair for daily casual wear, as well as non-dress-code bar hopping:
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=374740012

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=374753012

I also like these driving shoes as casual wear:
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=273844002

While you're at Banana Republic check out their colognes, per razorcut's suggestion. They're very simple and nice. If you don't want a very powerful scent just don't spray yourself all over. A single spray or two will do.

Quote Originally Posted by FOGLE1
    Givancy(sp?)
    Givenchy

I just looked, and the nearest Banana Republics around are about two hours away in St. Louis and Kansas City. But I will see if I can get a ride (or wait until I get a new car, but that may be a while).

I think you have hit on exactly the style I am looking for, at least when it comes to shoes. And I think your idea about the fit of clothes is absolutely correct, I wear baggy shirts and pants and have never been really pleased with them. Is getting a better fit just a matter of taking some more time when I am trying things on? I assume the quality of the clothing can help here.

I think you have hit on exactly the style I am looking for, at least when it comes to shoes.
    Good. Purchase and enjoy! You can usually find stuff like that at Macy's also.

And I think your idea about the fit of clothes is absolutely correct, I wear baggy shirts and pants and have never been really pleased with them. Is getting a better fit just a matter of taking some more time when I am trying things on? I assume the quality of the clothing can help here.
    A little of one and a bit of the other.

The fit expected of pants is very different than a fit expected from jeans. Jeans should ride on your hips, even a bit below the top of your pelvic bone. Pants should not go down that low- they should sit atop your pelvic bone, and depending no style should be near your waist. Loose and baggy doesn't do you any favors- it looks sloppy. You're a lifter, right? Show off your progress with body conscious cuts- straight leg pants (unless your thighs are so huge that you need a bit of a taper/relaxed fit at the top). Pleats are a curse on style. A single pleat may be tolerable, but no more. Your pants should not only reach your shoes but there should be a decent size break. The back of your pants ought to reach at least the top of the solel of a traditional shoe. A nice belt helps, and it ought to match your shoes in color/texture.

Get a shirt in your size, not someone else's. If you're not sure what your size is ask a salesperson to measure you.

In lieu of the Fab 5, here's a website kept by a Fab 1- http://www.lancearthur.com/archives/..._grooming.html

Click the giganto links for well written articles on Man Grooming (clothing/skin/hair), style, etc. The site is geared toward a non-gay reader (but you must be friendly).
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 03-23-2006 at 02:17 PM.

you know what?

i'd like to see a full length clothed picture of you in your usual gear.

it might make it easier for twilo and i to give you a makeover.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Seriously? I could take a picture and upload it somewhere if you really want to see.

absolutely. you can block out your face or whatever, if you are shy.

i think it's just easier if you show us what you're working with.

It would help us visualize you... it only need be you in jeans and a t-shirt, not special production nocessary. It'll let us see your body type, palette, etc.

well with all due respect - i'd like to see him in his usual work gear too so that we can get an idea of his personal style as well.

he may have something work-able, and just badly cut or soemthing.

besides i'm curious to see if he wears a tweed jacket with patches at the elbows. *lol*
    Last edited by Tryska; 03-23-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Lol, awesome. I really appreciate all the help. I am at work at the moment (actually teaching but I left for a second), so all I could do at the moment is what I am currently wearing. If you want I could take some pictures of myself in different clothes when I get home and upload them tomorrow. I am entirely at your disposal.

what about a straight eye of the square guy, would be funny.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Well Tarendol - how about this - just take pictures of yourself in the outfit (or outfits) that motivated you to post this thread asking for advice.

i'm sure it will be enough to work with.

I uploaded some pictures of myself, if anyone really wants to see them and give me some fashion help just send me a PM!

Just post it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    what about a straight eye of the square guy, would be funny.
    lmao! on form as usual stein!

Lol, it is actually a strange honor to have Rock post in my thread. If I ever get exposed to a burst of gamma radiation in the lab I think I will turn into Rock...

I didn't post the link because I am taking it down soon and I don't want to make a broken link to annoy people later... plus the fact that I am a little embarassed about the way I look. But I am happy to give it to anyone who asks.