The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hang Clean vs Full Clean

Hang clean and Full clean are two different lifts and my mind. At football we are allowed to max doing a hang clean for our powerclean. I choose to do hang clean because i can do much more weight so therfore, i will look better statistically.

In your opinion what are the pros and cons to each lift?
    age 16
    weight 176
    bench 325
    squat 410
    powerclean(HangClean) 305

Mind--><--Body

Gains since end of football season:
    weight = 16 lbs
    bench = 40 lbs
    squat = 100 lbs
    powerclean = 50 lbs

^^lost a lot of strength durring football season, the hardest part was getting to where i had already been then numbers just kept going up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

u can do more hang clean than full clean? ur doing something wrong. if u can do more power clean than full clean, ur doing something wrong.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Both lifts are practically similar, if you can hang clean more then you can power clean theres definianately something going on that shouldnt. The only reason to do hangcleans imo is to improve form on the powerclean, we do them in football to get used to dropping low and using more of a frontsquat to get the weight up thus improving your powerclean.

no, if u can powerclean more than any type of clean where u dip lower when u catch it, there is something wrong.

I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

a hang clean is a full clean without the 1st pull.

Your suppose to dip lower when you powerclean, you start with the weight flat on the ground. Thats the only difference between the two

maybe someone should elaberate on the different types of cleans its getting confusing
    age 16
    weight 176
    bench 325
    squat 410

Mind--><--Body

weight = 16 lbs
    bench = 40 lbs
    squat = 100 lbs
    powerclean = 50 lbs

^^lost a lot of strength durring football season, the hardest part was getting to where i had already been then numbers just kept going up.

last post was a little late, my bad
    age 16
    weight 176
    bench 325
    squat 410

Mind--><--Body

weight = 16 lbs
    bench = 40 lbs
    squat = 100 lbs
    powerclean = 50 lbs

is the full clean not one fluid motion from the floor to the catch, and the hang clean is two pulls- one to the hanging postion and the other to the catch?
    age 16
    weight 176
    bench 325
    squat 410

Mind--><--Body

weight = 16 lbs
    bench = 40 lbs
    squat = 100 lbs
    powerclean = 50 lbs

power clean - u do not drop below 1/4 or 1/2 squat (not sure on the exact height).
    hang clean - u pull from the second pull (just above ur knees), and when u drop it down, u bring it to the same spot).
    full clean - all three pulls, full squat, one fluid motion. this should be the heaviest of the three if technique is proper as u drop the lowest to catch, giving u more time, and u pull from the lowest, giving u momentum going into the second pull.

Andrew

:withstupi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Your suppose to dip lower when you powerclean, you start with the weight flat on the ground. Thats the only difference between the two
    gah powerclean you dip less than a full clean
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

ok thank you
    age 16
    weight 176
    bench 325
    squat 410

Mind--><--Body

weight = 16 lbs
    bench = 40 lbs
    squat = 100 lbs
    powerclean = 50 lbs

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    No one has explained this clearly, so I will explain it.

Power Clean - Weight starts on the ground and is caught above parallel

Squat Clean (Also known simply as the "Clean" or "Full Clean") - Weight starts on the ground and is caught below parallel and in the front squat position. This technique allows people to pull about 20% more weight than a Power Clean.

Hang Power Clean - Starts at or slightly above the knees and is caught above parallel.

Hang Squat Clean - Starts at or slightly above the knees and is caught below parallel in the front squat position.

Clean Pull - Starts on the ground and is pulled as high as possible. The weight is not caught and you don't dip down. You simply fully extent and pull the weight as high as possible. Clean pulls are typically done with more weight than a squat clean. Helps the body get used to the weight without risking an injury.

That is pretty much all the cleans for the most part. It is my opinion that if you are using correct form that a Power Clean should be easier than Hang Power Clean. If you can Hang Power Clean more weight than you can Power Clean it means you either have really weak legs, or have craptastic form that will likely cause you injury at some point in the future.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 03-27-2006 at 02:46 PM.

As rare as they are, you left out the split clean.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khari
    As rare as they are, you left out the split clean.
    I consider that crude form and dangorious for all but the most experienced. But you are right, I should have mentioned the split clean.

