Thread: Women and training/dieting

Women and training/dieting

Can people please help me make a list of concerns many women have in regards to training and dieting. I am making a section on my personal training site for my female clients. I want to have a lot of relevent information so they don't get confused with anything and are set on the straight path. So far I have come up with.

1) The myth of spot reduction
    2) Fear of bulk
    3) The idea of "toning"
    4) High reps for toning etc....

Any help would be appreciated.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    *waits for Built's advice from the educated female perspective*
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-29-2006 at 07:52 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

from a females perspective diet...many women are hung up on weight (sorry MOST women!) and believe that by starving yourself silly you will lose weight, just an idea

So you think providing an example of a realistic eating plan that would promote healthy weight loss is a good idea? And maybe talk a bit about the detrimental aspects of these crash diets?

So you think providing an example of a realistic eating plan that would promote healthy weight loss is a good idea? And maybe talk a bit about the detrimental aspects of these crash diets?
    I think you just answered your own question.

YES! thats wot women need!

Women need a lot of enlightenment on this matter. The media gives out such horrible advice to women these days. It makes me sick.

Confusing WEIGHT loss with FAT loss.

Girls think that by starving themselves they will lose weight... they do, but they wont necessarily lose fat.

You should explain that they want to be reducing their body fat %, not just losing weight.

Edit: in summary you should show that the number on the scales isn't the most important thing!
    Last edited by Davidelmo; 03-30-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Banned
    On the note of fat loss vs. weight loss, maybe include a description of how to set REALISTIC goals. Include an example calculation of a typical client so that it is clear what you are doing.

PoutineEh
    i think some are afraid of becoming "too muscular" which some think happen over night. i wish that were true...

Weight versus size

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I think the biggest fear is of getting "too big". And the biggest misperception is that cardio doesn't make you hard.

Very few women seem to understand that:
    a) we can't lean out from an all-cardio regime
    b) muscles are not made out of air - you need extra food to grow
    c) there's no such thing as "toning" range
    d) the really BIG chicks not only WANT to be that big, but took drugs to get there (in addition to overeating on purpose and lifting heavy things)
    e) there are a surprising number of men out there who find strength attractive in a woman. I had NO idea until I got strong myself. I was actually afraid it was going to be a detriment.

In addition to my earlier post... people (but especially women ) should learn that things take TIME.

When I was giving a few girls advice on how to "tone up" (hehe) their first questions were "how long to lose xxx lbs?"

When I said 1lb a week was a good target they looked at my like I was crazy. They were only slightly convinced when I said it was TRUE weight loss and that 1lb of fat a week is pretty damned good.
    I said that crash diet might make you shed 10lbs but it's all water weight and LBM and it usually reverts the second you start eating normally.

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    Explain to them what metabolism is and why crash dieting is not a good idea.