Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Boot Camp [Beta] - Boot From WinXp On Intel Macs!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Oh noes! You know stuff about t3h compuut3rz! Youoz moost b3 a g33K!

No.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Oh noes! You know stuff about t3h compuut3rz! Youoz moost b3 a g33K!

No.
    WTF are you saying? That I'm not a huge geek? Let me assure everyone that I am huge geek.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Do you wear tweed?
    With elbow patches. And made form organic hemp. And I only wear it to the locally owned, single estate coffee emporium.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

But would a huge geek misplace an article?

I'm not so sure.

PS -- Nash, Wilco is coming to town and I can't find anyone to go with me.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

With elbow patches. And made form organic hemp. And I only wear it to the locally owned, single estate coffee emporium.
    LOL...wow.

You should do a little more research. There is nothing sucky about it. DELL is doing this yes, but AMD and the Alienware line will remain untouched. Their Alienware products, their labs, their workers...EVERYTHING will remain exactly the same. The only difference is, DELL can now use AMD chips in their computers, because DELL wants to be considered a brand with high end computer stations. DELL made this purchase to allow the use of AMD's brand of chips in their computers. Everything else is going to remain exactly the same. You will still be able to buy Alienware PCs from AMD and the rest of their PC line, for that matter. AMD and DELL are still going to be separate companies.
    I guess I should do more research, just saw it in passing. That's awesome man!

What games do you play? CS:S by chance?
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

I don't have time for games, really. My friend is a big CS fan, but I don't really like the game. I got addicted to WOW for a while, but then just quit cold turkey. Haven't been playing games much since. College has a way of doing that.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-11-2006 at 02:15 PM.

What hardware limitations? You mean only being able to buy from Apple? That's the only way you'll be able to run OS X natively without any issues. But if you're never going to use OS X then you can buy any PC you want.

Your stuck with that one line of processors right, it has to be an Intel Core Duo?

So IMHO that means your stuck, and I dont think you'd be able to overclock at all either.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    So IMHO that means your stuck, and I dont think you'd be able to overclock at all either.
    And then you'll realize that none of that matters and overclocking is like suping up a front wheel drive economy box.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

@ WBBIRL: Yeah...that would be the hardware limitations. But this is for Apple users who already buy from Apple, but also need Windows XP at full speed...not the emulated crap. This isn't for the Windows XP user who might want to try OS X. Get a Mac Mini if you want to try OS X. But Apple sells very fast PCs, so I don't see the issue, really.

OR...you can hack a PC with two separate hard drives and install OS X natively:

http://www.uneasysilence.com/os-x-pr...n-ordinary-pc/

You can't partition the drive like you can with Apple Boot Camp. You have to have two physically separate drives...each with their own OS [OS X and Windows].

@ MixmasterNash: Yeah...overclocking is more for bragging rights...and it's lame anyway because once you overclock, you void your warranty. You'll get a few more frames or so per second in games, but it really doesn't make much of a difference.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-11-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Overclocking being pointless and stupid!?!??!??!?!?!??!

How is takeing my opteron 165 and overclocking it to an Athlon FX-60 lame!!!!!

The performance difference is astouning for doing nothing more then changing some numbers and investing a few spare hours here and there?????

It's fun to do and you do get a performance boost, so it's still cool. You have to be careful not to fry your system though.

You don't have this kind of freedom with a Mac, though...which will take all the interest away from enthusiasts.

Temperatures are your biggest concern, but I can get the 165 to FX-60 status with no change in Vcore and a slight investment into a better HSF.

Mac's on the other hand, as you say, are not very OCable... so for that matter I wouldnt own one. That and im more of a tinker person then anything.

This isn't really for those who like building and toying with computers anyway. It's for Mac users who want to have 100% compatibility on the same computer and also to peak interest of normal Windows users. There really isn't anything like owning a computer that you built with your own hands though.

Banned
    Why isn't overclocking possible on a Mac? Isn't just a matter of getting the right BIOS?