Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you choose life or death in this situation?

Would you choose life or death in this situation?

So...

I just finished watching "Million Dollar Baby." Now before I begin, this is not a thread about the movie but if you haven't seen it and plan to, then stop reading..this will spoil it..

Anyway, I just finished watching "Million Dollar Baby," and the conclusion got me to thinking about how I'd feel if I ever got myself into Maggie's position. I wondered if I, too, would want to die if I had only marginal facial function, along with all of my brain. Certainly, the brain is the most important thing we have, and a person can do amazing things with one--but would a life of bedsores and motionlessness be worth it? Or, is it worth the risk to see what's out there after death?

Now, I know some are of the belief that there is nothing after death, and I can accept that. So I wonder how that would affect your decision in this case?

Also, there are those like me, who believe in a higher power. Some (or maybe all..I don't know) religions don't go for suicide, and would liek you to believe that you're damned if you do--but I feel like I'd be damned if I didn't...

That brings me to the next thought, which is something I've wondered as well, and come to pretty much believe at this point in my life; That God isn't as involved in everyone's business as we've always been led to believe. I feel like God intervenes when the natural progression of someone's life takes a turn that interferes with another plan He has in the works. I think that God doesn't just 'let bad things happen to good people' like we always hear, but rather allows life to progress, and gets involved when He feels the need. I also beleive that enough prayer can work wonders, but that's really for another discussion.

I also feel like science and medicine are doing almost unnatural things these days, and maybe we aren't always intended to survive. I mean, was Terry Schiavo really living, or was she just being kept alive? Was it her destiny to die as a result of her heart attack/stroke, and she was just kept alive by science and the courts? If she had been able to commit suicide, would God have felt the same way as the kid who hangs himself after his girlfriend dumps him? Does God really view a person's cause of death any differently, or only how they lived their life prior to their demise?

I know this is rather long, but all things considered..what would you do?

..and why?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Pull the plug.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Death.

For me that woulnd't be a life. Being basically nothing more than a head would be a horrible way to live. If i can't move.. can't even breathe on my own and there is ZERO chance of recovery.. it's just not worth living.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Keep thinking.

Seriously. Keep thinking, you'll find your answers.

Myself, I'd choose death. Whether or not anything is afterwards is irrelevant to me - to continue "life" in her situation would just be misery.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Death.

And by the way that movie was really damn good.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Kill me. School in it's best is inactive for me. It tortures me with sitting. That would take it to a whole other level. I would find it intolerable.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    At the end of the movie Maggie's state could hardly be called "living". I would choose death- there is no dignity in that kind of an end. I just saw the movie this past weekend and it was awesome.

I believe in death with dignity and I would extend the practice to terminally ill people with loads of pain and no chance for recovery.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Was she in the situation like the guy in the "One" video?

Loved the movie. Saw it again two nights ago, and I thought it was just as profound as the first time I saw it.

We have to remember that Maggie felt abandoned by her family, and had led a life much different from that of most people. Nevertheless, I would still choose death -- but I can see how someone in a different social/economic position might be able to make a more meaningful approach to the decision.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I too would probably choose death. Hard to say until you're
    actually there though.

Loved the movie. I came to Clint Eastwood's stuff late.
    I never saw the Dirty Harry stuff, but came in with his later westerns. The guy is now one of my favorites. He
    has a "special" quality that many so-called "stars" really do not.

In that situation I think I would chose death, just because I couldn't imagine living a life like that; almost totaly incapacitated, having to rely on someone for EVERYTHING. But like rdkraus said, I might change my mind if I ever found myself actually faced with that decision. It's a tough decision to choose death over life, so I guess I really don't know.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I would try to blink out "steeem ceellll research" over and over again with my eyes.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlP
    Was she in the situation like the guy in the "One" video?
    I would say so, although I think the guy in the video could breathe on his own.

EDIT: it appears the guy in the video "can't hear, see, smell, taste and he doesn't have arms or legs" according to this website:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=1870
    Last edited by SpecialK; 07-28-2005 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    I would try to blink out "steeem ceellll research" over and over again with my eyes.
    Good call.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

let me die in peace.

preferably with a huge morphine OD. then give my parts away.

unless the morphine makes my parts unusable. in which case - skip the morphine.
    Last edited by Tryska; 07-28-2005 at 08:49 AM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

morphine cookies for tryska!

yum yum yum..hey wait now I cant taste them anymore...its like jerking off to fat women, its not good for anyone.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

^ You speak truth, Rock.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Banned
    I would choose life, so long as I had the ability to communicate/change that decision later on.

Who knows what the future holds and what purpose may be behind a situation like that. They have lots of technology to help support and if you have partial facial function (if nothing else) then you can use motion activated tools to interact with the world. Sure you need a lot of support but I mean look at Stephen Hawking. That dude would not survive without technology and a lot of help but he has significantly contributed to the world. I like to think I would be able to at least attempt to continue to contribute even if I was laid up like that.

And yeah, I'm with Rock. Stem cell research would be high on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    morphine cookies for tryska!

mmmm...cookies.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Death. Stem cell research is still a long long way from real life clinical application. A long way.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Based on how I feel while looking at that situation from the outside, I suppose I'd choose death. But, if I was in that situation, I can't say how I'd feel about it. I think the human will to live is far stronger than a lot of us realize, and we may all view things differently..given the opportunity.

Just the fact that life can be sustained in so many seemingly crappy states of existence is a bit unsettling to me. It's like one part of science and medicine is WAY ahead of the other, and the actual repairing of these things is truly lagging behind.

I'd have to hope for a cure, and stay in that condition a while I guess, but I'd really have to find something to keep me occupied.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-28-2005 at 04:45 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

Banned
    I haven't seen the movie, read the thread, or read anything other than the thread title, but I'd choose death.

Death. I'm not interested in life that excludes living. Isn't that the point?
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    I guess that would depend entirely on one's definition of "living" or "life."

Life, to me, is what you make of it.

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    depends on wha tyou call life. Stephen Hawking is doign alright, as far as i know that is. Personally i can't say, unless i'm in the situation. Hopefully i will never be in that situation.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.