Thread: Shoulder Trouble

Wannabebig Member

Shoulder Trouble

Hey guys, i just had a quick question. I was do incline dumbbell press today and i got through my first set no problem. However, during my second set after just finishing my 7th rep i was holding it at the top for a few seconds and my shoulder popped out of place. Naturally, i couldn't hold the dumbbell in my hand any longer and i brought it down on my leg. As soon as i brought it down my shoulder popped right back into place. Now my question is, what should i do about this? It's tender but i still have full range of motion, and it's not unbearable pain. It also doesn't seem to be swollen, at least not yet. Should i ice it, put heat on it, or a combination of both? Honestly i dont think it's too serious, but do you think i should go see a doctor? Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Banned
    ice asap, rest, ice asap, rest

repeat

Happened to my gf on barbell pullovers. Iced right away and after three days, she was good to go (ice right away)

ICE!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up putting ice on it anyway yesterday, just to make sure. However, today, shoulder is feeling a lot more tender and definitely pretty tight. Range of motion has been severely limited and i am not able to move it at all in some directions. Should i still continue to ice it? I'm not able to tell if its swollen, honestly, it doesn't look like it is, but i could be wrong.

Kirk, with your girlfriend was it a muscle soreness? or some underlying soreness? because i am not able to tell if it is muscle pain or not.

I plan on letting it rest for a few days and see how it's feeling, hopefully it starts feeling better. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoTShoT_KiD
    I plan on letting it rest for a few days and see how it's feeling, hopefully it starts feeling better. Thanks
    thats what you should do, plus ice.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HoTShoT_KiD
    Kirk, with your girlfriend was it a muscle soreness? or some underlying soreness? because i am not able to tell if it is muscle pain or not.
    Both. She couldn't really pinpoint an exact spot as to where it hurt either, it just hurt. Her muscles did tighten up quite a bit.

But she was a-okay after three days or so. I made her skip two workouts just to be safe (paranoid, take your pick). She wasn't to happy with my ice repeat cycle, though!

Wannabebig Member
    I had a similar situation like yours. About 4 years ago, I was playing basketball in highschool and I dislocated my shoulder, but my reaction was to grab my arm and it went back in by itself. I can tell you that it's not a pain I ever want to experience again. Although after that, I continued to have problems with my shoulder.

Back in November of '05, I was playing football, and had a full anterior dislocation of my right shoulder, which required going to the ER and having it put back into place. I can't really determine if there was a continuing problem from the first time to this time, but I suggest an MRI and Xray. Any injury like that, it can feel like its back into place, but the slighest bit its not in the correct place, will cause future damage.

No surgey required because I was lucky. I took 2 months of physical therapy, and still to this day I have pain lifting. So better safe than sorry, see an orthopedic doctor and make sure everything is right where its supposed to be.

Here's what I did when I hurt my shoulder very badly. I'll outline the plan exactly so that you can follow it and achieve the same results:

(1) Hurt shoulder badly, make sure your first response is some sort of denial -- this is critical!
    (2) Reinjure shoulder following your stiff bout of denialism.

(3) Be incapable of lifting anything more than a midlevel accounting textbook for two weeks. Make sure everyone knows about this.

(4) Try to lift something heavy and reinjure shoulder again. Stop sleeping entirely, unless you have access to tylenol PM and whiskey sours.
    (5) Two and a half weeks after injury, finally begin to regain strength.
    (6) And by "begin to regain strength" I mean you're now weak as hell, can't bench 200 for more than three reps, and losing a pound feels like having lost ten pounds. Stop posting. Return to point (4).

This has worked brilliantly for me. You're in great position to fill MM's WBB shoes.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Here's what I did when I hurt my shoulder very badly. I'll outline the plan exactly so that you can follow it and achieve the same results:

(1) Hurt shoulder badly, make sure your first response is some sort of denial -- this is critical!
    (2) Reinjure shoulder following your stiff bout of denialism.

(3) Be incapable of lifting anything more than a midlevel accounting textbook for two weeks. Make sure everyone knows about this.

(4) Try to lift something heavy and reinjure shoulder again. Stop sleeping entirely, unless you have access to tylenol PM and whiskey sours.
    (5) Two and a half weeks after injury, finally begin to regain strength.
    (6) And by "begin to regain strength" I mean you're now weak as hell, can't bench 200 for more than three reps, and losing a pound feels like having lost ten pounds. Stop posting. Return to point (4).

This has worked brilliantly for me. You're in great position to fill MM's WBB shoes.

funny yet sad at the same time? MM you should know better than this...
    Last edited by Optimum08; 03-27-2006 at 10:53 PM.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Wannabebig Member
    I appreciate all the responses guys. As of now, my should is still experience limited ROM and is a little sore although i think getting slightly better. However, hearing about the problems down the road i think i will go ahead and make an appointment with the doctor. I would rather be safe than sorry.

MM, situation doesn't sound too bad, maybe i should go that route. What size textbook we talking about?

Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep this updated as i go along.

HoTShoT