The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Study: Prayer doesn't affect heart patients?

"Prayer not helpful"?

Clearly the study showed that prayer was actually quite significantly harmful, as in 7% harmful! I guess it was worth the money to study after all!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/03/30....ap/index.html

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That is the stupidest test ever conducted.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I knew there would be no difference in the unaware groups, but never in a thousand years did I think that prayer does more harm than good...

I guess the knowledge of all those strangers praying for them was so unsettling that they could not rest. I'm pretty sure 7% difference is a significant percentage in that sample size. Wish I could remember the statistics behind it all...

LOL, I'm going to demand that all public worship be outlawed, so that I won't be exposed to deadly second-hand prayer.

LMAO @ second-hand prayer.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    LOL, this test is hilarious! Who are the people who think up this stuff? Who gave money to fund such an idiotic thing?

John Templeton.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Waste of money on the research. Shows nothing but how people could be psychologically affected.
    Last edited by SilverYello; 03-31-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Current Status: Now Attempting (any food visible) Bulk
    November 05: 198 lbs -- 23% bf
    February 06: 181lbs -- 14% bf
    Currently: 185 lbs -- 17% bf (took the summer off- but back at work)

Well on average I would think those in trouble and stressed out would do more praying than those who are mentally and physically healthy. Makes sense to me.

I wouldn't call it a stupid study, in fact I'm not sure that there's such thing as a stupid study.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund
    LOL, I'm going to demand that all public worship be outlawed, so that I won't be exposed to deadly second-hand prayer.
    Casey, I'm with you on that one. That must be the reason I'm still 190 and weak as hell.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

well, I think its a fascinating study. I would call it quite significant.

Our psychotic president thinks he's on a calling from God. Hopefully all the strangers praying for him won't make it 7% more likely that we'll all get killed by the people on the other side of the world who also want to kill in God's name.

Even taking God completely out of it, it hints at the powerful connection between our minds and bodies. Psychology is an important and real science, no matter how uncomfortable a person might be looking inward.
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 03-31-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Psychology is an important and real science, no matter how uncomfortable a person might be looking inward.
    So true. I should have started 28 years ago, I know I'd be better off now.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    LOL I read about this yesterday. Absolutely moronic waste of money.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    LOL This is priceless!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Yeah let me guess now some extreme religious people are going to come in and tell us that even though it's not healthy for the body that it's healthy for your soul and thus we won't be cast down to the fiery depths of hell.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

PS if you want to try to kill someone I guess praying for them is the thing to do LOL

"We'll be praying for you little Johnny"

"Uh no that's okay I'd rather you please not"
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Yeah let me guess now some extreme religious people are going to come in and tell us that even though it's not healthy for the body that it's healthy for your soul and thus we won't be cast down to the fiery depths of hell.
    I am extremely religious... Yet, I think this was stupid. Let me break down why the study is stupid to me.

1) Because it just is.

2) If we want to break it down, we'd have to know what God was being prayed too. If God A is real, but God B is not, then, the people who prayed to God B would have no affect... If God A is evil and mean, he could have contributed to that 7%... There are so many variables no matter what religion you are... So, the study is flawed in the first place. Then, if we did pray to the same God, does that mean each prayer is answered in the way the prayee wanted it? If indeed God is, isn't he the one making the decisions, not us? Therefore, what good would a petition (prayer) to God do if it wasn't his idea to cure the person? So this study rests on the idea that God is a magic genie, waiting to do whatever you command of him... Again, the whole study is flawed in every way, nor could a matter of faith like this ever prove the existance of God or the lack there of...

3) Did I mention the study is stupid?

However, I do agree that one thing we can derive out of the study is that our mind affects much of our reality. What we believe about ourselves can impact us more than we think.

4) There ARE stupid studies... Does taking a poop three times a day make you at risk for colon cancer at an earlier age? I bet money is going to fund something stupid like that.

LOL, for someone with such a strong opinion, you would think you would have at least read the article...

1st of all you, missed the point of the article entirely. No association between prayer and recovery time exists, unless the patient is AWARE he is being payed for, only then is prayer (by strangers) dangerous.

Secondly:
    ... Dr. Herbert Benson of Harvard Medical School and other scientists tested the effect of having three Christian groups pray for particular patients, starting the night before surgery and continuing for two weeks. The volunteers prayed for "a successful surgery with a quick, healthy recovery and no complications" for specific patients, for whom they were given the first name and first initial of the last name..."
    Now unless Christians have diversified their diety portfolio, I don't think there's a question as to which God was being prayed to. Lets hope you pay more attention when you're reading your bible.

And Finally:
    Just a hint for future discusions on scientific and/or statistical debate, "Because its stupid" is generally not an accepted proof.
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 03-31-2006 at 04:19 PM.

LOL, for someone with such a strong opinion, you would think you would have at least read the article...

"... Dr. Herbert Benson of Harvard Medical School and other scientists tested the effect of having three Christian groups pray for particular patients, starting the night before surgery and continuing for two weeks. The volunteers prayed for "a successful surgery with a quick, healthy recovery and no complications" for specific patients, for whom they were given the first name and first initial of the last name..."

Lets hope you pay more attention when you're reading your bible.
    True, I just glossed over the article. But that still doesn't take away the validity of the test. So, now we have to assume the following A) That God is real, B) That God is listening to the people praying, C) That God is in good standing with those praying to him, D) That God doesn't have other plans... Etc... Too many variables.

and for the record, if holding it and only pooping once per day would significantly reduce my chances of colon cancer, I would be very happy to know that information. The only way to know it with certainty is to do a study.

and for the record, if holding it and only pooping once per day would significantly reduce my chances of colon cancer, I would be very happy to know that information. The only way to know it with certainty is to do a study.
    You do that... You do that...

In other news, humans breathe oxygen.

I haven't read the article but wouldn't it make sense that the people being prayed for are in bad health anyways... after all that's why people pray for you, isn't it? People with extremely bad conditions are more likely to be prayed for than Johnny with his high cholesterol or whatever.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

It would help to read the article fatrb. Its short.

All of the people were being prayed for by strangers. All the strangers knew was the sick person's first name and last initial. The only difference was that some sick people KNEW they were being prayed for and some sick people knew they MIGHT be prayed for. Everyone was sick.
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 03-31-2006 at 04:49 PM.

Maybe the people who knew they were being prayed for were more reckless because they erroneously thought God was protecting them.

You know... God helps those who help themselves or something. (which is just another way of saying "We make our own miracles")
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 03-31-2006 at 04:53 PM.