Thread: Does it matter what kind of cardio you DO???

Banned

Does it matter what kind of cardio you DO???

i was woundering is certain kinds of cardio burns more fat then others,,,or is cardio just cardio..
    like a spend about 30min on a bike, very fast...and i sweet very good,,,or will i burn more of i go on a tredmill or running out side.
    im trying to cutt right now, so im trying to burn lots of CAL...
    so any would would be great

Each form of cardio is going to burn a different amount of calories. Swimming vs running, running vs. biking, etc etc.

Just do some form of cardio and work towards a target heart rate for a certain amount of time.

MACHINE

Re: Does it matter what kind of cardio you DO???

Originally posted by KenShamrock
    i was woundering is certain kinds of cardio burns more fat then others,,,or is cardio just cardio..
    What's your goal? Do you want to simply burn as much fat as possible or burn fat while retaining as much muscle as possible?
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

so lets say your a skinny bitch like me who is gonna cut, and you need to be very very careful about muscle loss what type of cardio should you do?

and should you just go for a heart rate or just say **** it and run till failure? thats what i do when i do cardio, i just keep going till i cant and adjust the time i do by turning up or down the speed on the tread

Wannabebig Member
    Reiner,
    I am new to this board and not sure about your training history, routine, and lifestyle. If you are a skinny guy there is a chance that you allready have a fast metabolism, high cortisol levels, or both. So running to failure is one of the worst things you could do in pursuit of muscle or definition. Without knowing your info the best advice I could give you is to do at most power walking or light cycling 3 x a week for around 20 minutes or if that is to boring 2 x a week of 12 minutes of high intensity cardio. For others the recomendation would probably be a mix of longer cardio sessions(around 45 min.) and intervals switched each session. I still believe for alot the best way to get defined is to get as much muscle (burns calories constantly) and watch what you eat.

MACHINE
    Originally posted by Reinier
    so lets say your a skinny bitch like me who is gonna cut, and you need to be very very careful about muscle loss what type of cardio should you do?

and should you just go for a heart rate or just say **** it and run till failure? thats what i do when i do cardio, i just keep going till i cant and adjust the time i do by turning up or down the speed on the tread
    Maximum heart rate x .60 = target heart rate for optimal fat burning cardio. It's not too intense. My target heart rate can be reached by a fast walk on the treadmill(4.0 mph). Do this for 30-40 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. Do not do intense cardio often if you can't afford to lose some muscle.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Generally any form of cardio where you must support your own body weight burns more calories than one where you do not, example being running vs biking.

It's really more important that you do cardio rather than the type, anything that gets your heart up will suffice.

Personally I prefer sex so got tell your girlfriend it's not about you and your needs but rather you wanting to look your best for her.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Wannabebig Member
    "so got tell your girlfriend it's not about you and your needs but rather you wanting to look your best for her. "

Damn, I thought I was the only one using this line.

Jack ive been really trainings since september 2001.

i was 178 lbs 18% then, now im like 206 lbs, not sure about bf. i do know i gained more muscle than fat.
    I`m 6"4 so im still a skinny mofo, ill cut in march and im wondering what type of cardio.

this change anything about your advice?

Wannabebig Member
    Reinier,
    206@6'4'' is not too bad I was expecting much worse. You have made some good gains. What I said before about muscle and diet being the two keys to definintion still apply. I believe cardio is great for endurance, heart health, and various other things. Having said this my advice for cardio for you is one that covers all areas. One session intervals, next session 20-40 minutes at a pace that would still allow you to hold a conversation and not be out of breath(not a big fan of taking target heart rate too seriously), and final session 12 minutes of high intensity aerobics. 3 sessions spread throughout the week. The next step is up to you these session are not in addition to any other cardio session you might do throughout the week basketball, swimming, sex(serious about this one burns a lot of calories and does use alot of energy), etc.. If you just want to get cut up and not lose alot of bodyweight the type of weightlifting will make more of a difference then cardio for overall appearance.
    Hope this helps

i play loads and loads of basketball, specially when the weather gets warmer. so you say that if id be doing that intensely about 3 times a week which when its warm is a minimum for me the gym cardio isn`t needed?

and just what is the meaning of cycling your type of cardio like that, how does it help you lose fat or sustain muscle doing it?

Wannabebig Member
    Hey ken if you want to be an MMA/NHB fighter just train/grapple. that is a great way to lose weight and get in shape
    Teenidol1

"You can say whatever you want. But you would still be wrong, of course." -Henry Rollins

Hell is other people- Jean-Paul Sartre

Re: Does it matter what kind of cardio you DO???

Originally posted by KenShamrock
    like a spend about 30min on a bike, very fast...and i sweet very good,,,or will i burn more of i go on a tredmill or running out side.
    im trying to cutt right now, so im trying to burn lots of CAL...
    so any would would be great
    Fat burning is largely a matter of an increased heart rate. Any cardio will do that. That's why they call it cardio. Yes, many argue that one type is inherently better than another, but I think that the differences are nominal at best. It comes down to personal preference IMO,
    gt

Dad: "Son, if you keep doing that you'll go blind."
    Son: "I'm over here Dad."

Wannabebig Member
    3 times a week of basketball will more then satisfy your cardio needs if you want to keep all your muscle. The reason why I said to cycle your cardio is for 3 reasons.
    1) Like gymtime said everyone argues about what type of cardio is the best and there is no ultimate final answer. So might as well cycle between each type to ensure you are getting the benefits of each type.
    2) Boredom factor. Some variety will keep this some what in check.
    3) There is a theory by some that by switching intensity levels in cardio you could shock your metabolism so it does not adapt to one type. Not proven just an idea that is thrown around.