Thread: Aspirin and Viral Infections

Hybrid View

Aspirin and Viral Infections

My Dr just gave me a bunch of stuff to read up on about viral infections. One thing that is repeated is not to take any aspirin with a viral infection. Why is that so? I have thought about and tried to find the reason and can't come up with anything. So anybody have an idea why?

if i'm not mistaken it's something about epsteine barre virus, and/or chronic fatigue syndrome. can't remember tho. i'll see what i can dig up.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Well heres thedeal, I have a viral infection of some sort, although they don;t know exactly what it is. So far I do have alot of flags that would suggest mono, yet the screen came back negative. They also did a strep screen which was negative. I called today to talk to my Dr but he wasn't in.

bone crusher
    it often takes some time for mono to show up

Well I have been at battle with this since mid November

Kids can get Reye's syndrome. That's why they're supposed to take ibuprophen or acetaminophen instead. I'm not aware of adults not supposed to be taking aspirin when they have a viral infection. I do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi
    Kids can get Reye's syndrome. That's why they're supposed to take ibuprophen or acetaminophen instead. I'm not aware of adults not supposed to be taking aspirin when they have a viral infection.
    Correct, it's ok for adults. Only the pediatric population should stay away from aspirin.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

that's right reyes. not epstein-barre.

ignore my post. i apparently pulled that bit of misinformation out of my a$$. sorry.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Gosh, that sounds painful.

UPDATE:

In May I started to get a flare up of my fab viral friend and went to my Dr once I became super sick and needed a Z-Pak for a sinus infection. Well she put me on antibiotics to get rid of the current infection so my system could start suppressing the virus. As I was leaving her office she went out on a limb and sked me to start taking Allegra-D because she said it might be allergy induced..... TA DA!

I have allergies that kept making me so sick that 3 Dr's all said I had a viral infection. Since starting the Allegra-D in May I haven't been sick once!

there is nothing to my knowledge that says no aspirin for viral infections. Aspirin is often included in cold medicine. If you have Reyes Syndrome then you shouldn't take aspirin. Glad to see it was allergies.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.