The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Are you sure it's actually larger, or does it just look relatively larger because your whole chest is smaller?

Also, the increased definition resulting from decreased bf might appear to make your upper chest bigger when in actuality it is just more defined.
    if it looked larger relatively, ccuz my chest was smaller, then it would have looked that way before. i have muscle mass along my upper / inner, like right on my breast bone, that i never had nearly as much of before. this is what fully convinced me beyond a doubt, and gave me the idea to come post. i wouldn't dare post when i was only 'mostly' convinced.

sooooo... i got them pics, but if anyone looked over on that reef site, it got REAL ugly when i tried hosting those 2 from earlier. someone on the site turned them both upside down, and the comments were getting really really nasty beneath it (everyone was saying i am on steroids (i'm not), that i was gay, and all kinds of dick head stuff.... of course there's tons and tons of arbitrary pics on there of tattoos and cars, and they are completely ignored, but you post a 'sexy' body up there and everyone has to come in with insults, hatred, and automatically assume it is because of roids, not hard work. i know it shouldn't bother me, and there individual comments don't bother me, but it makes me sad how that is so typical of human nature in many people. i'm sure we can all think of scenarios where a hot girl walks in, and every girl in the room immediately notices all the little flaws.... really sad stuff.

1) but i got dem pics! can anyone link me to a pic resizer real quick so i can put htem all up here before i go to dinner?

2) i know i used to know the response to this, but if you emphasize a certain part of your chest, why then, after doing a workout of ONLY steep incline presses, is your upper chest extremely sore, and your lower chest not sore at all? i feel like that is enough right there to show that different parts of the chest were affected differently, but i am pretty sure i remember the rebuttal to that, so i'll stop on that one for now

I stopped doing bench press four months ago because the lower area of my chest was substantially bigger than the upper portion - almost looked like muscular man-boobs. I've been doing only incline for four months and it's made a big difference - my pecs are well proportioned and my collar bones are no longer visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    I stopped doing bench press four months ago because the lower area of my chest was substantially bigger than the upper portion - almost looked like muscular man-boobs. I've been doing only incline for four months and it's made a big difference - my pecs are well proportioned and my collar bones are no longer visible.
    that's how long i was doing this too (working only upper chest).

i wish just one person who has a ton of posts, and is on the other side of the fence here and has ****ty upper to lower chest ratios, would just give it a shot, even if they think it's not gonna work, so we can bury this damn thing. i mean if you knew me in real life, you would definitely believe me if i said i was sure. i wouldn't say i'm sure until i was damn sure, 100%, that i was right. remember, i believed the opposite to be true, then i figured i woudl try it, and it worked. but i'm just some kid on a board, and i don't have enough notoreity around any internet boards for my opinion to have much weight.

if someone can tell me what program to use to resize those pics i can show them. it's hard for me to say if you'll be able to see the difference. i see it, but that's because i'm looking in the mirror at it and am seeing the subtle change.

seriously tho, if 1 respected veteran here just made a selfless sacrifice of 4 months, adn did upper chest only, we could really bury this. i mean you definitely know if it worked or not if you really know your body. that's hte problem, is any time someone says it works, most (including myself when i was on teh other side of the fence 5/6 months ago) people think they are clueless and are imagining it. i know you all probably think i'm imagining it, and i don't see any reason why you should believe me if you're in the mindset i used to be in, but if someone really really respected here just sacrificed 4 months for the greater good, we coudl really bury this thing. just a thought. (seriously, if we are all wrong and imagining it, you would have only lost 4 months. then you'd be able to use pictures to back yourself up too when future debates of this nature come up. and, if you're still doing a chest / pressing movement, your overall progress won't suffer THAT much. come on, someone needs to take one for the team here..........

Use MS Paint. It comes with Windows.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

*Yawn* I'm still going to ask exactly why some people think that incline would target the upper chest more than the lower. I need a reason because "uh your arms are higher up so it must hit the higher part of your chest" doesn't follow any specific form of logic.

Plus we've already gone over the fact that genetics play a role in the shape and development of a muscle. I'm sure some people will have chests that start developing the lower area more than the upper and then later the ratio (or whatever you'd call it) can get changed up.

