Thread: my first real squat

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

my first real squat

Hey. I just squatted for the first "real" time yesterday; I say "real" because previously I have done it but not on a regular basis and cheated myself of a real workout by using a smith. However, I am getting very worried now - when I went home I felt my neck and a vertebrae on my spine was like protruding from the back of my neck, right around the mid-trap area. It still protrudes now and it hurts when I press down on it.

I remember reading an article that warned of placing the bar too high on your neck or something and saying that it could lead to serious injury. As I was a tad rushed yesterday, I think that is probably what happened. I regret going into it so fast now; and I am wondering if this is normal or a very bad condition - if so, how can I get rid of this (besides obviously using proper form next time)?

I'd concentrate on keeping your shoulders back and traps flexed... This will definately help keep it off your back. If you're doing high bar olympic style squats then I'd say a little pain in the neck (no pun intended) is unavoidable... If you go to more of a low-bar powerlifting style squat then you can completely avoid this pain but you can't really go ATF.

I switched to 'real' squats about 6 months ago myself. It is definately worth it!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

hammin'
    pinch your shoulder blades back and arch your back

you want the bar to rest on your flexed traps rather than straight on your spine
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

like they said, pull ur shoulders back and rest the bar on the lower portion of your traps and stick ur chest out with ur back arched (doing what i like to call the "fag back")

u may not have built up ur traps yet which means it is probably going to hurt for a while but eventually u wont feel anything at all.
    age 16
    weight 176
    bench 325
    squat 410
    powerclean(HangClean) 305

Mind--><--Body

Gains since end of football season:
    weight = 16 lbs
    bench = 40 lbs
    squat = 100 lbs
    powerclean = 50 lbs

^^lost a lot of strength durring football season, the hardest part was getting to where i had already been then numbers just kept going up.