The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most Superior Nut/Seed...

I know almost all nuts and seeds are great sources of healthy fats and some protein and great additions to diets, but which one is most superior in these terms? i've heard almonds as well as walnuts and if i was going to choose one to snack on which one would be best as far as nutrients etc.?

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i prefer almonds

Why Eat It

Almonds are a surprisingly decent source of calcium: Although you would have to consume 330 calories' worth of almonds to get a significant quantity of this bone-building mineral, almonds contain more calcium than any other nut. Almonds are also a significant source of magnesium, which contributes to strong bones as well, and they supply a healthy amount of vitamin E. These sweet, versatile nuts have the highest dietary fiber content of any nut or seed, supplying more than 3 grams of fiber per ounce; like all nuts, almonds are a good source of protein, although they are lacking the essential amino acid, lysine. (However, that problem is easily solved by combining almonds with legumes that are high in lysine).

More than 65% of the fat in almonds is monounsaturated, which can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Almonds also contain the phytochemicals quercetin and kaempferol, both of which may be protective against cancer.
    Last edited by getfit; 04-18-2006 at 02:46 AM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Almonds for me, followed by peanuts.

Almonds taste great with salt. Peanuts dry my mouth out more, plus the taste eventually starts to annoy me. Also I can eat a few 100g's of almonds and my stomach is fine, but after a few 100g's of peanuts, I'm crapping with whole nuts in it. (Sorry for TMI)

Banned
    Walnuts! They are much softer and much easier to chew. They are also a superfood, and have one of the highest healthy fat content and calories of any nut. 20g fat and 200 calories! Eat only a handful (1/4 cup) 3-4 times a day for a great daily intake of good fats and easy calories!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Almonds for me, followed by peanuts.

Almonds taste great with salt. Peanuts dry my mouth out more, plus the taste eventually starts to annoy me. Also I can eat a few 100g's of almonds and my stomach is fine, but after a few 100g's of peanuts, I'm crapping with whole nuts in it. (Sorry for TMI)
    Peanuts are a legume not a nut

But i'd agree with almonds, although walnuts are great too.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Banned
    i like macadamia nuts best

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman15

Peanuts are a legume not a nut

But i'd agree with almonds, although walnuts are great too.
    Wow, I didnt know that!

Pealegumes doesn't have the same ring to it though

Walnuts

People who eat walnuts have fewer heart attacks. One study actually found an inverse relationship between walnut consumption and all deaths.
    I don't know how a walnut could keep you from being hit by a runaway streetcar, but I do believe it's one healthful little nut. Walnuts are one of the few rich sources of plant-derived Omega-3 fatty acids (alpha linolenic acid), therefore complimenting the animal-derived Omega-3 fatty acids we get from another power food, salmon.
    They're also high in plant sterols, which reduce cholesterol. Combine that with their arginine-powered ability to keep the insides of blood vessels smooth and you can understand their effect on heart health.
    In addition to all that, they're the nut with the highest anti-oxidant activity, and they contain rich amounts of magnesium and copper, two minerals that are typically deficient in the American diet.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Walnuts
    Yep. Walnuts have the best omega-3:omega-6 fatty acid ratio among nuts and seeds (and oils too, I think). I've heard you should soak and/or toast them before eating them though, as they contain certain anti-nutrients raw. Anybody else hear of this?
    Last edited by threatmix; 04-18-2006 at 05:27 PM.

i used to take walnuts and stuff them in the middle of a fig and bake them, i can say it tasted awesome
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Banned
    Just grab a handful of walnuts 3-4 times a day on a bulk for great coverage! Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by threatmix
    Yep. Walnuts have the best omega-3:omega-6 fatty acid ratio among nuts and seeds (and oils too, I think). I've heard you should soak and/or toast them before eating them though, as they contain certain anti-nutrients raw. Anybody else hear of this?
    Yes, but cant back it up, as ive only heard of it. But ya sure cook them or throw them onto a salad...anyway is good. Try to consume 8 ounces a day.
    And just for the record, flax seeds are, bar none, the best source of plant-derived Omega-3 fatty acids.

So have I, those are great, just not the best source of Omega-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    People who eat walnuts have fewer heart attacks. One study actually found an inverse relationship between walnut consumption and all deaths.
    I don't know how a walnut could keep you from being hit by a runaway streetcar, but I do believe it's one healthful little nut. Walnuts are one of the few rich sources of plant-derived Omega-3 fatty acids (alpha linolenic acid), therefore complimenting the animal-derived Omega-3 fatty acids we get from another power food, salmon.
    They're also high in plant sterols, which reduce cholesterol. Combine that with their arginine-powered ability to keep the insides of blood vessels smooth and you can understand their effect on heart health.
    In addition to all that, they're the nut with the highest anti-oxidant activity, and they contain rich amounts of magnesium and copper, two minerals that are typically deficient in the American diet.
    how bout you site this instead of taking it as your own? its straight from 13 Power Foods on T-Nation.

"No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86

i currently snack on raw almonds, so i was just curious if i was getting the most "bang for my buck" persay in terms of nutrtition.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    i currently snack on raw almonds, so i was just curious if i was getting the most "bang for my buck" persay in terms of nutrtition.
    absolutely

gain 50lbs-Anthony

how bout you site this instead of taking it as your own? its straight from 13 Power Foods on T-Nation.
    My appologies, didnt know I had to.

For sure, I do it as well.

you don't have to necessarily, but i would from now on. Its just safer and is a lot less prone to piss other people off.

especially if its word for word from another site/article/author.

Makes sense about pissing certain ppl off, what do you mean by safer though?

well im fat and i like honey roasted peanuts, lol, but a nice trail mix is awesome.
    2000 or bust

i meant safer by not pissing the wrong people off.