The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Results of 20 rep squat routine.

For anyone interested in trying 20 rep squats...

Here are the results of my 20 rep squat routine that I started about a month ago. Basically I just did the squats and some other 5 x 5 excercises, pull-ups, sitff legged deads, etc. after awhile I started rotating 20 rep squats with 15 rep deads. I had a seperate day for bench, though I injured my elbow so I haven't done that in a few weeks. Here are my results in terms of size:

1 month ago:
    Biceps(flexed): 13 and 3/8
    Chest: 38 and 1/8
    Legs: 21 and 1/2
    Waist: 32 and 3/8
    Weight: 159

Now (about 1 month later):
    Biceps: 13 & 7/8
    Chest: 40.5
    Legs: 23 and 6/8
    Waist: 35 (Woah! I'll blame this on the creatine and meal I just ate.)
    Weight: 171

All taken cold.

in terms of lifts I haven't taken an maxes yet. My squat went from 195 for 20 to 240. Dead is now also at about 240 for 15.

Honestly I think I could have made much better gains if I had paid much more attention to my diet. I got enough protein and food most of the time but eventually I got lazy, and I don't really think I ate enough for a good bulk. I wondering how much of this size/strength gain can be attributed to creatine and water retention, however.

Now I'm changing up my routine for pure strength. I'll post before/after pics if anyone is interested.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This will probably sound like a stupid question, but what is a 20rep squat routine. It seems like alot of people are talking about it lately. And yes, I am just being too lazy to search, so I would appreciate if someone would answer for me.

Is it just a routine in which you do a regular workout (in this case 5X5) and then 20squats ?
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

the 5 x 5 is just filler to work the other muscles. You can basically do whatever you want along with 20 rep squats, work a few other muscle groups. Try and keep the sets low though; usually people err on the side of too many rather than too few.

Do the squats first, you'll need the energy. After whatever warmup you do, load the bar for whatever weight you do for 3 x 10 for squats. Then do 20. Its not easy. When I tried to explain the workout to my other training buddies they thought it was some sort of tonning routine. None of them ever saw me train though.

Its brutal - absolutely brutal. It is literally the hardest training I've ever had to do. I've done some hard stuff too - circtuit training in the weight room during wrestling season, especially while cutting weight and live wrestling before/after isn't easy. But I've never had something like this. I literally collapse after a set, brain spinning and everyone else in the gym straring at that "stupid kid who keep over exherting himself."

Do this, breath enough during the reps, work whatever other muscles you want, and EAT and SLEEP like its going out of style. Add weight to the bar whenever possible.

There was a point where I was adding 10 lbs a workout - and the previous workout was never a picnic either.

Now I'm starting to slow down with the gains so I'm switching it up. I'm thinking I didn't eat enough to REALLY see some gains though, and if I was pushing some bigger weights I'm sure I would have seen some better gains also.

12lbs/month is pretty good outcome, I wouldnt be to dissapointed in that. I used to do 20rep or up to 16 or 17 how far I could make it on box squats. They are really tough, let alone parallel squats that some ppl in the gym dont do, then see you do 20reps sure they'll think your crazy.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    High reps with squats and deads = higher risk for injury, IMO.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Super squats is the book here is the linkhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/092...lance&n=283155
    I have the book and yes it is a very tough work out. I started the work out with 20 reps at 245 and added 5 lbs every workout until I got to 275 for 20. On rep 15 my feet start getting numb and legs are shaking. But what a feeling of accomplishment.

The routine calls for one set of twenty, that's it. Every workout you add five lbs. You strive to do your squats two or three times a week. I was barley doing it twice a week. I gained about 8 lbs doing this routine and it lasted for 6 workouts. I have since switched to heavier sets with far less reps, but I am ready to switch back to the brutal 20 rep program.

The book is cheap and a good read.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That sounds incredibly strenuous. Squats are already energy-consuming as it is.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    That sounds incredibly strenuous. Squats are already energy-consuming as it is.
    yes it is. However the mental edge you get after it is done is great! I mean nothing else seems as difficult as that ass busting, puke inducing, leg shaking, room spinning, gut wrenching squat program. You really feel great once it is over with.

Legs respond well also.

:withstupi

Heavy, deep, high rep squats are great. The circulation it produces is incredible. Even my arms get a pump from doing them.

That's awesome progress... an inch onto most measurements in only a month.

I've had this discussion w. a number of powerlifters. Most agree that high-rep squats are definately not something you'd want to be doing all the time, or even more than occassionally, but have a lot of benefits physically and mentally.

I am certain that advanced/elite powerlifters would probably need to be a lot more cautious about haphazardly introducting them into their training, but most trainees (assuming their squat form is solid to begin with) can do a cycle of high-rep squat training and not lose much limit strength. If there are any losses, regaining it should be quick.

I can't stress enough the importance of maintaining proper form. Yes, it is hard to maintain during a high-rep set - this is part of the challenge AND reward if you can learn to push with proper technique. (At least for me)coming off of high-rep squats usually makes sets of 1-3 seem like gravy, even when it's 100lbs+ more!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

With all this discussion of a 20 rep squat program, check out this video of Tom Platz doing a 20 rep squat with 500lbs!
    http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos...Exhibition.wmv

Dr. Ken's video of his 407x23 reps is impressive too. Especially considering his age and weight. Probably most impressive is the fact that his squats are absolutely rock bottom, narrow stance. Pretty rare. I think I read somewhere he did 255x100 as well. While higher reps make it a challenge to maintain proper form, it is possible, and worth it. And in my opinion, the benefits offset the compression forces put on the spine by low rep work with mind numbing weights.