The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Hack Squats vs Lunges

In WBB the legs day calls for hack squats. I never feel that I get anythign out of them even though I put plenty of weight on it. Are lunges better than the hack squat? they seem like they would work out the same parts
    I want to be a gladiator on Spartacus. Or at least be on the same cycle as them.

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Yeah, hack squats and lunges work the same parts of the legs. I personally prefer hack squats, but I would think lunges are just as effective.

If you're not getting much of a workout from the hack squats, put more weight on! The only limiting factor is your grip strength. If you can't actually hold enough weight, then I would suggest either getting straps or doing barbell lunges.

On a side note, check www.exrx.net for information about different excercises.

Quote Originally Posted by NormalDude
    In WBB the legs day calls for hack squats. I never feel that I get anythign out of them even though I put plenty of weight on it. Are lunges better than the hack squat? they seem like they would work out the same parts
    Are you using a machine, or are you actually doing a real hack squat (bar behind you, deadlifting it up?
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Lunges get me more then hack squats. I think this is because there are more stabilzers/balancing involved
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman15
    Are you using a machine, or are you actually doing a real hack squat (bar behind you, deadlifting it up?

Sorry I am using the machine for them.
    I want to be a gladiator on Spartacus. Or at least be on the same cycle as them.

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16

Sorry I am using the machine for them.
    Trying doing a freeweight hack squat, you'll feel it a lot more.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman15
    Trying doing a freeweight hack squat, you'll feel it a lot more.

Those look like they would do alot more but I am still kinda scared to do too many exercises like that. I will do normal squats and then deads. I am worried about hurting my lower back. I have to do really light weight on DL's because I dont wanna get jacked up again. I am nottrying to jack my own thread but I am sure I am not doing the DL;s right

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16

Banned
    What makes you think you aren't doing deadlifts right? If you are having muscular back pain (ie the muscles around your spine) thats ok since thats what you are working. On the other hand, pain in the spine itself = BAD! It might be hard to differentiate the two at first, but try and make sure you do.

I think you mean stress in the muscles. Pain is never good. You should feel that you have a nice, warm wrap on you lower back when you have done deadlifts properly. This is how a lifter who I learned it from described it to me, and it's how I feel when I finish mine. I also stand much taller and proper once I'm done.
    Last edited by betastas; 04-05-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    What makes you think you aren't doing deadlifts right? If you are having muscular back pain (ie the muscles around your spine) thats ok since thats what you are working. On the other hand, pain in the spine itself = BAD! It might be hard to differentiate the two at first, but try and make sure you do.

I just feel akward when I do them. I never used to do them before so I am thinking I just need to get used to them. I try to keep my back straight and my shoulders back oh and bbutt down. But with the low weight that I do ( 90 pounds ) I feel like i am not doing anything but I am worried if I up the weight my form will suffer and I will hurt my lower back again

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16

Banned
    I just feel akward when I do them. I never used to do them before so I am thinking I just need to get used to them. I try to keep my back straight and my shoulders back oh and bbutt down. But with the low weight that I do ( 90 pounds ) I feel like i am not doing anything but I am worried if I up the weight my form will suffer and I will hurt my lower back again
    Just like any other excercise, slowly add weight. A lot of people have a (reasonable) fear of hurting themselves with deadlifts. There are a few ways to make sure your form is correct:
    a) SPOTTER <- best way

b) mirror <- next best thing

c) when you lift, make so that you are *almost* hyperextending your back. Or think of it as sticking your chest out really far.

d) When you lift, look straight up at the ceiling. I personally don't like this, but does help keep your back straight.

You should also be gaining lower back strength from squats and SLDLs.

i didnt know you could do a hack squat without a machine.. i have no idea how to do it
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

once a marine always a marine

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crunkdizzle
    i didnt know you could do a hack squat without a machine.. i have no idea how to do it
    You hold the bar behind you.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    You hold the bar behind you.

then wouldnt that just be a regular squat?
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

then wouldnt that just be a regular squat?
    The bar is on the ground, like a deadlift with the bar behind your legs instead of in front.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Here ya go:

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Yeah, the machine hack squats are garbage, they don't do anything for me either. On the other hand, real hack squats KILL, just like anything else, start off real light until you get the form down. Hack squats can hurt you if you don't do them right.

thats awesome. i cant believe i never even heard of that. im gonna start doin em tomarrow!
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8