Thread: Training to become a fireman?

Wannabebig Member

Training to become a fireman?

I'm seriously considering becoming a fireman. I've only done some mild research on it. Of course my biggest concern is fitness. Does anyone know of any training exercises to focus on? From what I've read they focus a lot on leg strength and lung capacity. I was thinking of doing some general weight lifting with an emphasis on lifts like the clean and jerk and I'm planning on doing some stadium running with a weighted vest.

Any advice?

Do a search on "general physical preparedness" or "crossfit" ...
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Cleans are great and the stadium running sounds good as well. Maybe do some walking BB lunges while you are there, that will build some strength, balance and endurance.

I think you could could make some positive strides if you made some sandbags and did some exercises with them: throw 100lb worth of sandbags over your shoulder and walk with them, throw some on a sled and drag them, etc. I think these will relate more to fire fighting; think carrying a body out of a building.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Find out what the firefighters test entails and train for it specifically.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Do more than mild research on it. Especially find out if you will be able to get a job at all. My brother was on a waiting list for YEARS and a lot of his buddies are still on that list hoping for a job someday. He finally just gave up waiting. While his wife decided to give it a go and is guaranteed a job before she even finishes firefighter school. Do some research, a white male just can't get on with the firefighters in some areas.

And find out exactly what the test is. Locally it's things like 200lbs body drags, time on a stair climber with 50lbs on your back, jogging with 50lbs vest, dragging hoses etc.