The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Are you sure about these methods?

Hi. I just happened upon these forums about a week ago and picked up a new routine on one of the threads. This is it:

Monday:
    Bench 5x5
    Rows 3x8
    Tricep push downs 3x8
    Tuesday:
    Squat 3x5
    Calf raises 3x8
    Curls 3x8
    Thursday:
    Military Press 3x8
    Pull-ups 3x8
    Lat Raises 3x8
    Friday:
    DL 3x3
    Leg curls 3x8

So I did that last week. Reason I switched originally was because my bench press plateaued at about a max of 155 6 or 7 times... I also wanted to start including other lifts in my routine, as my old routine was this:

A-Day: Bench 3 sets to failure
    Lat Pull Down 3x12
    Tri Push Down 3x10
    B-Day: Military Press 3 sets to failure
    curls 3x15

And as I said my bench press plateaued. So the first day of this routine(monday last week) I did my bench press and used 155 and got 7, 4, 3 and stopped there because all those reps were all I could get out... So I came back today and put 145 on and began to go for the 5x5 scheme. What ended up happening was on the very first set I struggled to get the 5th rep, and that was using pretty bad form to begin with... So I ended up like this 5x5,5,5,5,3 and on the last set a spotter helped me with 2 extra.

So my overall question here is why was my bench press' weight soo much lower? From 155x7 first set to 145x5? Please help, this is really depressing me, and I want to know if this is just a bad routine before I continue with it. Thank you for anything your experience might be able to offer me!
    Last edited by Jason Rbns; 04-18-2006 at 10:11 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Tuesday:
    Squat 3x5
    Calf raises 3x8
    Curls 3x8

You should be squatting today, that's the problem.

There's no point in bench pressing 2 days in a row. Your muscles and CNS haven't recovered from yesterday. Just perform that routine exactly how its listed, its a good one. Give it some time and I guarantee you'll make progress.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Tuesday:
    Squat 3x5
    Calf raises 3x8
    Curls 3x8

You should be squatting today, that's the problem.

There's no point in bench pressing 2 days in a row. Your muscles and CNS haven't recovered from yesterday. Just perform that routine exactly how its listed, its a good one. Give it some time and I guarantee you'll make progress.
    I was benching today because I didn't yesterday... I was just going to bump the whole routine down a day for this week bacause I didn't want to go without bench... I already feel like I'm hardly working it compared to my old routine...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rbns
    I was benching today because I didn't yesterday... I was just going to bump the whole routine down a day for this week bacause I didn't want to go without bench... I already feel like I'm hardly working it compared to my old routine...
    Ah whoops I misread your post.. I thought you said you benched 155x7 yesterday. How long have you been doing flat bench presses? It might be time to switch to a different exercise. I still think that if you stick to 5x5 for a few weeks you'll start getting stronger though, you might've just had a bad training day yesterday(we all have em).
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Um...

155x7, 4, 3 = 14 reps

145x4x5
    145x3 (+2)
    =23 reps

Why is that so hard to understand? When you can 155 5x5, you're going to be doing a lot more work than some weird-ass 7, 4, 3 program.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    It takes time to adjust to a new routine. And like someone said, you might have just had a bad training day. We all have them now and then, no biggie.

Give it a few weeks (5-6) and see how you are doing...but stick to the routine. The only thing I would change are the Monday and Friday workouts (I'd switch them around), because Deads are more demanding than bench press. I'd want a good two days of rest for those.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 04-19-2006 at 07:52 AM.