Thread: front squat question

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

front squat question

I was practicing front squats a bit earlier today, and my elbows touch my knees at the bottom. Am I not leaning back enough or do I need to have my elbows higher or something?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Are you holding the bar like the end position of a clean, or are yo ucrossing your arms? I generally cross my arms and hold the bar on top of my shoulders and then I don't have that problem.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Iron4Life
    Search on Maki's posts...
    Somewhere on WBB he has a great post of him doing 325 Front squats...
    With excellant form.....

Your upper arms should be parallel (more or less) with the floor. So yes, elbows up.

I'm holding it like the end position of a clean. I tried holding my elbows up a bit higher (which also helped with my wrists), and no longer do my elbows hit my knees.

But I can just barely get to parallel keeping a straight back. It actually might be a hair above parallel. I really need flexibility/technique work.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    It could be you are rounding your back at the bottom as well.

Thanks.

just move your hands out a little more
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    The clean grip has always been a problem for me. Personally, I have no reason to learn it so I use the crossover grip. It works fine. Since you are doing cleans regularely I'd work on the clean grip though.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 04-24-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    I'm holding it like the end position of a clean. I tried holding my elbows up a bit higher (which also helped with my wrists), and no longer do my elbows hit my knees.

But I can just barely get to parallel keeping a straight back. It actually might be a hair above parallel. I really need flexibility/technique work.

I don't know if you want to spend the money, but weightlifting shoes are the greatest things to happen to front squats in, well, ever. They would probably help.

Do you have your hands completely around the bar like they were during the pull portion of the clean? Ive noticed that it helps to have just the tips of your fingers "holding" the bar during the front squat, its just enough to keep the bar on your delts and into your neck, it also allows you to keep your elbows higher.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I'm with Eric, after the clean I have the bar 'resting' - to a degree - on my front shoulders, using just the tips of my fingers to hold it in place.

I checked the mirror and had a few of my family members check my back and going to parallel, my back does no rounding at all. But if I tried to go any lower than that, my back would round.

And I barely just have the tips of my fingers supporting the bar (index, middle, and ring; no pinky). I got a little better at holding the bar in the proper position. Probably the best thing for me would be if I could go to a gym right now and get help from a pro.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    man he made it seems like a walk in the park.

personally holding the bar to my shoulders with any more then the tips of my fingers I get unwanted wrist pain and the exercise doesn't feel right.
    Your shoulders alone should be able to hold the bar in place, try not to think of your hands holding the bar there rather, your fingertips.
    It seems harder written out than it actually is... if possible have a person with experience help you in person.
    Last edited by D Breyer; 04-25-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205