The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Power clean and Full Clean

I have heard that doing a full clean, with proper form, will increase my power clean max (even though I would essentially be doing a different lift). Also I was wondering if the full clean would be more beneficial for sports than a power clean. Are either of these statements true?

If they are, would it be worth it to learn the form for a full clean to increase my max and to train for wrestling?

Lastly, even if neither of those statements are true, it would still be cool to learn to full clean; No one does power cleans where I train, and full cleans would give the "toners" in my gym cringes. That being said, are there some good websites where I can learn the form, or am I going to have to get a coach?
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy
    I have heard that doing a full clean, with proper form, will increase my power clean max (even though I would essentially be doing a different lift). Also I was wondering if the full clean would be more beneficial for sports than a power clean. Are either of these statements true?

If they are, would it be worth it to learn the form for a full clean to increase my max and to train for wrestling?

Lastly, even if neither of those statements are true, it would still be cool to learn to full clean; No one does power cleans where I train, and full cleans would give the "toners" in my gym cringes. That being said, are there some good websites where I can learn the form, or am I going to have to get a coach?
    Possible to do without a coach, but not wise. You will also have to have bumper plates, as dropping the weight isn't healthy for the weights.

I would stick with power cleans.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy

I suppose I better answer your questions, though, I don't feel like it.

Your first question is true, it will cary over to the power clean. I have never heard of anyone doing it for that specific purpose. You would gain more to your Power Clean by simply just doing them than doing Full Cleans and hoping for great carry over.

Your second question is possibly... For the most part, the answer is no. But with a little bit of "yes" in there depending on the sport.

Your third question rests upon the answer to your section question. Therefore, for the most part, no, do not learn this move unless you are looking to be a Olympic Lifter - Competitively.

If those statements were both true or both false, or anything in between, the answer would still be YES! They are fun lifts, but again, if you do not have bumper plates and coaching, I'd say you would be a fool to do them. If have both of those resources, you'd be a fool not too learn them at the very least.

I do have bumper plates.

If your goal is to overload the pull with heavier weights than you can powerclean, do clean pulls. I agree that learning the squat clean isn't worthwhile for many other athletes who don't compete in weightlifting.

Just a quick question. It's somewhat off topic, sorry, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Does anyone know the adress of the site that has the videos of some old coach guy teaching the olympic lifts and other movements, and he's holding a ruler I think.

Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123
    Just a quick question. It's somewhat off topic, sorry, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Does anyone know the adress of the site that has the videos of some old coach guy teaching the olympic lifts and other movements, and he's holding a ruler I think.
    i think ur thinking of www.hatchdome.com but it doesn't seem to be up anymore and just redirects u to www.gaylehatch.com, so i dunno it that helps ya at all.
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher