Thread: Critique My 4-day workout

Critique My 4-day workout

OK, I have done a TON of research on lifting (it's about all I do in my spare time) and here's what I've come up with. Note: The main purpose of this workout is to become more explosive in sports (bigger, faster, stronger, and jump higher). This is all being done in addition to track practice, which includes sprints on opposite days, and high jump training.

LEG WORKOUT

1. "Pogo jump" warm-up (3 sets of 20 seconds with 30 seconds rest; high and low jumps)

2. Static Hip-flexor stretch

3. Squat (3 x 2-5) with Tuck jump immediately following each set (sets of 10)

4. Clean and Jerk (3 x 2-5) w/ standing backward medicine ball throws b/t sets (may be substituted with Dumbell swings)

5. Wide-Grip Deadlifts (3 x 2-5) w/ Depth Jumps b/t sets (sets of 10)

The leg workout is done 2x a week, on Mon. and Thurs.

UPPER BODY WORKOUT

1. Push ups for warmups

2. Bench Press (3 x 2-5) w/ "snappers" b/t sets (sets of 10)

3. Weighted Decline Sit-ups (3 x 5)

4. Weighted Side Bends (3 x 5)

The upper body workout is done 2x a week, on Tues. and Fri.

Wednesdays and weekends are for resting

Yes, I know I need a dump-truck full of good fats, complex carbs, and protein. I use fitday.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

At 5'11 140, and a 565 total, you don't need to make things so complicated, and you should be using moderate volume.

For example, a squat protocol could be 10-5-5-5-4-3. The set of 3 is the one you want to set a PR on, but the other sets are preparatory sets and add to the volume. This is more effective for a hypertrophy and strength combination. I wouldn't recommend something like 4x10 (at this point), because the strength gains would be extremely slow with that protocol.

I also would not recommend performing the exact same workout twice in one week. I have trained that way before, and although it works for beginners, after about 1-2 months the gains cease. I would rather do a 3-4 day a week routine, with a different workout on each day. Total body, but with a different emphasis on each day.

For instance, the days could be broken up as vertical plane, horizontal plane, quad dominant day, and hip dominant day. Vertical day would have things such as overhead press and chins, horizontal day would have bench and rows, quad day would have squats, and hip day would have deadlifts or power cleans. Obviously you'd need more exercises than that, so I'd recommend about 3-4 exercises per workout.

I can always substitute bench press with incline or decline. And I can sub squats with the multi-hip machine.
    6'0" 180
    ........Bench= 275

Oh, yeah, some of the things in my signature aren't current either. It's been about a month since I wrote it and I'm updating it soon. For instance, according to online calculators, if I can bench 120 10x, my max should be 160. I still need to max out sometime soon.
    6'0" 180
    ........Bench= 275