The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

College-life bulking foods

I'm putting this in general chat since it'll get more traffic, and the answers I need aren't going to be all that complicted. It's more for brainstorming reasons..

I ned help compiling a list of foods for my brother, that he can take back to school with him in order to bulk. He does have an apartment with a full kitchen, but he works on a very limited budget and generally takes the majority of his groceries back to school with him after visits home (he's home now). He couldn't afford to park his car downtown, so his supplemental grocery trips are VERY rare with the exception of what he can pick up at the deli in his apartment building.

He bulked from 135 to 160 in 3 months two summers ago and, being the ectomorph he is, lost it all when he left home for school. He'd like to work on it again. He'll have access to enough equipment to take care of the lifting, but I need help with compiling a list of calorie and protein dense foods for him to take back with him. I'm sure a lot of you guys in college have been in this kind of situation, and can help me put together a good shopping list.

So far, I'm thinking..

A lot of ground beef
    Potatoes
    he buys milk in his building's deli, so it'll be whole from now on
    Peanut Butter

Don't worry about things being overly clean. He's not a very clean eater, and won't work very hard on that as it is. He didn't put on ANY fat on that last bulk. He actually looked leaner than ever when he hit 160, which is insane because he was already under 8%.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm your man.

This is what I eat, sans kitchen:

Natty PB
    2% or Whole Milk
    Frozen Gordon-bleu chicken breasts (the healthier kind)
    A very big staple of my diet: triscuits and cracker-barrel pre-cut cheddar cheese. I probably go through 3 packages of each during a week. Tons of calories there.
    Turkey, avacado, bleu-cheese, bacon wraps/sandwiches (aka, cobb wraps).
    Ice cream.
    I buy and eat many packages (not cans) of plain tuna. Wal-mart sells them for like $.83 each, which is cheap.
    Cottage cheese.
    Coffee.
    Whiskey.
    Beer.

Hope that helps!
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Oh yeah, if I had a kitchen I'd eat so much chicken that I'd probably sprout feathers. A guy that light should do the same thing.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Tell him to house a pizza every night.
    Seriously though, I put on weight much more easily once I got out of school. Then again, when I was in school I didn't really understand the whole "force feeding as a way of life" thing.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Buy nuts in bulk, like lbs and lbs of them. Aside from that I agree with everything said, chicken is awesome as are pizzas on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Sidior; 03-29-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Our dining facilities are buffet style, so I always take extra food out with me over the course of the day. For some reason, I'm not that hungry during the day, so I usually get like 2000 cals from 9am til like 7pm.. then I just stuff in food from 7pm-12am to get up to 4000. I'll second what other people have put. PB is necessary as are giant packages of assorted nuts. I always make huge shakes at night with oats, pb, whey and those really help me boost my cals. In addition, I always have a bunch of whole milk, but a lot of my food includes lunchmeats/sandwhiches that I take with me after I'm done eating a meal.
    Last edited by offhegoes03; 03-29-2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Chicken, Cows, Eggs, and Milk: Eating Big, Lifting Heavy
    My Fitday

Height: 5'8"
    5/07 Weight: 168 lbs, 9% BF using calipers
    Goal: Start lifting again in January and hopefully get rid of this tendinitis.
    "Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy"

Ya know it sounds like your bro and I are almost in the same position (though I can probably gain weight more easily than him). Money is always a bitch for me but I'm trying to PT more to make more money. I don't have a car so I have to borrow my roommates to go to the grocery store. This causes MAJOR problems for me because I can't always have stores of fresh food around, that stuff eventually goes bad and it's a few days before I can go back to get more. Anyway this thread is great and I'll take some of the advice given but here's what I can try to contribute:

