Thread: New To Lifting!

Wannabebig New Member

New To Lifting!

Hello guys, I'm 19 yr old (male) that just started lifting. I've had a membership to the gym for a year now but only went there to run. I decided to shape up all of a sudden, right after last christmas i said "I wanto get in really freaking good shape!" (lol). To tell you the truth I was in Argentina when the thought came to me, and I got to it once i came back. heheh
    I'm 5'8 and weight 138 + -. I just measured my body fat and its 17%, which its suposed to be "average".
    My goal is to be toned. I don't expect to get there all of a sudden! I'm a very reasonable person with down to earth expectations!
    I'm going to the gym 5 times a week or so right now. I think by joining this forum I will gain valuable info since you guys look a little more experienced than me ! I would like to gain info on nutritonal and routine facts and on how to get "cut" but not lose muscle mass! I love running, but I've realized I should almost stop doing it since I wanto GAIN as much muscle as I possibly can!
    I'm taking 120 grams of Whey Protein every day right now in the middle of the afternoon. I would like to know what other goodies are there to increase muscle mass?

I'm very happy with the results i've been getting by starting to work out, I can already see a big change even though its been 2 and a 1/2 months only. I used to have very little muscle mass, seriously!

Well, I'm glad i found this place!

Dan,

(Chris! You're cruising for a spanking!)

Hey

Ignore Chris. He's playing "tease the newbie".

Greetings, Robotizing. Post up a gym log.

Welcome Dan :-)
    You can still do cardio work (running, walking and such) You just need to take into ccount that you will need a lot more calories to burn whilst weight training or nothing will grow.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

17% is normal? Mine is 4%, guess im good then.

The key to building muscle mass isn't whey, it's lots and lots of food (mind you, you do need sufficient protein - but it's not some magic muscle-building nutrient).

This forum is deffinetly a great place to get information. Take a look around and read as much as you can and you will be in a great place to start packing on some quality mass.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 03-23-2006 at 08:01 PM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Benchpress, how do you figure you're at 4%?
    what she said. i'd love to see some pictures if you have any. i'm not trying to accuse you of being a liar, but i am pretty freakin skeptical about the 4% body fat. that is ridiculously low. from what i know, like the lowest pro's go down to is around 2% bf and that's with the use of a ****load of diuretics... and they only keep this % for a very short period of time during contests because it could kill you.
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotizing
    Hello guys, I'm 19 yr old (male) that just started lifting. I've had a membership to the gym for a year now but only went there to run. I decided to shape up all of a sudden, right after last christmas i said "I wanto get in really freaking good shape!" (lol). To tell you the truth I was in Argentina when the thought came to me, and I got to it once i came back. heheh
    I'm 5'8 and weight 138 + -. I just measured my body fat and its 17%, which its suposed to be "average".
    My goal is to be toned. I don't expect to get there all of a sudden! I'm a very reasonable person with down to earth expectations!
    I'm going to the gym 5 times a week or so right now. I think by joining this forum I will gain valuable info since you guys look a little more experienced than me ! I would like to gain info on nutritonal and routine facts and on how to get "cut" but not lose muscle mass! I love running, but I've realized I should almost stop doing it since I wanto GAIN as much muscle as I possibly can!
    I'm taking 120 grams of Whey Protein every day right now in the middle of the afternoon. I would like to know what other goodies are there to increase muscle mass?

I'm very happy with the results i've been getting by starting to work out, I can already see a big change even though its been 2 and a 1/2 months only. I used to have very little muscle mass, seriously!

Well, I'm glad i found this place!

Dan,
    congrats on making a great decision and on the positive attitude!
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs