The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 126 to 150 of 150
  1. #126
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    As far as I'm concerned, no one has PROVED anything yet.

    jazer isn't arguing that you can change the shape of a muscle, he's arguing that you can emphasize a seperate head of the pectoralis major which, considering the only thing that cannot be argued against(anatomy and physiology), seems entirely possible. Will it make a big difference? Probably not, but that isn't what's being argued. In the same way, Belial has used arguments based on anatomy and physiology to support the other side(alot of the neural stuff I don't fully understand yet), but everyone coming in and saying naw there's no upper and lower chest, you can't emphasize either, just because that's been the mantra here for years doesn't really contribute to the discussion.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 04-01-2006 at 04:22 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  2. #127
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Breast implants?

  3. #128
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    As far as I'm concerned, no one has PROVED anything yet.

    jazer isn't arguing that you can change the shape of a muscle, (1) he's arguing that you can emphasize a seperate head of the pectoralis major which, considering the only thing that cannot be argued against(anatomy and physiology), seems entirely possible. Will it make a big difference? (2) Probably not, but that isn't what's being argued. In the same way, Belial has used arguments based on anatomy and physiology to support the other side(alot of the neural stuff I don't fully understand yet), (3) but everyone coming in and saying naw there's no upper and lower chest, you can't emphasize either, just because that's been the mantra here for years doesn't really contribute to the discussion.
    (numbers are mine)

    1. Simply because you may be able to emphasize a separate head of a certain muscle, does not mean that you should. People are saying that it is a waste of time and rather pointless to do so.

    2. No, that is exactly what is being argued. That's even what the title is about. He is claiming that he is noticing a difference in the upper pec region as opposed to overall growth. People are arguing that the whole pec grew and that there isn't much if any difference. This has been a key point throughout the thread.

    3. There is no upper or lower chest. When people say that, they are talking about the pectoralis major. It is one muscle. There is no line of separation. It is not a mantra, simply established fact.

  4. #129
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,770
    There is no separate head of the pec major. Its called the tricep because there are 3 heads. Its called the bicep because there are 2 heads. The pec major does not have multiple heads.

    Look at the exact physiology of the chest. Go look at it and then come back. Do a bit more research on how the chest works, reacts, and most importantly, moves.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  5. #130
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    There is no separate head of the pec major.
    http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/PectoralisClavicular.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/PectoralisSternal.html

    If it is possible to emphasize growth in the Clavicular head, it doesn't look like it would do much for your overall chest.

  6. #131
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Biomechanics guys correct me here if this is wrong.

    One of the best arguments I have ever heard against the idea of shaping muscle is the harmonics involved. The idea that if one bicep head was applying more force it could pull the tendon off the bone, or if one 'part' or 'head' of the pec major pulled with more force it would disrupt the harmonics of the movement and bad things would happen.

    -----------------------------------

    Neuroscience guys correct me here if this is wrong.

    The argument here would be that your muscle is wired with certain motor units and innervation patterns. Meaning your muscle contracts in a particular way because of how it's wired. Not how you train.

    -----------------------------------

    Of course this could be.....

    Last edited by Holto; 04-01-2006 at 08:57 PM.

  7. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    Biomechanics guys correct me here if this is wrong.

    One of the best arguments I have ever heard against the idea of shaping muscle is the harmonics involved. The idea that if one bicep head was applying more force it could pull the tendon off the bone, or if one 'part' or 'head' of the pec major pulled with more force it would disrupt the harmonics of the movement and bad things would happen.

    -----------------------------------

    Neuroscience guys correct me here if this is wrong.

    The argument here would be that your muscle is wired with certain motor units and innervation patterns. Meaning your muscle contracts in a particular way because of how it's wired. Not how you train.

    -----------------------------------

    Of course this could be.....

    okay, i'm starting to think that i can't fully guarantee that my lower chest didn't grow in proportional to the upper. when i look in the mirror, the lower chest looks smaller than it did before, adn the very upper/inner looks bigger. i reposted before and afters for reference. i know i grew in my upper/inner, as there is clear mass at a spot there wasn't before, but it is harder for me to give a 100% on whether or not hte bottom's size is the same/smaller/larger. you all know what i think, and i know what you think. i don't htink we're getting much further on this issue, but PLEASE DON'T CLOSE THIS THREAD, I AM STILL TRAINING FOR UPPER, SO I WILL HAVE PICS IN ANOTHER MONTH OR TWO!!!!

    I now have a couple more questions on stuff that was touched upon in this thread
    1)i'm not gonna go back and find who in the thread said this, but you always hear that you cannot maek one part of hte body bigger (disproportionately) than the rest. that made sense to me, but later that day, cases like major league pitchers, or nfl kickers, made me think that about having heard they have these unbalanced issues. what gives?

    2)even if you prettymuch cannot emphasize a certain part of your chest, but it seems that you can ever so slightly, why wouldn't you just do inclines anyways? i mean i know it's less weight, but it is still stressing your chest to the max, so the weight used is a moot point. yes, you are involving shoulders more, but you could drop shoulder exercises to compensate. if tehre is a chance for even a slgiht emphasis to be seen on the upper chest, what would be a downfall of doing it this way, assuming it didn't bug your shoulders as i've heard it does to some people?

  8. #133
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    that made sense to me, but later that day, cases like major league pitchers, or nfl kickers, made me think that about having heard they have these unbalanced issues. what gives?
    Of course you can develop out of proportion. Look at Randy Johnson. It usually takes a long time, though. The point that we're trying to make to new lifters is that development in any one area will be slower if the balancing musculature does not exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    2)even if you prettymuch cannot emphasize a certain part of your chest, but it seems that you can ever so slightly, why wouldn't you just do inclines anyways? i mean i know it's less weight, but it is still stressing your chest to the max, so the weight used is a moot point.
    Inclines do not stress the chest maximally. In almost every case, they are deltoid limited. There are a number of reasons to work on overhead pressing, particularly standing presses. So, if you're doing overhead presses, you probably want to focus on flat bench rather than incline, so as to not overwork the anterior delts.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  9. #134
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    There is no separate head of the pec major. Its called the tricep because there are 3 heads. Its called the bicep because there are 2 heads. The pec major does not have multiple heads.

    Look at the exact physiology of the chest

    WHAT?

    You're a big, strong mofo. You're also smart. You should know better than this...
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  10. #135
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,770
    LMAO! I remember in another thread where I posted the information that Holto did right under my post. It was late when I posted that, or at least that's the excuse I'm using.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  11. #136
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    It was late when I posted that, or at least that's the excuse I'm using.
    We'll go with that.

    I belive any muscle that ends in _____ Major has multiple heads. Deltoid Major etc..

  12. #137
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    We'll go with that.

    I belive any muscle that ends in _____ Major has multiple heads. Deltoid Major etc..
    No, the pec major istelf has two heads, clavicular and sternal. The pectoralis minor is different entirely. The deltoid is a single muscle with three heads, anterior, lateral, and posterior.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  13. #138
    Wrecker of Homes d'Anconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,975
    Can someone explain to my why different heads aren't considered different muscles? Is it that they are attached somewhere at the same point or ?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

  14. #139
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    No, the pec major istelf has two heads, clavicular and sternal. The pectoralis minor is different entirely. The deltoid is a single muscle with three heads, anterior, lateral, and posterior.
    Ok disregard the major comment. Not sure if you meant the first part toward me as I stated this correctly above, linking to both heads of the pec major.

  15. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    201
    someone made the argument that you couldn't do this because your body keeps balance and doesn't let things go 'out of harmony' to paraphrase. i disagree with this, as i was at work today and it came to me that nfl kickers def have larger kicking legs than their other leg.

  16. #141
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    okay, i'm starting to think that i can't fully guarantee that my lower chest didn't grow in proportional to the upper. when i look in the mirror, the lower chest looks smaller than it did before, adn the very upper/inner looks bigger. i reposted before and afters for reference. i know i grew in my upper/inner, as there is clear mass at a spot there wasn't before, but it is harder for me to give a 100% on whether or not hte bottom's size is the same/smaller/larger. you all know what i think, and i know what you think. i don't htink we're getting much further on this issue, but PLEASE DON'T CLOSE THIS THREAD, I AM STILL TRAINING FOR UPPER, SO I WILL HAVE PICS IN ANOTHER MONTH OR TWO!!!!

    I now have a couple more questions on stuff that was touched upon in this thread
    1)i'm not gonna go back and find who in the thread said this, but you always hear that you cannot maek one part of hte body bigger (disproportionately) than the rest. that made sense to me, but later that day, cases like major league pitchers, or nfl kickers, made me think that about having heard they have these unbalanced issues. what gives?

    2)even if you prettymuch cannot emphasize a certain part of your chest, but it seems that you can ever so slightly, why wouldn't you just do inclines anyways? i mean i know it's less weight, but it is still stressing your chest to the max, so the weight used is a moot point. yes, you are involving shoulders more, but you could drop shoulder exercises to compensate. if tehre is a chance for even a slgiht emphasis to be seen on the upper chest, what would be a downfall of doing it this way, assuming it didn't bug your shoulders as i've heard it does to some people?

    1. Since the usage of steroids is so wide-spread among professionals in most sports, one could make the case that you could definitely develop out of proportion to a noticable degree, but that would be more a factor of drug use and would still take a long time.

    2. Mr. Nash already touched on this one.

  17. #142
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Can someone explain to my why different heads aren't considered different muscles? Is it that they are attached somewhere at the same point or ?
    Because the heads are all attached to the 'belly' of the muscle.

  18. #143
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Bump.

    Mr. jazer do you have any pics yet? You did promise them.

  19. #144
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    Last edited by lucifer92384; 03-14-2007 at 06:31 PM.

  20. #145
    sissy Bohizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer92384 View Post
    test
    are u ******ed?
    Do what needs to be done.

    Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

  21. #146
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle View Post
    are u ******ed?
    Could'nt see the pictures without having more than zero posts.

  22. #147
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,120
    So that was your first post? You couldn't think of anything better to write than test? Not only that, you did it in a year old thread.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-14-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  23. #148
    cakin Cirino83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle View Post
    are u ******ed?
    hahahahaha

  24. #149
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1
    i dont see that there is any problem doing a first post saying test just so that he can see the pic. and even better that its a year old post because nobody will be so annoyed about it. its a great topic, and im pretty much doign the same thing. first post = pics

  25. #150
    Wants to be big x2 Ramstein85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    0
    I understand what the OP said cause im doing the same thing. THe chest is one muscle but i have no done Incline bench maybe all my life. Jsut started recently and my chest shape is becoming better because the 'upper' parts of my chest are being emphasised on. Im not saying theres 2 pecs on each side, just that you emphasise on what part is possible
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

    It's all about the benjamins....

    And so it came to pass...

    Weight: 85kg/13 Stone
    Status: Just Lifting, eating and sleeping.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •