The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

There is something wrong with my bench (long question)

Hi, allow me to introduce myself and why I am here... I am a highly dedicated wiegthlifter and have been since I first touched a wieght bar(Maybe a year and a half ago). I am here to seek advice for my goals which seem unreachable at this point...
    Now, my predicament, I've asked my wieghtlifting coach why this is happening but there is still no explanation... Before I continue let's have some background information

When I first started lifting, I was 14 years of age, and doing it solely for football(please don't take my young age as a reason to not respond to this post). When I did start I maxed out for the first time at 155 lbs on bench press... After that I saw my name in the top 24 benchers in my school and began to lift religiously... I saw a climb over about the course of a year until I hit about a max of roughly 205-215 lbs.

I then had a minor injury to my shoulder in a football game, it was nothing serious, purely pain, then my bench was indefinatly 205 lbs, I was repping 165 lbs on 3 sets every other day... 1st set, about 9 reps... 2nd, 6-7... 3rd, 5-7...

Now before football season I wieghed rougly 210 lbs, towards the end... about 190ish... So then I joined my schools wrestling team... By the end of the season my body wieght had dropped to 155-160, and my bench press is now down to 185, and has been ever since the offset of wrestling season.

It's been about 3 months and on a good day I am able to get out 8 reps of 155 on my first set... And I've seen literally no improvement... This has dealt a serious blow to my self confidence...

Some more background to this:
    Everyday when I wake up I do 52 push-ups, 35 crunches(these are a modified type of crunches, hence the low number), 15 one handed push-ups on each hand with some disputable form, and an interesting tricep workout(52 reps)
    I repeat this when I get home from school, Again before dinner, and again before bed

So, for the most part I've been benching since I started every other day. If you need any more information that might help you help me please ask. Thank you.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Welcome to WBB:
    Yes its quite a simple answer to your question:
    STOP EXERCISING EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!
    Waaaaaay too much-52 push ups every single day?Man and you bench too?
    Don't do any workouts for about two weeks keep your nutrition clean and watch what happens..
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

Yep, as vanfreak said, you're working out WAY too much. Stop the pushups and tricep workout everyday and just work out your chest 1 day a week. You grow and get stronger when you're resting, not when you're working out. You're not giving your body any time to recuperate.

:withstupi

Start doing a real weightlifting routine and you'll start seeing results
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

you aren't progressing because you are never letting your muscles heal and grow. You need a routine that focuses on more then benchpress and pushups to succeed. Read this entire thing
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25
    and then come back and ask more questions. You might want to take a week or two off and then start, but i don't know the extent of how bad your overworking from just that information.

Yall have to take in account that he plays football and Has to lift every other day, the extra tricep routine and all needs to be cut out to avoid serious overtraining. You dropped 20+ pounds over wrestling? I dont think your diet is in order either. Your muscles grow when you are resting, not when you are working out; if you keep breaking them down they will never properly build back up

It's very simple - you lost 30-50 lbs and are doing calisthenic exercises for the bench muscles every single day. If you want a bigger bench, you need to exactly reverse that. I know you're 15, but c'mon. You lost 50 pounds and you have no idea why you can't progress in lifting heavy weights?

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Wannabebig Member
    Can you guys tell me how this routine is:
    1st set: 155, 10 reps
    2nd set: 160, 10 reps
    3rd set: 165, 10 reps
    4th set: 170, as close to 10 reps as possible

Someone told me about this and it seems like it wouldn't be a bad routine for bench... Over all my workout over the course of a week would probably look something like this:
    Day 1: Bench, Military press, Tricep push down or Close grip bench press
    day 2: Lat pull downs or Bent over barbell rows, Deadlift or Hyperextension, Curls
    Day 3: Squat, Leg Curls, Leg extension
    Day 4: repeat day 1
    Day 5: repeat day 2
    Day 6: repeat day 3
    Day 7: rest day

Tell me what you think, if it's all bad, could you post a revision with a better loking workout? thanks

Wannabebig Member
    Just an FYI... There is no single routine that is going to be great for me... and then be great for you. I only lift about 3 or 4 days a week. I do chest/tris, then shoulders and stomach, then back and biceps, and finally legs (sometimes i skimp out on legs because I run on days I'm not lifting.) Anyways, if I go to relift chest on day 5, I may do poorly. Actually because of school, I had to take a few extra days off and then restart my routine and saw a major improvement on the amount of weight I could benchpress. Why don't you try your routine out... If you feel fatigued on the first day of the new cycle (ie... the repeat of day one) then revise your schedual. Remember it's not about how much you train... it's about how well.

