Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is bench press still the best option for chest growth even without a spotter?

Wannabebig Member SmellyHairBeef's Avatar
    Just do some weighted Dips if you can't get a spot on the bench. I've made them my main chest excersise and they are working great so far!!

Hi, i'm new by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrs
    Yes. The 5x5 routine is primarily a strength program however you will get some size from it. The idea is to get stronger so you are able to do those high reps workouts, but with bigger weights. I was doing 275 about 6 months ago for a set of 6 (6RM) Now after working the 5x5 program I am able to use 275 for sets of 8 to 10. The higher rep workouts will yeild greater gains in mass, but that only gets you so far. With the mass you need strength. That is why you see some people that are pretty big but not as strong as they look. On the flip side, you will see someone that is smaller and strong as an ox! You have to make those newly big muscles contract harder and stronger. How do you do that? By training heavy.

It is a continuous cycle, from strength to mass, strength to mass, and on and on. That is why I do those two programs mainly. 5x5 for strength, and German Volume Training for hypertrophy. The GVT allows me to use the lighter weights. (I don't mean Barbie type light either) More like 70% 1RM.

Keep this in mind also. Your (or any) workout program is going to effective only as long as it takes your body to adapt to it. When that happens it is time to change it up. Roughly 6 workouts.
    Hmm...im not sure if what your suggesting will either work in general, or just for me. Ive done straight sets b4 but the 5x5 program you did increase your reps by 2-4 in 6 months. The way I train my chest im able to increase alot more than 2-4 reps in 6 months. But then again, ive never stuck with a program like that for that amount of time so until I try it, I guess I will never know. In a way though im scared to try it out because I dont want to waste my time after a 6 month period.
    And yes, after 3 months I switch up my training program so my body never really adapts to any routine I give it.

i do what the at large bulking article says... high intensity lower volume. last few reps are forced usually on bench (2x5 on monday 2x8 on thurs) i have been making amazing gains too...
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Hmm...im not sure if what your suggesting will either work in general, or just for me. Ive done straight sets b4 but the 5x5 program you did increase your reps by 2-4 in 6 months. The way I train my chest im able to increase alot more than 2-4 reps in 6 months. But then again, ive never stuck with a program like that for that amount of time so until I try it, I guess I will never know. In a way though im scared to try it out because I dont want to waste my time after a 6 month period.
    And yes, after 3 months I switch up my training program so my body never really adapts to any routine I give it.
    When I mentioned 6 months, I was using that as a ballpark figure. I can now use 275 for about 6 sets of 8, where as before I was only able to use that weight for maybe one set of 6. There is a big difference. I did not stay on the 5x5 for six months either. I cycle it with other higher rep routines like the GVT. Also when you progress your 70% 1RM is alot heavier than a novice lifter. Meaning that a novice can do alot more reps with his 70%1RM than I can with mine. For me 275 is now about my 70% 1RM.

If you look at the training log of the 5x5 that I posted above you will also notice that I increased my reps about 2 or 3 every workout. That is alot more than 6 months. That is great progress.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Quote Originally Posted by hoser813
    i find it best to ask for a spot before the set, rather than look like an ass yelling for a spot while the weight is crushing your trachea... but thats just me.
    Proper form would have the bar near you chest, not your throat.

When I mentioned 6 months, I was using that as a ballpark figure. I can now use 275 for about 6 sets of 8, where as before I was only able to use that weight for maybe one set of 6. There is a big difference. I did not stay on the 5x5 for six months either. I cycle it with other higher rep routines like the GVT. Also when you progress your 70% 1RM is alot heavier than a novice lifter. Meaning that a novice can do alot more reps with his 70%1RM than I can with mine. For me 275 is now about my 70% 1RM.

If you look at the training log of the 5x5 that I posted above you will also notice that I increased my reps about 2 or 3 every workout. That is alot more than 6 months. That is great progress.
    I feel like I should really consider doing this for 6 months and see if I can progress with it. Im sure I can, but I wonder by how much. How often did you switch up the 5x5 and GVT routines in the 6 month period?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I feel like I should really consider doing this for 6 months and see if I can progress with it. Im sure I can, but I wonder by how much. How often did you switch up the 5x5 and GVT routines in the 6 month period?
    Start out with a couple warm ups and then go into the routine. Use your 7 rep max as a starting weight for this routine. Re-read the program outline that I posted earlier and use that to the T. You are not supposed to get all 5 repetitions on all 5 sets. However you do need a total of 14 good reps for the the workout to be most effective. The next time you do your chest workout you should see an increase in reps like I did. Keep using the same weight until you get all 5x5 (about a month of workouts) After you conquer the weight you use for this routine, you can do it again by adding ten pounds to the bar. However you may not see the same type of progress. If so then no worry, just switch to some other higher rep routine and challenge yourself. Dumbbells are also an option to get your chest growing again.

Edit:
    There are many variations of the 5x5 program out there, however this is the origional outline and I feel the most effective.
    Last edited by kingkrs; 04-02-2006 at 06:18 PM.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Best thing I ever did for my chest was integrating (and then changing to) dumbells.

Dips are also amazing.

Start out with a couple warm ups and then go into the routine. Use your 7 rep max as a starting weight for this routine. Re-read the program outline that I posted earlier and use that to the T. You are not supposed to get all 5 repetitions on all 5 sets. However you do need a total of 14 good reps for the the workout to be most effective. The next time you do your chest workout you should see an increase in reps like I did. Keep using the same weight until you get all 5x5 (about a month of workouts) After you conquer the weight you use for this routine, you can do it again by adding ten pounds to the bar. However you may not see the same type of progress. If so then no worry, just switch to some other higher rep routine and challenge yourself. Dumbbells are also an option to get your chest growing again.

Edit:
    There are many variations of the 5x5 program out there, however this is the origional outline and I feel the most effective.
    Thanks for the help bro. Keep lifting hard and smart!