The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Front squats?

Big Smiley

Front squats?

I had a question I am wondering if front squats is a good substitute for the more conventional method? The reason I ask is because I dont have a squat rack at home. I have pretty much everything else I need. When I do regular squats I have to power clean the bar over my head and then onto my shoulders, which prohibits me from doing as much as I know I could. I tried front squats today but they just dont feel right. Any help would be appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

ull be doing lower weight and they seem to hit the quads more. the bar placement on the front squats takes getting used to and that is generally the limiting factor at first.

Check out Built's journal, I believe she does front squats in place of back squats. (i am doing both currently)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smiley View Post
    I had a question I am wondering if front squats is a good substitute for the more conventional method? The reason I ask is because I dont have a squat rack at home. I have pretty much everything else I need. When I do regular squats I have to power clean the bar over my head and then onto my shoulders, which prohibits me from doing as much as I know I could. I tried front squats today but they just dont feel right. Any help would be appreciated.
    Most people don't like them - for me they seem to place much more stress on my biceps and arms...I don't have a big chest and maybe that's part of the discomfort.

Have you considered building a squat rack?

Big Smiley
    As a matter of fact I was just thinking about building one. It would save some money. I already have alot put into all the equipment I have got so that is defitnetely an option. Yeah and it just seemed awkward doing the front squats of course that is the first time I have tried them. Thank you for the feedback.

Honestly all you need is some sawhorse-like structures to hold the weight in case you drop it or collapse. The rack to hold the weight is a bit trickier.

They are great. Learning the form at first can be tricky but once you have it they are an awesome exercise. If they are hurting your chest or biceps your doing them wrong. The bar should be on your front delts.
    Nick V

If your cleaning it then you need to have the wrist flexibility to place the bar on your shoulders, ideally, you should be able to take your hands of the bar and and it will sit firmly on the groove of your front delts and be able to squat.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I can't do regular squats because of my limited shoulder flexibility.. I do deadlifts, dumbbell squats, and just getting into front squats..

Big Smiley
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.