Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ab workouts for a six pack.

Wannabebig Member

Ab workouts for a six pack.

I am 5'10'' and 135 pounds. I am very skinny. I want to get a six pack. I have one when I flex, but I want it to be there all the time. Can someone give me a crunch or sit up schedule or something like that. THanks in advance.

First, start doing an abb exercise called proper diet.

Then, incorporate high intesity, high weight, low rep exercise into your routine.

Also, fitday.com offers one of the best abb excercises you can find.

You're either going to need to pack on more muscle, or cut more weight if you want a 6. You can't spot reduce. Being that you are super skinny, I would suggest you consider putting on some mass first.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 04-14-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Get much, much stronger.

Stop doing whatever number of crunches and situps you're doing to 'get you the six pack'.

Once you've put on 20 lbs, do weighted ab work once a week.

If you still can't see your abs, do a mini-cut.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Since this is an ab thread i'll do a mini-hijack/ bridge to the OP's question.

I know you guys always suggest short heavy reps but that can get boring :P

I recently started doing "concentrated" legs lifts: Where it takes about 3-4 secs to get to the top and pause there for about a sec or so. I've been doing 3 sets of 12 reps and I've been feeling a major burn but I want to get some opinions on this exercise.

My goal is bigger ab muscles so when I cut they'll be there.

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    Hmmm. Wait - you want a six pack while relaxed? Well first you gotta be under 5 % bodyfat, but I doubt you'll have a six pack relaxed. Look at Chris Dim who's got one of the best abs in the Pro game: http://www.ronnie.cz/_img/Fotogalerie/2125_5_1.jpg

But what you could do is get silicon implants in your ab area. I read somewhere they offer this cosmetic surgery.
    Last edited by russianwol; 04-14-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    You don't have to be anywhere close to 5% to have abs when relaxed. I'm like 12%-ish and I can see abs in most lighting (slightly, atleast )
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateBoy
    Since this is an ab thread i'll do a mini-hijack/ bridge to the OP's question.

I know you guys always suggest short heavy reps but that can get boring :P

I recently started doing "concentrated" legs lifts: Where it takes about 3-4 secs to get to the top and pause there for about a sec or so. I've been doing 3 sets of 12 reps and I've been feeling a major burn but I want to get some opinions on this exercise.

My goal is bigger ab muscles so when I cut they'll be there.
    This is fine. Try going up at a regular pace (say, 1 second) and then going down slowly (say, 3-4 seconds). There's more benefits emphasizing the eccentric portion than the concentric. Personally I never go below 8 reps on abs, and rarely even go below 10. Especially on a crunch.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Well first you gotta be under 5 % bodyfat
    That is the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever heard. No...you don't have to be 5% or even near that.

Abs is diet + training.

But what you could do is get silicon implants in your ab area.
    Er...stop giving advice.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    This is fine. Try going up at a regular pace (say, 1 second) and then going down slowly (say, 3-4 seconds). There's more benefits emphasizing the eccentric portion than the concentric. Personally I never go below 8 reps on abs, and rarely even go below 10. Especially on a crunch.
    I thought that eccentric = push? So up not down?

What are the benefits of emphysizing the eccentric?

Educate me

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    I've found that deep squats (where your ass is touching your calves) really really really work my abs well.

The first time I was doing them I would breath in on the way down and I couldn't even get any air into my stomach my abs were so tight. So i suggest you breath in on the way up. I know it's common sense, but I was just trying to emphasize how well it worked my abs. PEACE
    Last edited by lifter4life; 04-14-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lifter4life
    I've found that deep squats (where your ass is touching your calves) really really really work my abs well.

The first time I was doing them I would breath in on the way down and I couldn't even get any air into my stomach my abs were so tight. So i suggest you breath in on the way up. I know it's common sense, but I was just trying to emphasize how well it worked my abs. PEACE
    Breathe IN on the WAY UP?

So i suggest you breath in on the way up.
    Um...NO. You breathe out when exerting force in the exercise. That is dangerous advice...not only for others, but also for yourself. Breathe in on the way down and breathe out on the way up...since that is where the effort in the lift lies.

Not to mention the air in your lungs on the way down helps stabilize your spine.

Quote Originally Posted by piothepio
    I am very skinny. I want to get a six pack.
    You don't have one and your very skinny? Well then bulk and incorporate abs into your workout twice a week (72 hrs in between) and build them up. Maybe you don't have one because the ab muscles just aren't big enough to have one. Eat lots.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

You don't have one and your very skinny?
    You can be very skinny and not have a six pack. It's not a shocker.

A Male weighing 135 at almost 6 feet... There's can't be a whole lot of muscle there.

Put on some muscle mass, you'll see those abs in no time. Oh how I envy the bulking.

is it really hard to get abs to show while relaxed?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Body Fat around 12%
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Chest: 38"

Bench Press: 225 x 10 reps and 275 pounds x 1 rep
    Deadlift: 405 pounds x 1 rep
    Squat: 335 pounds x 3 reps

Piothepio I say build some muscle first. I seen a real skinny dude with a 6 pack and it looked very out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    You can be very skinny and not have a six pack. It's not a shocker.
    That's why you should quote the rest of my post - gives him the answer. Thread over.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    That's why you should quote the rest of my post - gives him the answer. Thread over.
    I was referencing your surprise. But yes...they should be worked on if they are absent.

Banned
    Don't eat fatty foods right before your bedtime.

I have great abs, and, I must say, laughing a lot works your abs really great! Here's a tip: youtube.com and searching for "Chappelle Show" ROFL!!!!!

Also, bulk up. Fish, fish, chicken, fish!!

High-protein foods will help those abs AND everything else scream "BULK!"

Try to go light on your ab work, give your abs times to develop. You don't want to kill them all the time. The crunches are fine. Just make sure you're doing them fluidly and all the way through. Don't just do a bunch of fast "lunges."

Also, I would recommend oblique slides: stand up straight, hold two heavy dbs at your sides, and slowly bend to one side and back up, and do this other side the same way. This will help work your sides and lower back, as well, adding to the complete abdominal stronghold!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eszekial
    First, start doing an abb exercise called proper diet.

Then, incorporate high intesity, high weight, low rep exercise into your routine.

Also, fitday.com offers one of the best abb excercises you can find.

You're either going to need to pack on more muscle, or cut more weight if you want a 6. You can't spot reduce. Being that you are super skinny, I would suggest you consider putting on some mass first.

Many say that low rep high weight sets are what makes the body burn fat instead of muscle, but why wouldnt high rep, reasonably high weights not do the same? Would the body seriously burn muscle instead if it is being used for high reps? Its going to eat your muscles while they are sore as hell from doing high reps? Im skeptical, but if there is backing evidence, I may not be anymore.

Many people have jobs or sports activities that require aerobic high rep fitness. IMO that along with sprints and a good diet will give you a lean body as well (and a highly conditioned one at that).
    Last edited by ELITENUB; 04-14-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Core training. It wasn't until I could Decline crunch 3 plates before my six pack pushed through the fat.

Your abs don't push through the fat.

Wannabebig Member
    I found my abs to never show, up until I was eating A LOT. I've found, eating alot, all around the day (even right before bedtime, etc etc) will get more of the fat to go away. This is due to how your body acts on food. For example, if you sit there and only eat 2 times a day, you are stupid, that will get your body to preserve much more fat so it will burn it slower through the day. If you get your body accustomed to eating every 2-3 hours (you should be eating every 3 hours! 4 AT THE MAX!) then your body will hold much less fat. Your motabilism will work much faster, and muscles will be much more visible. I have a friend who is much skinnier than I am, he is about 6'1" - 6'2", he weighs about 140, yet his abs show all of the time.

Want to know his secret? Eating 4 times a day, and many snacks in between meals. My abs are beginning to show much more, because I am eating 6 meals a day, at least, with many snacks.

So while muscle makes them stronger, and it will make them show more, its not 100% of the muscle that causes them to show. I would suggest you eat alot, and work your abs out too!