1.) Chicken breast (as already said) is a great one although I have no idea how to cook the stuff without it drying out.
    2.) Other types of chicken, ie chicken thighs and drumsticks and all that. Does your bro have access to a BBQ? I have a propane one at my apartment so I am very frequently cooking chicken and beef on the BBQ.
    3.) Ground beef (again, as said) is a very good one especially for meatballs and hamburgers. Again I don't know if he has a grill of some sort but if not he should invest in one, even if it's a foreman).
    4.) Nuts (again, as said) are good but you can eventually get sick of them. Pistachios are a bit more expensive than the others but I think they taste a lot better than other types of nuts and are great for protien and fat.
    Note: I don't know exactly what kind of diet he's going for but I'm going to assume that while he's probably aiming for high fat and protein foods, I'll still throw in some others.
    5.) A good cereal. My favorite is Honey Bunches of Oats since it's got some nuts in it and I'm sure has a good amount of fiber in it. Plus you get to add milk which is always a plus.
    6.) PB&J. Obviously we like peanut butter but in general PB&J sandwhiches are very good as a late-night snack or something to make real quickly.
    7.) Olive Oil. Technically I don't know if it's considered a food but it's always handy to have around.
    8.) Artichokes. I don't know if your bro likes these but I love them. Good for fiber and vitamins I'm sure but otherwise doesn't contribute that much. Dip those leaves in butter and mayo and you're good to go.

That's about all I have to contribute. I know it's sad but honestly those are the foods that have basically made up my entire diet for the last few months. My diet is very poor and I'm pretty sure it's about the only thing holding me back at this point. That and the fact that I drink too much.

Anyway I'm very interested to hear any advice others have to give on this subject. I also have a question: Do you think that if your diet is semi-poor during your years in college that it will have that much of an effect on your health while in college and when done with college? I've always pondered this and have been wondering if I can justify doing a bulk and crappy foods just because it's temporary.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    meat and beer, thats all you need in college
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Patrick my friend

He needs motivation! and then he needs lots of lots of cheap weight gainer proteinpowder and cheap whey proteinpowder

Other than that oatmeal with water is the best choice
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

I wish I knew how to quit yeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww.

Mint
    I can only repeat what's already been posted but most def whole milk and peanut butter.

2 cups of whole milk is 300 cals. He should be able to handle two cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. That's an extra (ad painless - skinny guys will understand) 600 cals a day. Throw in some peanut butter with each serving of milk and you're over a thousand cals.

If he's not worried about clean or healthy than ****, just eat man. Eat anything. Go buy an entenmanns cake and eat it. That's about 2500 cals right there.

Foods high in fat are foods that are calories dense and that's a good thing for skinny guys trying to gain weight. How much of that weight gain is fat depends on how quickly the weight is gained. Bah... you already know this.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Fatrb, how often do you get the car? You can buy enough fresh foods for say 7 days, and freeze the ones for the later days. It'll keep it nice.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Thanks for all the replies so far..some good ideas in here.

Mostly I'm looking for items he can take home with him, that can either stay in the freezer or on the shelf for a long time and are calorie dense. Peanut butter is a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Obviously, the milk he'll have to buy regularaly, but any frozen foods will have to go back on the trip home.

I haven't had the pleasure of a bulk yet, so I'm not exactly in the mindset to come up with high-cal foods.

I will suggest he get lunchmeat, and pile on the mayo and cheese for "snacks". The bread he would be able to take back with him and keep in the freezer.

Anyone got anything else?

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Fatrb, how often do you get the car? You can buy enough fresh foods for say 7 days, and freeze the ones for the later days. It'll keep it nice.
    I can get it once a week or so, assuming my bank account will let me buy some more food. I suppose in general I'm not sure what you can freeze and what you can't. Sure chicken and other meat can be frozen but I don't think many vegetables and fruits can. Of course this is what I'm kinda unsure about, I don't have a good knowledge of how to keep good foods fresh.

BTW milk is a must. Sometimes I'll drink a half gallon a day.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Most vegetables can be frozen. Dunno about fruits, but buy some that are ripe and some that are no where near ripe.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Let him drink a gallon of whole chocolate milk a day and his weight will skyrocket. You can get 3k calories a day just from that, plus it tastes awesome.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

If you freeze most fruit, it tastes like ass when you thaw it out.

Strawberries respond well to freezing, though.

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd

all berries rspond well to freezing, i buy in bulk forzen berries from cost-co
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    meat and beer, thats all you need in college
    this is pretty much what i was thinking.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd

Frozen bananas are a tasty addition to most shakes / smoothies... toss one or two in a blender with whole milk, and other goodies (e.g., natty pb, cottage cheese, whatever).