Thread: sales tactics

sales tactics

for those that work in sales or have a good head for sales I wanted to run by you my current process of attmpeting to get new work to see if you have any ideas on what I might add or stop doing.

As most know my businesse's services include:

CONSULTANCY
    MARKETING & BRANDING
    GRAPHIC DESIGN
    MULTIMEDIA/ PRESENTATIONS
    WEB DESIGN
    PROGRAMMING/ WEB APPLICATIONS
    E - COMMERCE
    ONLINE MARKETING
    HOSTING

Last year I kinda shyed away from being proactive as I guess I was scared of rejection as lets face it 90% of the people you are going to speak to really do not want to speak to you. a few are pretty blunt too.

Anyway this year I am not going to shy away in fact I cannot afford to. We need to bring in the revenue.

In the past I have been sending out letters and then following up with a phone call, enquiring about their non web presence and then simply introducing my company and asking if they are looking to migrate to the web in the near future..

Any ideas on how to improve my letter or sales tactics?

Dear Sir/Madam

Many new businesses are experiencing a new rate of growth as a direct result of having an effective Internet presence.

I have noticed that XXXX does not currently have a web site. Have you considered the opportunities that you are missing by not having a website?

Hopefully now you are thinking, “What can the Internet do for a businesses like mine?”

•Open your business to a wider audience
    •Make it easier for people to find out what you are offering
    •Conveys the image of your business
    •Increase Sales/Profit
    •Provides up to date information on your products and services
    •Cuts down on mailing literature to customers
    •Saves time answering queries by phone or letter

So what’s the first step?

I will call you on (day, time) to discuss this further with the intention of arranging a meeting with yourself to identify in more detail what we can do for you. If this is not convenient or you have any questions at all then please contact me on the above number or at any time on mobile number.

I have also included some more information on our services for you to look through in the meantime.

Yours Sincerely

Daniel Clough

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

are you aiming at any certain area of business, or just anyone without an 'internet presence'?

for the time being local businesses probably with a 60 mile radius.

preferably yes, with no internet presence.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

would something more personal (i know its a business letter, but if they are local or small, they might appreciate something a little different) work? it looks good from where i am, the whole benefits of the internet is a good idea, would any of teh points be able to be tweaked to appear more relevant to each particular business, throw in an example or something? im not exactly the business guru, just bouncing some ideas.

I like that idea McBain. Do a little research on each company and find out a little bit about them. Throw in some references to the types of things the company does; it'll impress them even more.

Basics are good...one suggestion I may make is to include a case study of a local business that you have consulted for and go through the process, showing actual cost savings. Of course you don't need to go into huge detail but if they are educated on the process a bit and realize how the web can improve their business specifically then it may become more relevant. Also maybe touch on supply chain management and business-to-business e-commerce and how it can save them money. ie. you could go through a manual sales process and show the total cost and then a web sale and how much less it costs...not to mention overall increased exposure to their business...

Oh, one other thing...this will all be pretty dry material so start off with something a little more catchy than:

Dear Sir/Madam

Many new businesses are experiencing a new rate of growth as a direct result of having an effective Internet presence.

Perhaps start it with a theme of Holy Sh!t I can't believe you aren't on the web. Good luck facing the competition. Read on to find out what you are missing.

Not quite that "in-the-face" but I think you get the idea...

I will invoice you my consulting fee later this week.

Thank you for doing business with ElPietro Marketing.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by syntekz
    I like that idea McBain. Do a little research on each company and find out a little bit about them. Throw in some references to the types of things the company does; it'll impress them even more.
    It's a great idea but impracticle. Don't waste time on tailoring direct mail. That's what proposals are for once they've responded. If you are going to have approximately a 2-5% response rate you don't want to waste time at this juncture when 95% of your mailer file will not respond.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

yeah I kinda agree there.. I never realised how time consuming actually sending direct mail is. And thats not even being personal.

The one thing I may change is before hand just ring and get the relevant persons name to send to so at least it is personally addressed and ends up with the right person.

I like some of your ideas El Pietro. I used to send like a 3 -4 page thing with all of our services and decided to cut it down to just one page you see right now.

"I have also included some more information on our services for you to look through in the meantime. "

i don't do this for all the potentials just the bigger ones and with that is a 8 page document with our services, history and 4 client mini case studies. Although they are not really case studies just more a portfolio so it might be best to make a small case study of our most impressed customer.

My partner is redoing our site currently including case studies so i can use the info from that.

now I see that first line, I too think its a bit dry. Have to come up with something that will make more of an impact.

thanks for the ideas. cheques in the post
    Last edited by Joe Black; 01-16-2002 at 07:10 AM.

ok I think al the people I will send letters to first off will now get the following.

3 pages:

1st page = covering letter as above but with some of your suggestions in.

2nd page = a overview of our services.

3rd page = 2 x client case studies.

then if once I have rang them to follow up they request more info then I can send them the 8 page thing that explains our services in more depth, and the try and arrange a meeting.

What ya think?

nice one

Oh also, you could have a response reward.

"Call in and ask how we can help you, and get this free <insert cheap gift here>."

That's how most direct mail is done, but I don't know what kind of budget you have. All of the direct mail campaigns I work on are at least $75-100k.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Even something as a free bussiness assessment or proposal would work. It doesn't cost money, just time.

i like that idea as well, free consultation or something

3 words: Sandler Sales institute, use that and you can sell anything to anyone
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Might I suggestjust not worrying about the letter at all.

I think that the letter isn't going to change a persons mind about using your services no matter how convincing an argument you feel that you can put together.

dont bother - just call them, your letter will only end up in the bin, trust me.

THE SALE IS DONE ON THE PHONE OR IN PERSON.

Marketing/Lead Generation and Sales are separate entities.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Don't forget about the letter. I think it's a very important part of the sale. A lot of people are 'visual' people. They like to look at things and see what they might be getting into it.

A letter, containing your business card, a nice letterhead, and maybe a small case study, will attract people. It will impress them and get them thinking about what sort of things they might want before you call them.

I think just calling without sending a letter will catch people off guard and they might not have any idea what they want.

And another thing, people hate telemarketers. At least in Indiana we do.

If someone calls trying to sell me something I normally hang up on them. By sending a letter, the person is going to expect the call.