Thread: Cut scare

Banned

Cut scare

on the 28th of may I weighed 190 its now June 5th thats one week. I just now at the gym weighed in at 184. Too fast of weight drop?

Its my first cut and I'm freakin out. I'm feeling smaller too might be all in my head but I'm not sure.

What are your maint cals, and what are you cutting on?

You may have just dropped some water if you dropped your carbs by a significant margin.

Banned
    I honestly have no idea what my matenice cals are I've never maintained. I've always been bulking or cutting. Theres really no middle point for me. to give and idea I bulked on 4800.

My cut is 2320 cals.

I guess its possible I drop water but this seems to be a constant loss.

Start 5.29.06 weight 190
    5.30.06 190
    5.31.06 186
    6.01.06 187.5
    6.02.06 188
    6.04.06 186
    Today 184

Thats been the flow of it so far.

Okay, well, let's do some reverse engineering here.

If you really DID lose 6 lbs in a week, you created a deficit of 21,000 calories.

This would imply your maintenance calories were 5320 a day.

I somehow doubt even YOU could have these maint cals.

My guess is you dropped glycogen. Don't panic. Perhaps increase your calories by a 200-300 a day. 2300 seems kinda low.

How has your energy been? Appetite?

Banned
    Accually enegry has been great as I have little fat vs carbs in my diet. 190g of carbs a day. Ever since I upped the carbs and downed fat a lil my enegry has been freakish in the gym.

Appitite has been good. I've easily finished all food I have planned for the day hungry at times as well.

I have bumped it 300 today. with more protein and few more carbs.

Did some quick research is the drop in glucose going to be bad for me in anyway?
    Last edited by Gutz981; 06-05-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutz981
    Did some quick research is the drop in glucose going to be bad for me in anyway?
    Muscles store glucose as glycogen. Glycogen is your muscles energy store. Therefore less glygogen equals less available energy, potentially crappy workouts and flatter looking muscles.
    When i was cutting my carbs were less than 100g per day although my overall cals were around 3000. After the first week or two i noticed a big drop in strength on some exercises.
    Depending on how fast you were gaining on 4800, i think 2320 may be a little low.

Combat Infantryman
    You weighed yourself at the same time right? The 184 wasn't naked at 5am in the morning after shaking out some pee while the 190 was at 7pm after a bite to eat at the BK Lounge, right? My workout partner does this all the time, it's hilariously annoying.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Banned
    Nope generally the same time. Right before my workout roughly 3-330 everyday. Now obvisously it could vary on how much I have in my system and what not.

Stackattack and to increase glycogen is to eat more carbs? Specfic types or just carbs in general?

Make sure you're weighing yourself at the same time every day.

Either before breakfast in the morning, or right before bed.

This will ensure consistent results.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Stackattack and to increase glycogen is to eat more carbs? Specfic types or just carbs in general?
    I believe fats and protein are also used to produce glycogen to some degree. Carbs are just used/converted more easily.(If you want indepth info you really need input from some one like slim) So even if you are eating realtivly large amounts of carbs, if you're in a massive caloric deficit you're still going to feel like ****. But again seeing as you don't know where maintanance cals are i can't really comment.
    For me though, when i started cutting i was losing a pound per week on 4100 cals (due to a new job) and dropped down to 3000 to begin the cut. I lost weight quickly but it was a bad move as far as workout intensity was concerned. I think a 1000+ caloric deficit is too great unless you are obese.
    Bottom line, you really need to work out your maintance cals, drop 500 cals from that per day and adjust from there as the cut progresses.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Weigh yourself before breakfast, too many variables involved in the the day, water consumption, etc. I can lose 2 pounds or so just by pooping.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 06-06-2006 at 12:03 AM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

190g of carbs a day.
    I think on a this many CHO's a day your glycogen should be good to go. I think the weight loss was from two things. First dropped a few pounds of water weight, no big deal. Second, you dropped your total cals to much to quick. You said you never maintain, so it sounds like you went from 4400 cals to 2300 cals. See what the extra 300 cals does and go from there.

Ofcourse weighing yourself in the Am or just before bed is the best. BUT if your keeping it the same time etc. then you should be good. I would cut it down to weighing yourself once a week.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Based on the amount of attention you've paid to the details, this will probably turn into a horrible cut.

Figure out your maintenance calories and slowly reduce from there. Fat and protein are important. Carbs are not. Weigh yourself in the morning on an empty stomach. Etc, etc, etc.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Banned
    mannn I thought I was paying good attention to details. Damn this sucks. Well I just wasted months of training.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    mannn I thought I was paying good attention to details. Damn this sucks. Well I just wasted months of training.
    Absolutely not bro.

You dropped gylcogen. It happens when you start a cut.

I think you are fine. Just make sure you weigh yourself in the morning. Neked.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound that bad. But if you don't know your maintenance calories, you really don't know what you need to cut or bulk properly. Don't get discouraged, just figure out your maintenance calories and SLOWLY reduce them. Cutting them in half is a good way to crash.

Banned
    I ran a little search and this is what Icame up with.

All coming from different sources. I'm gonna do 3000 and see where that puts me for weight loss a week. I think 3000 sounds more reasonable. Thoughts please here I really don't want to lose anything I don't HAVE to. please

Are you using a tape measure? If not, you really need to start. Keeping track of your measurements can give you some rough indication of what you're losing - if inches are coming off the love handles, excellent. If inches are coming off your arms...

Banned
    I measured my arms at the end of my bulk and I measured my arms a few days ago. They are constant.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I'm gonna do 3000
    If you are really concerned I would do 3000 for 2 weeks and then drop cals by 200-300 week.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Based on the amount of attention you've paid to the details, this will probably turn into a horrible cut.

Figure out your maintenance calories and slowly reduce from there. Fat and protein are important. Carbs are not. Weigh yourself in the morning on an empty stomach. Etc, etc, etc.
    Why do you say carbs are not important?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    Why do you say carbs are not important?
    You can live without them.

Could be because of your water weight. Try and shoot for a 1-2 pound drop per week, but DEFINATELY NO MORE THAN 2 LBS. PER WEEK! To keep it on the safe side I'd say a little less than two lbs. a week...

Also, start dropping your calories gradually. Don't just drop 500+ calories in one week. Do it gradually.
    Last edited by PoisonPen; 06-06-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    If you are really concerned I would do 3000 for 2 weeks and then drop cals by 200-300 week.
    Follow this plan and you'll be on the fast track to a successful cut!
    Last edited by ddegroff; 06-06-2006 at 09:56 PM.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    One thing that I think contributted to that loss was that you probably cleaned out your digestive system a bit while eating less. On a bulk you hold more crap in, when you start a cut you end up eating less so the "congestion" in your intestines clears up. 2 lb easily lost.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper