Thread: Going uphill backwards???

Going uphill backwards???

Need some quick advice

Im Currently doing a Power routine and gearing up to start BGB on monday.. However, Im wondering if its a good idea though..

I had the gastric bypass surgery and it still has me losing weight to the tune of 5-7lbs per week... Im hoping its fat, but who knows (picking up ketone strips today). I cant help but to think I should only be worrying about high reps at this point until my weight levels out where I can start bulking/cutting. I just have a suspiscion that Im working against myself.

Im lucky if I can intake 1400 cals a day... Albeit the calories I do take in are 80% proteins. Im just concerned that my hard work may be in futility and that I need to be focusing on building lean muscle and endurance.. and leave the powerlifting for when I get down to my goal weight of 225....

Any and all input would be great!!!!!
    My Journal
    My Fitday Log

Wether you believe you can or you can't..You're probably right

IMO I wouldn't focus on doing high reps...

I'd do low reps and high weight to make sure that you're preserving as much muscle mass as possible while you're losing all that body weight
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I think that going uphill backwards sounds like a great hamstring exercise.

Seriously, you don't need to be thinking about cutting, bulking, powerlifting, etc. You're on the right track with just doing some exercises as in your journal and you shouldn't over think things.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I thought EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!!

Seriously, you don't need to be thinking about cutting, bulking, powerlifting, etc. You're on the right track with just doing some exercises as in your journal and you shouldn't over think things.
    I completely agree.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Good idea. I might start doing that while holding some heavy DB's. Backwards uphill farmer's walk!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle