The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Best routine for cutting...

I'm about to embark on my cut to 180-185lbs and I'm trying to figure out the best routine for maintaining mass and adding strength. I figured a variation of Bill Starr's 5x5 would be optimal, tell me what you guys think:

Day 1 - (heavy) squat 5x5, decline bench press 5x5, bent over rows 5x5

Day 2 - (light) deadlift 5x5, pullups 5x5, military press 5x5

Day 3 - (medium) squat 5x5, bent over rows 5x5, decline press 5x5

Day 4 - (medium) deadlift 5x5, pullups 5x5, incline db press 5x5

1-2 days of rest between workouts

For the heavy squats I'll be working up to a heavy set close to my 5 rep max. For medium squats I'll pick a lighter weight and do 5x5 with it, nothing too close to failure. Deadlifts will definately be submaximal, but I still plan to increase 5lbs a week on them if possible. If needed, I'll do supplemental work after the main workouts or on off days. I'll also be playing basketball/football/raquetball/soccer some days, probably nothing too intense.

Should I alternate between picking a weight and doing 5x5 with it and working up to around a 5 rep max every other workout with the other exercises?
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 03-30-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I figure whichever methods helped you pack on the most muscle are the best methods to help maintain it when cutting. Unless you're doing something like UD 2.0
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

That actually looks pretty good - short sets, low-ish volume, varying intensity.

I'll be interested to see how that works for you.

that routine looks good. as far weight goes, i've done both. Im starting to like grabbing a certain weight and lifting it for 5 sets, for however reps I can do.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Cool, I'll get started on it ASAP. Can anyone think of a better way to vary the intensity, or any other changes you think would be beneficial? If not, I'll just leave it as it is.

you could add in an arms day

(complete joke) looks good i would try it and then make changes.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    I'm about to embark on my cut to 180-185lbs and I'm trying to figure out the best routine for maintaining mass and adding strength. I figured a variation of Bill Starr's 5x5 would be optimal, tell me what you guys think:

Day 1 - (heavy) squat 5x5, decline bench press 5x5, bent over rows 5x5

Day 2 - (light) deadlift 5x5, pullups 5x5, military press 5x5

Day 3 - (medium) squat 5x5, bent over rows 5x5, decline press 5x5

Day 4 - (medium) deadlift 5x5, pullups 5x5, incline db press 5x5

1-2 days of rest between workouts

For the heavy squats I'll be working up to a heavy set close to my 5 rep max. For medium squats I'll pick a lighter weight and do 5x5 with it, nothing too close to failure. Deadlifts will definately be submaximal, but I still plan to increase 5lbs a week on them if possible. If needed, I'll do supplemental work after the main workouts or on off days. I'll also be playing basketball/football/raquetball/soccer some days, probably nothing too intense.

Should I alternate between picking a weight and doing 5x5 with it and working up to around a 5 rep max every other workout with the other exercises?
    This looks like a great idea, I was considering a 5X5 routine myself and I believe you have helped me a lot!! Thanks!

And I will dare to ask the serious question: Why no arms in the routine?
    Last edited by John04Civic; 03-30-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

Quote Originally Posted by 1997T-Bird
    This looks like a great idea, I was considering a 5X5 routine myself and I believe you have helped me a lot!! Thanks!

And I will dare to ask the serious question: Why no arms in the routine?
    Glad to hear I helped! My arms grow like weeds from nothing but compounds, so there's no need to add extra work for them. If you do need some, you could do it after the main workouts as supplemental work.

Wannabebig Member
    why not do weighted dips instead of decline bench?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

the litvinov looks awesome, and i can see where they are coming from when they say it might seem too easy, i might have to try this sometime if i can muster enough energy to bring all the weights i need outside.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto