The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A Business Proposal, Nutrition at the Gym

I was working out at the gym today chugging down another disgusting shake(dont ever buy shakes made by leanstone) when a man approached me. He looked like he was around 50 years old. We get to talking and he says he would like to make me an offer. He asked me if I would make a proposal for him to start a business in the gym. He wants to sell shakes, supplements, and other diet items in the gym. The man currently owns his own business (catering). He said that he would pay me to do this. If I do this for him I would want to get in on the job. I am planning on asking some of my professors what it is going to take to do this. I need to put together a lot of imformation for this. I was thinking there could be a pre and post workout menu. The plan would be to make shakes in blenders. I'll need some of the best recipes. Taste is very important. Please give me some input on what you guys think of the idea. Have you ever seen one of these in a gym? Do you have any tips for me? Any recipes? What supplements should I have? Costs? What would you pay for a shake? Just start me off with some ideas! Thanks a lot,
    Levi
    hate the sin love the sinner

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've never heard of anything like it. I think it would be pretty sweet to get your pre and post workout shake right at the gym. Then if you did get some good tastes that would make it even better. It would be something I would defiantly be getting if my gym offered it. Maybe offer some sort of monthly payment option for it. It would be a pain to be messing around paying every shake. Another thing you could do is offer some sort of custom shake option. To where they can choose what they want in their shake.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 04-13-2006 at 09:56 PM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

I'm sure alot of Plebs would jump on the idea, but you would have to sell products that are premade - Ie Creatine Blast, allready to go with nutrional info and ingredients on the bottle etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    I'm sure alot of Plebs would jump on the idea, but you would have to sell products that are premade - Ie Creatine Blast, allready to go with nutrional info and ingredients on the bottle etc etc.

Why would they have to be pre made? As long as you have the nutritional charts etc I don't think it is required.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_dan
    As long as you have the nutritional charts etc I don't think it is required.
    This is generally accepted policy.

Places like that should and usually do add the protein right in front of you. For the creatine get some labelled 1TSP measurers.

yeah this sounds like a smoothie bar, i've seen a lot of gyms going in this direction.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

I work in food retail, as soon as something goes into a sealed container it requires a nutritional label.

But having said that, those juice bars/shake bars that make your smoothie or whatever do it in front of you - and there is no information about it. So never mind Just means that you can't have prepared stock sitting in fridges that you can simply hand out on demand, you'll have to make it everything on site when requested.

The gym I goto has a juice/smoothie bar. They also sell supplements, sandwhichs, and all sorts of stuff. Coffee, tea, MRPs, protein bars, juice, medicine, and even some gym supplies.
    Nick V

We have a place like that in my gym called Smoothie King. Not only do they offer pre and post workout items, they also have just regular smoothies. Maybe you should check them out for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronic
    What would you pay for a shake?
    A 20 oz smoothie cost at least 7 bucks there.

Boo capitalism! My 2L smoothie cost about 70c.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

You would have to price them at cost - rendering the business useless.

Why would someone pay for a shake that they could make on their own for half the price 20 minutes later?
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Actually, come to think of it, the average person's intellegence barely scrapes acceptable, so you may be able to trick them into buying say, a card that costs 50 bucks but you get 20 smoothies. Psychology is king.

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    -------------

Not quite right/

Quote Originally Posted by MJS

Why would someone pay for a shake that they could make on their own for half the price 20 minutes later?
    You mean like hamburgers and every other kind of fast food?

If they can buy it in a gym then they don't have buy it from a store or keep track of if they are close to running out of anything.

I'm not saying this business will do well but the vast majority of the multi-billion dollar service economy is built on doing things for people they could easily do for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeG
    You mean like hamburgers and every other kind of fast food?

If they can buy it in a gym then they don't have buy it from a store or keep track of if they are close to running out of anything.

I'm not saying this business will do well but the vast majority of the multi-billion dollar service economy is built on doing things for people they could easily do for themselves.
    Um no. Hamburgers and protein shakes are a completely different service. One requires about 30 minutes start to finish, the other about 3. It takes time and effort to make hamburgers - possibly even longer if you have to defrost them, or make them from ground beef, or go to the store to get them. Protein shakes - you buy a tub you have it for 2wks-1mo. Takes 3 minutes tops.

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    -------------

One thing that might be nice is to list exact cals and macro breakdowns.

The guys in this thread should notice that we are the elite. We are the hardcore.

Smoothie bars are for foofy lawers and other assorted candyasses.

Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    Boo capitalism! My 2L smoothie cost about 70c.
    Soooooooooooooo true.

But big guy! This wheatgrass will help you get huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!!!

It's called convenience. 2 of my former gyms had shake bars. If you're in a hurry they are very useful. I used to pay $4.50 for a large shake which had about 50 g of protein.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    yeah people definitely pay

my old gym in palm beach, chicago, and here at school all have them

i never get one because i have my own recipe at home but.. if i didnt then i would probably get one

To distribute supplements like creatine, or NoX, wouldnt one need some sort of license??

Not to sell them in their packaging, but to actually put them in a shake.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    If, with the menu, you tell the phsyological benefits of the shake, but not actually tell them what ingredients are used (so people don't know how easy it is to make, but keep a list in the back incase a customer asks) I think you would be much better off in suckering them into buying it. This would help them understand why there is 70g+ of sugar in their post-workout shake and why it will make them hugggggggge.

I also think that you could just get away with a smoothie bar (but also include the special shakes for the more hardcore people) because the average gym attendee will probably go for taste rather then the benefits (I'm not saying fruit smoothies are a bad post workout meal).

Hmmm, has anyone ever put whey into a fruit smoothie? I guess you could give that a shot. You could also try caffeine additives with like herbs and stuff. I don't know much about herbs but I'm sure some people on here could enlighten us about some special properties you could use in the shakes.

You could also get some ma huang and sell it out of the back of the store. haha

Overall, I think this is a pretty sweet proposition you should take advantage of. I would probably bust out a notepad and pencil and just start writing down ideas, or hit up a friend that works at Orange Julius, Jamba Juice or some other smoothie place and steal some ideas from there =p. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner
    I used to pay $4.50 for a large shake which had about 50 g of protein.
    Good for you. And good thing that your body can only consume 40g MAX of protein at a time - the rest you sh*t out. Congrats.

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    -------------

Wannabebig Member
    I tend to side with MJS. That people will buy it even though it is a waste of money. At one of my gyms that had it there were complex recipes involving cookies, peanut butter, etc. I would suggest frozen fruit, protein powder, and sugar as the basics with added "boosters" of L-glutamine or creatine or ALCAR for an added price.

I personally would rather make my own simply because its much cheaper.

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    Good for you. And good thing that your body can only consume 40g MAX of protein at a time - the rest you sh*t out. Congrats.
    There is no universal amount for everyone. There are many variables like a weight lifter will be able to utilize more protein than someone who doesn't. PEACE

Utterly Incorrect. How about you do some research and know your sh*t before you go off trying to be condescending and running your mouth?
    Last edited by Optimum08; 04-14-2006 at 04:49 PM.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    Utterly Incorrect. How about you do some research and know your sh*t before you go off trying to be condescending and running your mouth?
    Could've been spoken in a nicer tone, but overall --> :withstupi
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-14-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."