The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Considering squat rack purchase...

Good evening all,

Due to my 40-minute drive to the gym, an hour commute back and forth to work every day, and the fact that my gym is populated with so many folks who think a squat rack is for curling and that DB kickbacks are the best thing since sliced bread, I've been considering purchasing a squat rack for home use. I already have an olympic set up in the garage loft that I use on days when I do cleans or overhead moves (was informed it's not allowed at the gym...too dangerous to passers-by ).

Being on a limited budget, I can't really go for the $700 jobs. I have found this:
    http://newyorkbarbells.tv/93132.html

It looks ok to me, but I'm inexperienced in the equipment market. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
    -p-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    It doesn't look like it has any safety arms on it. I hate lifting without safeties, but that's just me.

I actually have a pair of sawhorses that are the perfect height for safety stands. I've also considered building a squat rack, but my carpentry skills are not exactly, well...ok, I suck with a hammer
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals:

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

from my experience, the bench/squat rack/ what have you that are adjustable in that way, with the holders held at the height by a pin, are pretty shaky at the top. I've only had one bench though and have only used a few other setups like that, but if u can find a setup with a different adjustment system, i think u'd be better off.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Is the fact that people do kickbacks and curls actually a factor for you in the decision to workout at home? Worry about yourself dude.

Also, you know you cannot do any bench pressing in that rack, correct?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Is the fact that people do kickbacks and curls actually a factor for you in the decision to workout at home? Worry about yourself dude.

Also, you know you cannot do any bench pressing in that rack, correct?
    More of a joke, but the fact that I was tapped on the shoulder the other day and told I wasn't allowed to do cleans or jerks/snatches tells me this isn't the gym for me. I do worry only about myself...but it's hard to get a set of squats in when they're being continually used by folks who spend an hour doing set after set of curls in them.

Yeah, can't do benches...but in my initial training I made good gains without them.

-p-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals: