The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The everyday battle: Eating...

I know I can't be the only one that this happens to, and I'm sure this has been discussed before on these forums.. I just couldn't find it.
    Eating eating and more eating... It gets tiring. Don't get me wrong, I love eating, but some days, it feels as if I just want to give up and eat like a normal chump. There are times when I will go 3 or 4 days strong, consuming all of my needed calories(while bulking), and then some days where I just can't put it down, and eat like a little school girl... no not literally, but you get my point.

What is it that motivates you and keeps you going? What keeps you eating like the animal you really are!?
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

WBB Member
    That if I don't I will shrink back down to my untrained self.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Wow. I've seriously never in my life met a person that couldnt or had trouble with gourging themselves. I wish I was bulking now Cutting stinks.

If its seriously a problem for you try to inlcude more liquid foods. You can make a pretty clean cut liquid weight gainer that has a buttload of calories. All you need is some whey, 2% milk, and peanuts or oats and your good to go.

I went out and got myself a weight gainer. Worked wonders. You should consider picking up one. My next bulk though I doubt im going to use one. I just love eating way to much. mmmmm cheesecake and tons of carbs.

Stuff I cant have now

-jordan
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 04-19-2006 at 09:29 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Wow. I've seriously never in my life met a person that couldnt or had trouble with gourging themselves. I wish I was bulking now Cutting stinks.

If its seriously a problem for you try to inlcude more liquid foods. You can make a pretty clean cut liquid weight gainer that has a buttload of calories. All you need is some whey, 2% milk, and peanuts or oats and your good to go.

I went out and got myself a weight gainer. Worked wonders. You should consider picking up one. My next bulk though I doubt im going to use one. I just love eating way to much. mmmmm cheesecake and tons of carbs.

Stuff I cant have now

-jordan
    haha its ok, ill eat that deliscious stuff for you.
    I've tried a weight gainer before, and your right, it does work. But, it also has you sitting on the crapper twice as much as well. Too much gets wasted. I would rather eat food, but it's hard to match something like 600 cals in a shake.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

It's hard for some people. My first attempt at a bulk back in January died a horrible death because I couldn't choke down 3k clean calories a day for more than a week or two. I just didn't want to eat after a few weeks of that. I'm not wimping out this time, though.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

there must be 3-4 foods that are your favorite, you can alternate between them and weight gainers. mix it up to break the eating routine. it gets tiring at first, and i did go through a week that i did not want to eat, but then came back to "normal"
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

I swear sometimes I actually feel like I hate food. Its so hard to intake the amount of cals needed on a bulk. Sure people suggest cheesecake, half a bag of cookies, a litre of ice cream and of course, all the rest of your meals in a day...but imo I just dont find this the right way to bulk. Eating whatever in sight at anytime even if its complete junk? Any comments about bulking this way?

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I used to stay up until 2:30 AM or later regularly just throwing down calories. I'm still up at that hour now, but that's because I have a universal pass to all Bangbro's affiliated adult videos.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I used to stay up until 2:30 AM or later regularly just throwing down calories. I'm still up at that hour now, but that's because I have a universal pass to all Bangbro's affiliated adult videos.
    Damn son.. I have sleeping problems and it's my gf's time of the month... HOOK A BROTHA UP!!
    When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I swear sometimes I actually feel like I hate food. Its so hard to intake the amount of cals needed on a bulk. Sure people suggest cheesecake, half a bag of cookies, a litre of ice cream and of course, all the rest of your meals in a day...but imo I just dont find this the right way to bulk. Eating whatever in sight at anytime even if its complete junk? Any comments about bulking this way?

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php

Shakes theirs a thread on the go at the moment in this diet forum that has atleast 6 different shake recipes all are about 1000 cals take a look
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours
    haha its ok, ill eat that deliscious stuff for you.
    I've tried a weight gainer before, and your right, it does work. But, it also has you sitting on the crapper twice as much as well. Too much gets wasted. I would rather eat food, but it's hard to match something like 600 cals in a shake.
    Well like built said. Eat till your uncomfortable not till you puke. Your body will adapt because its good like that. Just remember how big you want your stomach to be though. If you can eat 2 large pizza's in one sitting that stomach will be a pain to deal with if you ever want to cut.

-jordan
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Banned
    It's too easy to eat you're required calories. Check it out:

Make 3-5 high-calorie protein shakes and drink them with all, or most of your meals during the day. Eat 5-6 small meals a day. 2-3 hours apart. Here's an example:

2 cups 1% milk = 200 calories
    1/3 cup Carnation Instant Breakfast = 130 calories
    1 scoop ON Vanilla Ice Cream Whey Protein Powder = 120 calories
    1/3 Cup SACO dry milk = 80 calories
    1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil = 120 calories
    a little cinnamon to sprinkle
    a few drips of vanilla flavoring

650 calories.

Chug that shake!

Add a 1/4 cup of walnuts (handful) = 200 calories
    And a banana = 100 calories

Wow, big, guy, that's 950 calories you just slammed right there!

Keep that up, and 950 x 6 = 5,700 calories, wwoooohhh!!

Just replace the solid foods with your required nutrients (lean meat, whole wheat sandwich, whole wheat bagel, rice, vegetables, etc) and keep the shake each meal! Remember to eat a clean, high-protein meal before bed (milk, whey protein, and cottage cheese are perfect!), and you'll see serious results in two weeks. I promise!

One last thing, GET GOOD SLEEP! 8-10 hours, ok? You're welcome!

lol thanks Urban Smooth.. Iv'e made great gains in the past from my training and eating habits, but now I'm just trying to find a way to get over this repetitivness. Shakes are a great idea though. I currently will drink one nice calorie packed shake before bed, or even for breakfast. Having one with each meal is a good idea though.
    It isn't that I cant get the required amouts of calories, or that I dont know how or what foods to eat, but it is keeping up with it for longer than a few days.
    I think that planning my days foods, and times I will be eating them, along with expanding the type of foods I eat will help.

I got used to eating so much when I was bulking that my first cutting phase has been difficult. I really loved bulking and eating tons of food.

does anyone find that when you go too long without eating, you actually get to the point where you don't have an appetite anymore? I know thats detrimental for muscle gains and you put your body in starvation alert, but it happens. For example today, I ate an hour before my exam, then went 3 hours writing it, and it wasnt until a half an hour after the exam that I got to my prescious food. Heck by then I was so hungry that I could hardly put it down.

what would happen if i started throwing down like 9,000 calories a day, while my matenence is like 4000? would I just grow that much faster, or would it have bad side effects? i dont see why people dont utilize weight-gainers more, one shake ends up being around 1000 cals, 4 of those and ive already met my maintence, plus like 180 g protein
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success

Banned
    Keep working out, big guy. Sounds good to me.

If I'm sitting in one place for a while then I continuously sip on my shake. For instance, if I had a meal every 2 hours ... then I just sip on my shake every 5-10 minutes to where the drink is finished before the next meal. I have yet to feel bloated or lethargic from consuming excess calories that way. It becomes second nature after a while -- kind of like sipping on coffee while studying, etc.
    Last edited by eps; 04-22-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%

like nike says, Just Do It

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Eating eating and more eating... It gets tiring. Don't get me wrong, I love eating, but some days, it feels as if I just want to give up and eat like a normal chump.
    Isn't it great that we have such a high standard of living that allows us to complain about eating? I'm hypoglycemic, so food is a huge pain for me. If I go more than 3 hours without eating I get really really depressed, its wierd. So that keeps me eating. When I get inexplicably cranky or start feeling nihilistic (<- haha im serious) I realize my blood sugar is probably low.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Iv'e never heard of that before. But hey, atleast you know you will always be eating enough man.
    speaking of food, im hungry.

Yeah I find it a struggle too.

My appetite sucks so I rely a lot on liquid and calorie-dense foods - olive oil, peanut butter, cheese etc

The Big Wang
    yea diet is the hardest part... working out is the 'easier' part
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

Amen to that. I'm so ready to be done with cutting and eat again it's not even funny.
    Cause sometimes you just feel tired.
    You feel weak and when you feel weak you feel like you wanna just give up.
    But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
    and just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up
    and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.
    My Fitday