Wannabebig Member
    I have another question... Is one excersice per muscle enough? I.E. the oonly chest work I do is Bench Press... Only shoulders are Military press... Should I rather add more excersices and increase rest time???

Quote Originally Posted by FujiGorilla
    I saw a climb over about the course of a year until I hit about a max of roughly 205-215 lbs.

I then had a minor injury to my shoulder in a football game, it was nothing serious, purely pain, then my bench was indefinatly 205 lbs, I was repping 165 lbs on 3 sets every other day... 1st set, about 9 reps... 2nd, 6-7... 3rd, 5-7...

Now before football season I wieghed rougly 210 lbs, towards the end... about 190ish... So then I joined my schools wrestling team... By the end of the season my body wieght had dropped to 155-160, and my bench press is now down to 185, and has been ever since the offset of wrestling season.

It's been about 3 months and on a good day I am able to get out 8 reps of 155 on my first set... And I've seen literally no improvement... This has dealt a serious blow to my self confidence...
    You lost 40lbs of bodyweight. This will hurt you BP a lot. There's not really much of a difference between 165x9 and 155x8.... You haven't lost much strength, if any.
    Some more background to this:
    Everyday when I wake up I do 52 push-ups, 35 crunches(these are a modified type of crunches, hence the low number), 15 one handed push-ups on each hand with some disputable form, and an interesting tricep workout(52 reps)
    I repeat this when I get home from school, Again before dinner, and again before bed
    So, for the most part I've been benching since I started every other day. If you need any more information that might help you help me please ask. Thank you.
    You are doing too much and what you are doing is not the best. Look into some decent bench routines, or just back off and simplify things - You'll probably start making gains.

Are you avoiding weight gain right now?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Are you avoiding weight gain right now?
    I'm avoiding fat gain... I've been afraid to pump too many calories into my diet as I hated being fat... I don't do anything aside from the push-ups etc. and lift, so I've been afraid to move onto those huge calorie diets people suggest, bacause of my lack of cardio.

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    Are you still wrestling? I would say if you do then do your pushup routine maybe once a week to still keep the muscle fibers that allow you to do many pushups. This should keep your muscle endurance for the bouts. The other routines people posted will make you gain strength on your BP.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

Someone told me about this and it seems like it wouldn't be a bad routine for bench... Over all my workout over the course of a week would probably look something like this:
    Day 1: Bench, Military press, Tricep push down or Close grip bench press
    day 2: Lat pull downs or Bent over barbell rows, Deadlift or Hyperextension, Curls
    Day 3: Squat, Leg Curls, Leg extension
    Day 4: repeat day 1
    Day 5: repeat day 2
    Day 6: repeat day 3
    Day 7: rest day
    Doesn't sound bad. I'd suggest a 3x8 scheme with the same weight after a proper warmup.

Plus you gotta eat! Get enough protein and calories.

I would suggest a couple of things so you don't get bored quickly. Here's my revamped workout for ya:

Day 1: Bench press, military press, skull crushers, calves
    Day 2: Bent over rows, pullups, bb curls
    Day 3: Squats, leg curl, leg extension, abs
    Day 4: Incline bench, lateral raises, face pulls, tricep pushdowns
    Day 5: Deadlift, good mornings,
    Day 6: Squats, SLDL, abs
    Day 7: rest

You may also look into WBB1 or Max OT (www.ast-ss.com)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    As far as getting fat - if you body fat is low - around 10% - then you can afford it going up to 15% or so. You should try bulking for a while and see how much fat you gain.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russianwol
    Are you still wrestling? I would say if you do then do your pushup routine maybe once a week to still keep the muscle fibers that allow you to do many pushups. This should keep your muscle endurance for the bouts. The other routines people posted will make you gain strength on your BP.
    Wrestling is over, and I do not plan to do it again... It is boring, and the tournaments take up so much time it's not even funny... All weekend long tournaments, Long practices(4 hours), 6 days a week, sometimes 7... No thank you...