Footballer
    I hang clean more than I can full clean only because I can dip further in a hang clean.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

There are only two things you have to remember:

Hang = start from mid thigh.
    Power = not a full squat.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Eat and eat and eat and... ThatSkinnyGuy's Avatar
    Figured the best thing to do is offer a visual aid or two. Mmm, hang power cleans. Trap action!

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html
    It turns out the answer to every question is still deadlift and eat.

NITOR PROJECT Guinea Pig Joshua Davis's Avatar
    All cleans are sums of the following movements:
    1. First Pull
    2. Second Pull
    3. Dip
    4. Rack

Even in a hang clean, you are slightly lowering the weight usually to the top or just under the knee to get momentum into your 2nd pull, so you still have a shortened first pull. The dip is the recovery before the rack, in a power clean, you'll dip much less before the rack, which means your 2nd pull will be much longer with farther extension.

The only time you'll truly miss the 1st pull is when you do an accessory movement that I just recently learned called a clean from full extension... basically doing a clean starting up on your toes with a full shrug at the top of the movement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3fqNyMotI

I personally feel that for anyone starting out, hang cleans are excellent because they help prevent the bad habits of just ripping the barbell off the floor. Once you figure out the 1st pull/2nd pull technique, you'll manage much more weight in the lift than just performing one long pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Davis View Post
    The dip is the recovery before the rack, in a power clean, you'll dip much less before the rack, which means your 2nd pull will be much longer with farther extension.
    Ideally, yes, but a lot of athletes never, ever get triple extension.
    The only time you'll truly miss the 1st pull is when you do an accessory movement that I just recently learned called a clean from full extension... basically doing a clean starting up on your toes with a full shrug at the top of the movement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3fqNyMotI
    My father was an OLer and he taught me how to clean this way when I was 14. It worked then even though my OLs are atrocious now. I saw this post on P&B and thought it was great. Nice job.

Boris
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    Clean Pull - Starts on the ground and is pulled as high as possible. The weight is not caught and you don't dip down. You simply fully extent and pull the weight as high as possible.

bumP! cuz i just discovered that I am doing clean pulls.
    Last edited by borracho; 01-29-2007 at 11:01 PM.

NITOR PROJECT Guinea Pig Joshua Davis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    bumP! cuz i just discovered that I am doing clean pulls.

A clean pull is basically a deadlift with a shrug at the top where you explode up at the top of the movement as if you were going to clean the weight. In this video, I do full cleans followed by clean pulls... watch when I get strapped in, those are clean pulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9DPWZTj09Y

These are powercleans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us_HX9SMpgg
    Last edited by Joshua Davis; 01-30-2007 at 12:45 PM.

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by JLGoins41 View Post
    Hang clean and Full clean are two different lifts and my mind. At football we are allowed to max doing a hang clean for our powerclean. I choose to do hang clean because i can do much more weight so therfore, i will look better statistically.

In your opinion what are the pros and cons to each lift?
    sweet lord 100 pounds up on squat since football? thats like 2-3 months... steroids much?
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    No one has explained this clearly, so I will explain it.

That is pretty much all the cleans for the most part. It is my opinion that if you are using correct form that a Power Clean should be easier than Hang Power Clean. If you can Hang Power Clean more weight than you can Power Clean it means you either have really weak legs, or have craptastic form that will likely cause you injury at some point in the future.
    1. Nearly everyone in my weight lifting room chooses the hang power clean over the power clean to max because it is easier.
    2. I squat 335. I don't have overly strong legs nor do I have "really weak legs."
    3. My form is pretty good.

Maybe it has to do with weight. Only one person in my weight lifting room cleans more than 300. But still, I find the hang clean easier than the power clean because the distance/movement is less. (I clean 265)

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by thatasiankid View Post
    1. Nearly everyone in my weight lifting room chooses the hang power clean over the power clean to max because it is easier.
    2. I squat 335. I don't have overly strong legs nor do I have "really weak legs."
    3. My form is pretty good.

Maybe it has to do with weight. Only one person in my weight lifting room cleans more than 300. But still, I find the hang clean easier than the power clean because the distance/movement is less. (I clean 265)
    What I think he meant by weak legs was weak legs in relation to the upper body. How much do you bench and row?
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786