Jazer, remember for every 1 of these cases when someone claims they enlarged their upper chest, there are another dozen where the person was unable to do so.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

here we go

these are the old ones, from when i was powerlifting and larger, ~165, and had not targetted my upper/inner chest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    *Yawn* I'm still going to ask exactly why some people think that incline would target the upper chest more than the lower. I need a reason because "uh your arms are higher up so it must hit the higher part of your chest" doesn't follow any specific form of logic.
    can't help you there, as i stated i agreed with your logic originally when i read and re-read all of the arguments on this, at which point i was fully convinced, as you are now. then i finally tried it and it worked, and i guess you can say that everyone who finds it to work is imagining it, and maybe some/most are, who knows, but i definitely have found a difference, and dont' think i'm going insane or anything.

fatrb38, you definitely seem like you are up on the scientific/physiological facts of this, and if you want to know why incline would target upper chest more, maybe you can answer this for me: why is your upper chest very sore if you do only incline pressing, and your lower chest is not? i would imagine the answer to that is the basis of why incline would develop upper chest.

I fail to see any difference, especially since the pics are taken at different angles. How do you know your chest isn't genetically pre-determined to grow this way(assuming there is a difference)?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Honestly to me it looks like your entire chest is bigger in general. To be honest though it could just be me being biased. As for your incline question I can't answer it because I haven't done incline in a long time, maybe I'll try it out next week and see how that goes.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

You lower chest looks bigger in the after pics, actually, but generally, your pecs just look bigger. But it's basically just hard to tell. In the 2nd before pic, it looks like you have much smaller pecs than all three of the others.

You are impressively lean in all of the pics though. Add 30-40lbs of muscle and you will never care about your upper or lower chest because it will be better than almost everyone else's.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 03-24-2006 at 08:38 PM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Is it just me, or do I not see a problem with the size of his chest in the first pics? As far as I am concerned, that is an excellent physique that I wouldn't want to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You lower chest looks bigger in the after pics, actually, but generally, your pecs just look bigger. But it's basically just hard to tell. In the 2nd before pic, it looks like you have much smaller pecs than all three of the others.

Maybe I'm crazy but this is what I saw as well. If that difference is enough for you to only do inclines, then only do inclines who care. But you barely grew in any way so who cares if you upper chest got %.002 bigger.

BTW, you look good. But your chest needs work, lol, jk.
    Last edited by smalls; 03-25-2006 at 12:06 AM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Jazer, I like incline work better, too - just seems to hit the pec better on me, without wrecking my rotator cuff any further.

You look GREAT!

I dont know about a difference but you look good!

Naught difference.

I love me some me !
    yea I didnt see a huge change but nice abs dude!
    *Shrug* Your call though...-ArchAngel777 (I hate choosing though)

THIS IS THE SAME POST AS EARLIER, I REALIZED I HAD MY FACE IN THERE, SO THESE ARE THE SAME 'AFTER PICS', AND SAME PARAGRAPH, W/O MY FACE...

and................... here's some i just snapped today.

i had just finished a workout before taking these pics, so my chest in fact looks bigger than in the first pics, but i can assure you it's inflammation/blood. of course we are only concerned with shape here tho, so that wouldn't matter, assuming the muscle acted completely uniformly and nothign can be emphasized

look two posts back at my (2) before pics, focus on the upper/inner, i am pretty sure the difference is visible in these photos. i can assure you that i had been obsessed with fixing this for a while, which is why i spent an embarrassingly large amount of hours researchign these threads, hoping for a reason to try it. i was never convinced until way later reading that charles glass interview. but i know i had virtually no muscle on my upper/inner chest, it bothered me a lot and i was fixated on it, as most are on their lagging parts. now i definitely have much more muscle there, and my chest is not larger in relation to anything

again, the 'after' pics are right after a wrokout, so my chest as a whole looks bigger, but it's the muscle mass right on the top, the maximum upper/inner, that i was tryign to show in the pics

You can't see it I'm afraid.

I have to agree you can't tell a difference, because the poses aren't even the same. You might just respond better to incline presses so your chest grew as a whole, bud. Whatever you are doing, it seems to be working for you, so keep it up.

It looks like your chest got bigger (good job), but I don't see any shape difference (sorry).
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

And here I was halfway expecting my reality to turn upside down.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    And here I was halfway expecting my reality to turn upside down.
    haha i told you guys not to expect much, the difference is very small (again, i've only been doing this routine for 4 months)

look at this edited picture, the circled area is what i am talking about. i was so incredibly thin there, i hated it. that is a major reason i was so hellbent on reading into the upper/no-upper debates. i used to have virtually nothign there, and now i have some decent thickness on that area coming out.

open both of the pics in this one, and focus just on that circle i drew on teh after pic, i swear i can see it even in these pics, of course that doesn't mean much because i see it in the mirror, so of course i'll see it in a pic.
    Last edited by jazer80; 03-25-2006 at 07:29 PM.

overall Jazer, you got a nice physique.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Can't see it sorry. This is not intended as a flame but I think you may be experiencing the 'placebo effect'

But I wouldn't worry too much about it, as other posters have pointed out you have a good build regardless.