The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The Alternative Exercise Thread

This thread is for you all to post the ideas and creations you have come up, using home gym or standard commercial equipment that go against the typical exercises we see day to day in the fitness, bodybuilding, and strength world.

Post pics, descriptions, ideas, theories, etc. relating to contraptions you have made, thought up, wondered about, etc, etc. Draw pictures and scan them if you want.

Please limit this to individual unique exercises and not discussions about particular routines. And limit the arguing and debating if possible. And no listing of exercises that target the upper chest.

I know I have seen some cool stuff over the years so don't be party poopers. Keep this thread going. Maybe even a sticky in the future.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I will go first.

Fattyniebs and I do donkey calf rasies using the following...

1 smith machine
    1 standard bench or 90 degree bench/seat
    1 barbell pad thingy
    some weight

Line up the bench or seat inside the squat rack and stand on it so that only the ball of your foot is supported (in the case of the 90 degree seat, the one we use has a cylindrical support parlell to the groud)

Bend at 90 degree angle allowing the pad on the smith machine bar to rest on the small of your back, or wherever most comfortable/safe.

Unrack bar and keep hands on it in order to execute safely. This sounds dangerous having the bar st on your lower back but it is not bad at all.

Keep legs straight.

Doing this with no shoes on a padded bench is optimal, imo. Using wrestling shoes when the support surface is hard feels great as well.

The weight doesn't need to be too heavy. We have used 160 lbs in the past geting 6-7 reps. (slow, controlled reps)
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 03-29-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Shrugs on the HS Deadlift machine, but that's not so crazy.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Also, you can do shrugs on the Hammer shoulder press machine, just stand on the seat and grab the handles.
    I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darnnit, people like me.

Seated Milies on the Bench Press. Just sit backwards on it, where you normally lay your head and away you go.

Ghetto T-Bars are also a hit: oly bar, a corner to wedge it into and V-handles from the cable stations.

I do all my calf pressing in the leg press machine. I've also used the Smith rack to do supinated, weighted Rows.

...also done all sorts of Westside stuff, which many would find odd, but that's as crazy as I get.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

A glute ham raise in using a powerrack and fitness step/bench is just about the extent of my ghetto gym stuff.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

GHR using a swiss ball and a very weird ab-crunch bench at my gym that has a foot holder. Works like a hot damn.

I do hammer BTN rows one arm at a time, like I'm climbing up a wall. Hits lats way better than both at once.

Self-assisted chins off the Smith machine, using the tips of my toes to self-assist.

Full ROM crunches by wrapping my towel around my gym bag and whatever was inside it, then shoving that under the base of my spine before doing crunches.

Sprint intervals using two treadmills set up side by side, one at 9mph, one at 3.5mph, and jumping from one to the other in 30-second intervals so I don't have to wait for them to speed up and slow down.

Hack squat machine for donkey calf raises.

Calf raises done one leg at a time when I max out the stack.

Uhmmm face pulls on the cable machine thing (for tricep pushdowns cable flys etc). Get a seat and angle it at roughly 70 degrees, put your feet on the frame of the machine itself (like you're doing a leg press), for support. Set up with a rope grip thingy and away you go. I think they're much better than the ones on the seated cable row machine, because you can get the angle just right.
    Lunges with plates, rather than dumbells, in your hands. Good for pinching strength.
    Leaping pull ups switching grips: Start with a neutral grip and pull yourself up with great force, when you get to the top let go and switch to a supinated or pronated grip. Switching between pronated and supinated is the hardest. Don't quite know what this helps with, but it sure is fun, especially when you don't grip in time and fall on your ass. Kind of a plyometric exercise I guess.

Good mornings - nothing special, but I almost never seen anyone at fitness clubs doing them.
    Windmills - To be honest, I've never actually seen anyone besides me do them, except on video or in books.
    Clips: http://media.putfile.com/GMs--Windmills

Squats w. chain - Again, nothing special, but you won't see most people doing them in fitness gyms.
    Lumberjack off of lat pulldown machine - I use a PVC attachment I made
    Clips: http://media.putfile.com/squat-w-chain--chop
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    Wrist curls using a stop bar on a squat rack.

I setup a stepping platform that's used for box squats outside of the squat rack. Setup the stop bar just below shoulder level when I stand on the box.

I take a stretching rope and wrap it tight around the knob on the stop bar. The other end is attached to the 45 plate.

Stand on the box and alternate wrist curl the weight up till it's all the way up. Wanna work my way up to at least 80lb under 5 sec so I can win the Met-Rx challenge at one of the future Arnolds

Makes terrible squeeking noise though. Not that I care that much hehe.
    Last edited by russianwol; 03-30-2006 at 03:25 PM.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    Oh yeah - deadlifting heavy weight with one arm using the device similar to
    http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...ges/1246-f.jpg
    only put together with some short pipes and chain from Home Depot.

Currently - 1-2 sec lift on right arm with 100+pounds (don't know how much the pipes weigh)
    Goal - 200+

I love Built's double treadmill idea. I gotta try that
    Last edited by russianwol; 03-30-2006 at 03:35 PM.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

calf raises on the smith, with a 25 plate under each foot.. I dont know if its something I made up, but I havent heard of it b4
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

These were some back in my powerlifing days....

Zercher squats (hard to describe but basically you hold the bar using the crooks of your elbows)

Kneeling squats - hip flexor strength

Deadstop front or back squats - not too special but you start with the bar in the bottom position

Speed squats or speed bench with rubber bands - not too special but you don't see too many people doing this

Sumo Deads - yes people do deads, but usually standard deads.

And now for some other stuff

pulls - if you want to build some traps...heavy pulls are awesome

Overhead squats - start light, work on flexibility...this ain't just a leg exercise