To reply to BG5150; I could try that but my equipment limits me... I don't have the equipment for skull crushers, and no bar for pull-ups... and I am not familiar with good mornings, SLDL, or face pulls

Wrestling is over, and I do not plan to do it again... It is boring, and the tournaments take up so much time it's not even funny... All weekend long tournaments, Long practices(4 hours), 6 days a week, sometimes 7... No thank you...

To reply to BG5150; I could try that but my equipment limits me... I don't have the equipment for skull crushers, and no bar for pull-ups... and I am not familiar with good mornings, SLDL, or face pulls
    Skull crushers - you can do this with dumbells or a standard bar.
    Pull-ups - it's not that hard to find a bar (the top of a power cage?), or to mount one yourself somewhere.

GM: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...odMorning.html

SLDL: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

ETA: I've always been a heavy guy myself, so I understand being worried about becoming a fatass again, but you have to gain a little weight to get back your strength levels. Just eat more of the healthier foods, move up your caloric intake little by little, and enjoy not being hungry anymore.
    Last edited by Skinny Fat; 04-10-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    Skull crushers - you can do this with dumbells or a standard bar.
    Pull-ups - it's not that hard to find a bar (the top of a power cage?), or to mount one yourself somewhere.

GM: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...odMorning.html

SLDL: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html
    Ahh thank you, this is useful... A pul up bar may be arrangable... can you link another site like that for DB skull crushers??? I've never seen 'em done with DBs

Wannabebig Member
    Back to the push-ups, 1hand push-ups, and tricep excercise... I should stop these basically all together and only touch them once a week? When is it I should do them?
    And also what about those crunches? should I keep those on a daily 4 x's a day basis?
    Thanks again everyone

Stop doing crunches. Your abs need to be worked just like every other muscle group. 1-2 times per week MAX, with weighted situps.

Find a decline bench, lock in your legs, grab a 25lbs plate and put it to your chest. Situp, repeat. 8-15 reps, 3 sets. 2 times per week, MAX.

All those crunches are a waste, and are making you good at crunches. People with visible abs, despite any abdominal routine they have, have one thing in common--LOW BODYFAT. But to work the muscles, work them just like the chest, bi's, tri's, back, etc. Heavy, weighted, lower reps.
    Last edited by Patz; 04-10-2006 at 04:17 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

ANd no, don't do any pushups or one-handers, or triceps stuff unless it's part of a separate Crossfit-Style routine aimed at getting you into good shape (i.e...getting some wind in the lungs, and building endurance). They do absolutely nothing to help your strength, or muscle growth. They're actually hindering it.

Muscle growth (and the after-effect of strength gains) is a result of tear-down and rebuild (food). If you don't stop and let them REST, they can't rebuild.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    OK, I'll cut the push-ups, etc out of my days...
    I have another question however; Is 1 excersise per muscle group enough? In the routine I read above somewhere there were 2, but on seperate days, so it ended up being only one chest excercise each time it's a chest day... So I assume that this is OK then?

Im also a wrestler when i cut my 40 pounds from 210-168 I actually gained strength i ate protein and strictly protein and worked out even harder then i did when i was trying to bulk up.

I do low sets tho I dont do anything over 8 and just started doing sets of 8 sometimes i would recommend doing sets of 5 to build more muscle mass.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I'm avoiding fat gain... I've been afraid to pump too many calories into my diet as I hated being fat... I don't do anything aside from the push-ups etc. and lift, so I've been afraid to move onto those huge calorie diets people suggest, bacause of my lack of cardio.
    lack of cardio and you play football. Dude you need to do some cardio! Short sprints a couple of times a week will help you progress. Keep your heart healthier too.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Wannabebig Member
    What days should I include sprints on? What are face pulls? And when would be an ideal time of day to lift?

Concerning my diet... I'm around 2000 calories per day I geuss... When you say 'slowly add calories' how much a day/week? How many should I stop at?