The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Finally got the right triceps workout...Daddy hurts!!!!!!

GOOD GOD!!
    The one thing I can say with any certainty about weightlifting bodybuilding etc. is that it takes years to find out what works for you specifically...sure, there are some basics but everybody is so different what works for one may not work for another...After years of trying to find something that would work for my arms , I finally found that for me close grip bench elbows at sides hurts like hell and am actually making progress..together with chin ups it is the ONLY thing making my arms grow..throw in a few close grip bench and the odd dips & PUSH UPS..man....My arms are gettin there[six months ago 12.5 this morning 13.5 right, 13.25 left...]
    I'd like to know everyone elses experiences..did a lot of you try things that worked for others and it had absolutely no effect?[for me any kind of curls and tricep press downs even with increased weight-sweet F.A.]..
    even though I can barely type right now, I'm happy...feel like growin!
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Glad you got a good workout, but if your arms are 13 inches you shouldn't be doing ANY direct bicep or tricep work. You need the basics man, rows, bench presses, overhead presses, pullups, squats, deadlifts... when you've made ALOT of progress on those, your arms will be alot bigger and maybe you could consider adding direct arm work in then...
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 04-08-2006 at 03:46 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Banned
    Not always. Direct arm work can drastically help someone's arm size. I agree with you about the big 3 though. Definitly a must over arms. But I have to disagree with saying NO direct arm work. My arms wouldn't get nearly enough work had I just used them in my presses and such.

Mine wouldn't have either, especially at the beginning. I do less direct arm work now that my heavy compounds have gone up. But in the beginning, I think it really helped me a lot.

Yeah, sorry MeatHead, I found some direct arm work useful too.

Only a little bit though- I add a couple sets of curls after deadlifts, pullups and barbell rows.

i find direct arm work helps me, although i dont really need it, as doing chin's and pull ups rele help my arms greatly.
    weighted chins are way better than standing bicep curls IMHO
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 04-08-2006 at 03:59 PM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Thanks for responses..
    My main workout is only the big 3[squats,deads,bench] and pull ups,chin ups,overhead presses,rows...the only direct arm work I do is the closer to narrow grip bench presses... I change it up once in a while and substitute dips and some times only a bodyweight workout heavy on push ups and handstand push ups... also yoga once a week.......
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Yeah, sorry MeatHead, I found some direct arm work useful too.

Only a little bit though- I add a couple sets of curls after deadlifts, pullups and barbell rows.
    agreed,i think i hit my bi's and tri's once a week or every 2 weeks
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by vanfreak
    Thanks for responses..
    My main workout is only the big 3[squats,deads,bench] and pull ups,chin ups,overhead presses,rows...the only direct arm work I do is the closer to narrow grip bench presses... I change it up once in a while and substitute dips and some times only a bodyweight workout heavy on push ups and handstand push ups... also yoga once a week.......
    Sounds good, nothing wrong with that.

I realize direct arm work has its place, but not without a base of strength and size. A lifter with 13 inch arms doesn't need to worry about them. After they get around 15-16 from compounds, its a different story. That's just my take... but of course a couple sets isn't gonna hurt anything.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Wannabebig Member
    my arms are around 17 18 inches

should I do alot of direct arm work to get even bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave117
    my arms are around 17 18 inches

should I do alot of direct arm work to get even bigger?
    if you want to get even bigger, then yes my friend . Aswell as the standard 3 musts. Sqaut Dead bench
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14